Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm unsure about the tacticof sitting back, conceding possession and then trying to hit teams on the break.

don't think that that has ever been the Derby Way.

12 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Hey @ramma got like 7 angry faces for his crap opening post in this topic - but he only has a +1 like count... don't the angry faces count towards our like count? Did facepalms count? I used to get loads of facepalms and I thought they were bumping my totals up!

Is there anything else I need to know?

They don't affect your like count, up or down. 

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What would you suggest he says?

'I'm not happy with my squad'.

Not sure that would be great management. 

No I wouldn't suggest that. Do I sound like an idiot? If you read my post you will see I advocate not saying it at all...Do you go around saying things you don't believe just because you think people expect you to say it? :mellow:

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

I think what everybody needs to get through their entitled skulls is that GR isn't our new McClaren or Clement, he's our new Clough.  He isn't here to push us over the line, or to find the final piece of the jigsaw, he's here to clear out the under-performing dross, and get us competitive again.  Yes he'll have more money to spend than Nigel did, but he'll have the same remit.  He's got a massive rebuilding job on his hands, and I would think he's smarter enough to tell Uncle Mel just what big a task it is.  The team that lines up for the 5th game of next season will be radically different to the one that did so yesterday.  Too many players on juicey contracts, to many in the comfort zone

But not with anything like Clough's stature, ability or eye for a player. 

Might be, might not, only way you will know is if you give him a chance. 

One of the main criticisms aimed at the club recently is sacking managers too quickly, here we are in August questioning the managers ability. 

The players have spoke about the troubles of adapting to new ideas, Will Hughes before he left openly admitted it effected him, Butterfield said in an interview it would also take time to adjust to how Rowett wants to play.

Sometimes it just clicks 13/14, others will take a little longer. Paul Clements tenure didn't get off to the best of starts either, 4 draws and a defeat by this stage, after the international break the points started rolling in. 

Hasn't been pretty so far granted but if we're not willing to give any manager the time to assemble his squad, get the team playing as he wants we may as well give up now and take up Bowls or something. More defeats will follow, are we ready to handle those as part of the journey because no matter who walks through that door Derby County will lose games still.

50 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I seem to recall 2 days ago GR said he was very happy with his squad. Just sayin'...

What else can he say?  

'I'm very happy to be at Derby County, but I haven't half inherited a pile o's****'

He is stuck with some expensive mistakes from previous regimes that despite saying he wanted to get rid of at the beginning of the summer, can't shift.  Thats not GRs fault and unfortunately the only cure is time.

22 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

No I wouldn't suggest that. Do I sound like an idiot? If you read my post you will see I advocate not saying it at all...Do you go around saying things you don't believe just because you think people expect you to say it? :mellow:

Not wasn't suggesting you are an idiot.

I don't know how his quote came about but I suspect it was in response to a question from local media. Doubt a 'no comment' response would go down too well with fans!

56 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I agree with most of this. My only gripe at the moment is that GR had 9 or 10 games last season, plus pre season to get his plans in place, yet to me it seems he still doesn't know his best team/formation.

He has often said he will adapt his team to suit our opposition but I've not really seen any sign of that. Not that I actually mind because I think we have a good enough squad that of we play to our own strengths that we should challenge for play offs.

Agreed. It would be nice to see other teams adapt their style to play against us, but isn't the fact he is saying that a defensive mechanism of his? It means that his mindset isn't that of 'we're a top two team and we will be better than the others'. This after last year saying anything but promotion is a failure.

Don't buy new manager syndrome. Warnock joined Cardiff last season, Wolves have a new boss, Leeds have a new boss etc

Its not been pretty since he joined. Would like to know his current win %?

11 minutes ago, David said:

Might be, might not, only way you will know is if you give him a chance. 

One of the main criticisms aimed at the club recently is sacking managers too quickly, here we are in August questioning the managers ability. 

The players have spoke about the troubles of adapting to new ideas, Will Hughes before he left openly admitted it effected him, Butterfield said in an interview it would also take time to adjust to how Rowett wants to play.

