Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

12 months on from Pearson and not much has changed has it. Yes some of younger better players have gone, and we have brought in aging has beens- what ever happened to building for the future as you can't really do that with players aged 30 plus. Didnt Mel mention the style play he wanted to see us play (remember the Derby way he was saying) a few seasons back. What has happened?  Will GR still be here come the end of Sept?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SNADS - Situation Normal Another Disappointing Season

I am very grateful that Mel has pumped tons of his own cash into the club, and more power to his elbow, However, something is still missing. We are slipping into that 'still loads of games to go..... will soon click into place' syndrome we are always succumbing to.

If we are serious about progressing - We have to start winning games NOW. Play every minute like its the last minute of the play off final and we need a goal.

I can't help thinking it's got a lot to do with leadership on the pitch. I love RK but we need someone who loses his ***** when a mistake is made. Someone who has the maintenance guys having to re-plaster the tunnel all the time.

7 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

SNADS - Situation Normal Another Disappointing Season

I am very grateful that Mel has pumped tons of his own cash into the club, and more power to his elbow, However, something is still missing. We are slipping into that 'still loads of games to go..... will soon click into place' syndrome we are always succumbing to.

If we are serious about progressing - We have to start winning games NOW. Play every minute like its the last minute of the play off final and we need a goal.

I can't help thinking it's got a lot to do with leadership on the pitch. I love RK but we need someone who loses his ***** when a mistake is made. Someone who has the maintenance guys having to re-plaster the tunnel all the time.

I agree we need more passion on the pitch but I'm struggling to see who, from the current squad, could bring that.

Bradley Johnson and Chris Martin come to mind, but are they guaranteed their place?

8 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

We all know Mel only had a 6 pack of managers in his fridge 

Mac x2 Wassall Powell Pearson and Rowett,

So there is no way he will Sack Gaz, or he will have to take over himself 

Hold on a minute.................

I didn't know that.

And I have no idea of the point you are trying to make either.

10 hours ago, Boss said:

I just wish Elsnik would get a chance. Give him a few games and see what he can do. Johnson and Bryson seem to have 1 good game in 5 similar to most of our players tbf. Elsnik could be our next Hughes, but we'll never know unless he gets a go 

You'd be hard pressed to find a more composed player than Elsnik. He's cool as a cucumber and has obvious quality. Id agree that you'd tend to think he'd really help.  

4 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I'm not adverse to us obsessing on the hard working side of things...

It's the sitting back and hopeful punts into the channels at every opportunity that seems to be our only apparent game plan at the moment. That's the part that isn't really captivating me. Yes in the past we have tended to over play it at times and that can be equally frustrating but sometimes you need to retain possession to draw a team out of its defensive shape.

For me hopeful punts ain't the way to go. Only time will tell if it's effective in the long run and more importantly if the players buy into that philosophy. 

I hope not. What a philosophy to buy into. :( But we've seen with more than one manager that it's no good trying to get round pegs into square holes, this squad aren't really set up for that kind of game. GR said it would be 'horses for courses' tactics/formation-wise. Ain't seen any really evidence of doing that.

7 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

In addition to this,GR and some of the fan base, seemed to obsessed with everyone working hard.....can we not just get them playing with skill and intelligence?...it's not bloody rugby and if we ever,ever get into the premiership,we won't last five minutes playing like Welsh miners at the annual hoofball knockabout,we will need to play with some art and style....

I need to move on I suppose but I soooo wish we had been successful in the 2014 season,our play was beautiful and we could have progressed and not regressed as we have.

Agree with a lot of this but TBF I think we have to have three sides to our game. We need to be hard working so that we are able to defend well and win the ball back. We also need to have skill and intelligence to break teams down, coupled with confidence in front of goal to take our chances.

The signs after the 2013/14 season were that we were capable of doing these but maybe not consistently enough. The following season we looked good again until the Spring. Since then consistency of approach and results has IMO lead to big decline in confidence.

We have good players (though there are obviously always better ones) but I think all the chopping and changing of managers/coaches and differences in tactics have hindered us. As a result there has been a regression in overall performances and results.

