Sunderland v Derby County - Match day thread

Kernow

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An honest review 4 3 3 Is too safe in a Rowett set up . Will work in a tough away game , which I suppose in some aspects today was. 

4-2-3-1 suits us better with Thorne fit Buutetfied , Weimann  and Johnson out for Vydra , Thorne and Bennett. 

Thought Keogh played well, Russell did well. Carson's top class.

Needs to improve Forsyth waaaaay over rated. Johnson and Butterfield need to show there class ( They have it , so show it )

5 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Not much at the minute, but we he's not had the career he's had by doing nothing all the time. He's just either really lacking confidence or doesn't quite fit how Rowett wants to play.

If we play 4-2-3-1 then he suits that one alongside Huddlestone to a tee. In a 4-3-3 I think we need Bryson's energy.

My biggest issue with that game is that I didn't see anything, in terms of a change in our style of play/system, that made me think "Oh yes, that's looking better!" 

A 4-3-3 with no Ince is a grim watch. No surprise to see us finally look like threatening when we switched to a 4-2-3-1 with Vydra behind Martin. 

Just now, Andicis said:

No, we've just drawn with a bang average Championship side, I agree it's hardly the end of the world, but let's not try glorify them, they'll finish mid table this season.

How have you come to the conclusion they are "bang average"? On paper their team is strong at this level. 

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

It was bog standard but we know we can perform better. They created better chances and situations. We created many opportunities for them ourselves. 

We certainly need to. I'm not judging our season. Just that game. Second best to second balls. Naive full backs, a one man midfield for 70 minutes... I don't think they looked strong defensively at all and if we had got at them as composed as they came at us (which was still erratic) then we'd have scored goals. In fact the last 20 minutes shows this. They were nervous when we go at them. But we were too busy making our own problems and inviting them to attack. 

I'll give you most of that, but as it went on I though we improved. Wisdom case in point. Fozzy rusty, understandably, at times. We all think that the 4 between Thud and the wardrobe is the problem. Vydra impressed when he came on, decent cameo, and there's money for a bit more class in there. I'm staying positive after that. Not saying you aren't, btw.

I feel sorry for some of you lot. If you're getting this angry and upset over a 1-1 away draw against a recently relegated side on the opening day of the season, it's probably best if you avoid matches against Bolton, Burton, Millwall etc. because I can't imagine what you'd feel like if we lose those.

Sunderland should have had us buried in the first half but hey, if you cannot score...Russell ran his socks off as usual, Carson world class save, Martin...when was the last time he was seen to run at a defence, beat a man and have a shot...I am serious. Defence....come on sort yourselves out. I saw, on more than one occasion at least 7...yes 7 Derby players in the box and we seemed all at sea. Plus points...few and far between mind, we did come into it more at times certainly after we scored. On the whole, a point away was most welcome.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Didn't see no passing when he did have the ball. Happy to see him go, but who would have him? The same team who want Blackman?!

I disagree I thought he made quite a few nice passes out to wide players when we started to actually look to play football after 70 bloody minutes.

Just now, jimbo jones said:

How have you come to the conclusion they are "bang average"? On paper their team is strong at this level. 

On paper which of their players is strong? I can't name many of their players and call them 'quality' at all, and I'm coming to conclusion what I've just seen, pre season, and based off of their squad, calling them Premier League is preposterous. 

3 minutes ago, sage said:

There is a positive. Despite playing poorly we drew away at a relegated Prem team despite ,missing two sitters and having a penalty given against us.

FIFY

The ball was just behing Martin and for Nuge was just underhit to him.

8 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

In that game, I don't think we looked like a team. Maybe one or two players from a team, but not quite yet. 

Pre-season was a failure.  No work on partnerships, no sharpness, no real plan, and going in with an incomplete team.

It will get better but its very disappointing right now. 

3 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

@David can I request an emoji to be added to the interactions? I use this ? Quite often and I feel it best sums up my reaction to this post. I guess it's shocked/dumbfounded?! 

He won't do it. @David promised me a sheep emoji months ago but it never materialised. 

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

I feel sorry for some of you lot. If you're getting this angry and upset over a 1-1 away draw against a recently relegated side on the opening day of the season, it's probably best if you avoid matches against Bolton, Burton, Millwall etc. because I can't imagine what you'd feel like if we lose those.

Same old, same old though Cam

early days I know. But Rowetts had the end of last season and all of the summer to address our issues. . . 

To me we look exactly the same as last season, defensively prone to mistakes and toothless up front. 

We can't keep going into every season with the same issues.

Good point against a team we haven't beaten since the year dot. With a bit more composure in front of goal it would of been 3 points. Always good to get something from an away game. If we had drawn at home to Sunderland tonight I would be well p@ssed off though, they were average at best.

Archived