Sometimes it just clicks 13/14, others will take a little longer. Paul Clements tenure didn't get off to the best of starts either, 4 draws and a defeat by this stage, after the international break the points started rolling in. 

Hasn't been pretty so far granted but if we're not willing to give any manager the time to assemble his squad, get the team playing as he wants we may as well give up now and take up Bowls or something. More defeats will follow, are we ready to handle those as part of the journey because no matter who walks through that door Derby County will lose games still.

Yeah,you are right. ..

We are all a bit frustrated...but we do need to give him at least two seasons.

7 minutes ago, maxjam said:

What else can he say?  

'I'm very happy to be at Derby County, but I haven't half inherited a pile o's****'

He is stuck with some expensive mistakes from previous regimes that despite saying he wanted to get rid of at the beginning of the summer, can't shift.  Thats not GRs fault and unfortunately the only cure is time.

See my response to G Star Ram...frankly your retort is a tad simplistic and rather unidimensional I'm afraid. 

13 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Yeah,you are right. ..

We are all a bit frustrated...but we do need to give him at least two seasons.

2 seasons is a lot these days, only 22 managers across the Premier League and Football League have been in their job over 2 years!

I would be happy if we're all here in May with Rowett still at the club, we would be in a far better position to discuss his ability to do the job. 

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

See my response to G Star Ram...frankly your retort is a tad simplistic and rather unidimensional I'm afraid. 

I wrote 4 lines, it was never going to be deep and meaningful, but the point remains the same.  

We can't shift players that haven't performed for several seasons.  Several managers have tried to get them playing better and failed.  We're we really expecting GR to do any better?  Until we move players on and GR has a squad he can call his own it is unfair to judge.  

Summed up my opinion in 4 lines again, sorry if thats to low-brow for you.

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not wasn't suggesting you are an idiot.

I don't know how his quote came about but I suspect it was in response to a question from local media. Doubt a 'no comment' response would go down too well with fans!

Then allow me to enlighten you...there wasn't a direct question "Gary, are you happy with your squad?" Answer yes or no. 

GR answered a question about transfers with the line about being happy with the squad. So, if not happy why say it? 

If I was the current Derby County manager, I wouldn't be happy. 

Im not advocating getting rid of GR he's a top bloke and a top manager. But he does need in my view to start applying a more radical approach because extrapolating from this point forwards shows we are in for a very average and poor on the eye football season. 

What Derby need to do is not keep buying players until we have get rid of the players we need to. It's like we have a ship that keep getting holes and we just patch them up before another one starts to leak.

If that means fighting a relegation battle because we need to blood some academy players, so be it.

We can then judge GR after this.

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Then allow me to enlighten you...there wasn't a direct question "Gary, are you happy with your squad?" Answer yes or no. 

GR answered a question about transfers with the line about being happy with the squad. So, if not happy why say it? 

If I was the current Derby County manager, I wouldn't be happy. 

Im not advocating getting rid of GR he's a top bloke and a top manager. But he does need in my view to start applying a more radical approach because extrapolating from this point forwards shows we are in for a very average and poor on the eye football season. 

Not trying to enlighten you as I struggle to enlighten myself at the best of times, but say Rowett says no, I'm not happy at all we need to shift half of this squad out and bring in another 5/6 players. FFP restrictions, other clubs blowing us out the water on targets and unable to move players on, when the window shuts Rowett has to work with that squad that's probably thinking f*** him. 

Nigel Pearson will tell you what happens when this squad says f*** him.

The fact he's refused to rule out further signings and admitted they are still looking says he's not 100% happy with the squad, 2 new players in a team can change things massively. Having missed out on Gallagher and Toral already he's probably watching his words so not to upset the current set of players as they are the ones that can send him back to the Job Centre.

54 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What would you suggest he says?

'I'm not happy with my squad'.

Not sure that would be great management. 

He has already said ,  any player can leave if his transfer valuation of them is met by another club.Surely they realise he wants rid of most of them.

We have to stick with GR and let him build his own side,only time will tell if he is up to the job.

Archived