I too, like many it seems, have not been enamoured so far with what I've seen (on TV and online) but I think Rowett needs time and we, as a club, desperately need some consistency in the management/coaching. What I, like a lot I think, want to see is some kind of recognisable style developing. Hopefully that will come soon. If this style turns out to be 'hoofing' it continuously into space down the flanks then I don't think Rowett will ultimately be successful here. However, if this is used as one aspect of our game it could be effective. We have to become a team with many 'strings to our bow' so that the opposition find it a lot more difficult to 'find us out' and nullify our play.

COYR and here's to Rowett getting us 'walking the walk' (rather than just 'talking the talk') :)

P.S. Bristol away will be my first game of the season so I'm hoping to see signs of improvement then :thumbsup:  (£32 :()

You cannot ignore the fact the players are the only constant in the past 3 years. 5 managers have tried and failed to get the best out of them (or they have got the best out of them, they're just now good enough!) 

I think most sensible people are in agreement Rowett needs to be given time. Some people think he isn't the right man, whether he is or he isn't it's irrelevant. The constant change of the past 3 seasons is a big reason as to why we haven't progressed, continuing to change manager will only take us further backwards. Mel has selected Rowett as his man to turn things around, we should back him even if that means mid table mediocrity for the next 2 seasons. At worst the overpaid overrated deadwood will have left the club, wages will have been brought into line, academy products given a chance, giving us a solid base on which to build again.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

You should pay more attention then.

He did excellent jobs at both Burton and Birmingham.

His win % is some 10% ahead of Nigel Cloughs.

He's a bloody good salesman I'll give him that to sell himself to Mel Morris. But has he ever won anything? 

Just now, Mikeyboy said:

He's a bloody good salesman I'll give him that to sell himself to Mel Morris. But has he ever won anything? 

No but I'm sure I can name plenty of good managers that haven't. 

92 league managers and only 4 league titles and 2 cups up for grabs every season. 

Do you Mauricio Pochettino as a manager?

19 hours ago, Inglorius said:

Bloated squad, doesn't that mean Rowett has the luxury which a lot of his peers in the Championship don't have of having a large pool of players to select from, why is this always being touted as a negative 

It's harder to keep more people happy than less.

There is no doubt GR is up to the job, its a whether you want to watch pretty football or an alternative of huff it up. Either way results are what he will be judged upon. Personally i do think he needs to still offload 6 or so  players and bring in those that he wants to. Trouble is if we dont get results will Mel still keep him?

PistoldPete2

Seems we are back to the days of Nigel Clough... Boring play, defeats to mediocre sides , billy sharp scoring for fun against us. It's not so much the Derby way , more the Burton way. 

Truth of the matter is nobody knows ,he had a decent win ratio at Burton and Brum and is generally touted as one of the upper coming young managers in the game .

He has never won anything as a manager and he has never managed a club with the weight of expectation on him that he has now.

If Mel wanted instant success he has picked the wrong managers several times as even good managers don't have that certain something to get teams over the line to either promotion or a cup success.

The manager with a track record [Pearson] didn't last I I guess we will never know why. So back to Rowett at best he has potential and worst he is an inexperienced manager at trying to get a club like Derby to the prem .

Tactically it looks like he has a lot to learn, transfer wise price wise incoming looks quite good , out going looks like sold cheap again will we ever know the exact fees.

As for substance when he arrived he said he knew what was required and over a third of the side [4] are now his signings so personally I would have expected more .

Jury's out and only time will tell, but he will either be out soon or he will turn us round and we will be sitting here in 18 months time hoping he's not off to a bigger club.

2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

You cannot ignore the fact the players are the only constant in the past 3 years. 5 managers have tried and failed to get the best out of them (or they have got the best out of them, they're just now good enough!)

Except they aren't the same ones! But of course it's always the players, how else can you field a team?!

The one vague consistency is that the playing squad haven't been chosen by one manager with a plan, bar Clough. So unless GR is able to get the best out of a squad we'll keep having Groundhog Day until we find a manager that can.

On 26/08/2017 at 22:18, TroyDyer said:

I don't think pleasing (most) fans is that hard. They want a team that cares about the club as much as the fans do. That's pretty much it. 

I will have infinitely more respect for Gary Teale and Jake Buxton, than I will Bradley Johnson. Not as good technically but I would trade in a heartbeat. 

Johnson's easily the least technical of the three, which is especially bad considering Bucko was a centre-half. 

Archived