Sunderland v Derby County - Match day thread

Kernow

The thing that really peed me off tonight was when the players are trying the impossible when it clearly isn't going to work, and there are better options elsewhere. For example, in the first half when Johnny Russell decided to volley a shot with his back, pretty much togoal, on his right foot, which ultimately ended up in Newcastle! Butterfield was screaming for it as he was actually in a decent position. Players need to stop being greedy and glory hunting and look up to find different options which could realistically lead to a goal....

Rant over

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Fraser_23 said:

The thing that really peed me off tonight was when the players are trying the impossible when it clearly isn't going to work, and there are better options elsewhere. For example, in the first half when Johnny Russell decided to volley a shot with his back, pretty much togoal, on his right foot, which ultimately ended up in Newcastle! Butterfield was screaming for it as he was actually in a decent position. Players need to stop being greedy and glory hunting and look up to find different options which could realistically lead to a goal....

Rant over

Yeah I noticed that as well, I think was a symptom of general bigger problem in that we were trying to force the play too much when we had the ball.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

But they lost 4-3 though in the game he scored the hattrick, unless you mean the home game where the likes of Modric helped him a lot.

Ha! Did they?? I remember it as though he scored a hat trick in the second leg and beat them all by himself... did that not happen? Ok fine, your point is valid.

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

I agree with most of this, I feel your a little unfair on Martin but I see where your coming from. He had a few nice touches at times when he had the ball but the operative word is when. Martin has never and will never look good in a team with how we set up tonight with the ball mindlessly lumped up to him, little to no service and nobody providing supporting runs.

I suppose, on balance, you are right. But l feared that without a few criticisms here and there l might have been in danger of becoming over supportive of our team, and l didn't want to stand out from the mob.

Just now, Parsnip said:

Ha! Did they?? I remember it as though he scored a hat trick in the second leg and beat them all by himself... did that not happen? Ok fine, your point is valid.

I don't blame you the way the English media were going on at the time :lol:. That was when they started saying he was better than messi and Ronaldo. Looks like Inter were 4-0 up before Bale stole the show in the second half.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/9102192.stm

Carson, 7, steady and a couple of excellent saves

Fozzy, 5, pretty rusty; got skinned a few times and delivery was poor

Davies, 7, steady, nothing special

Keogh, 8, beast of a defender and the best CB at the club

Wisdom, 7, iffy start but grew into the game, looks like he can deliver a good ball as well

Huddelstone, 8, MOM for us. Beast of a player

Johnson, 3, apart from the goal he was awful

Butterfield, 2, the guy has lost his ability to play football

Wieman, 5, everyone loves a trier, but he has no end product

Russel, 5, frustrating; can be good but below average the majority of the time

Martin, 7, didn't do much wrong

Nugent, not enough time

Vydra, 7, brilliant when he came on, added something we were missing

Bryson, 7, great header back across the goal, needed more minutes

That's my humble opinion, but we really need at least one winger and an attacking midfielder if we want to finish top 6. Can't see us anywhere near there if we don't improve the ACM and the wings.

Fair result tbh. Some Derby fans are so embarrassed (Is there any need to abuse players on FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON?) f*** OFF. :angry:

My view for what its worth. Butterfield & Johnson abysmal. No pressing, not showing for the ball  VERY disappointing. Wisdom poor first half improved second half. Keogh very good. Martin did as well as possible considering the poor midfield. Glad Russell was on the pitch for his movement and showing for the ball and tracking back but Johnny PLEASE find a consistent end product. Weimann very poor, no effect on the game. Forsyth looks cumbersome...........hopefully just needs time to play himself back to form. Davies slowly improved from a slow start but still much to prove. Vydra....Must play next game.

Conclusion: Goodbye Butterfield, Johnson & Weimann. Hello ?????? 

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I don't blame you the way the English media were going on at the time :lol:. That was when they started saying he was better than messi and Ronaldo. Looks like Inter were 4-0 up before Bale stole the show in the second half.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/9102192.stm

I'm pretty sure Rooney beat fernabache by himself - I watched that drunk in a bar in jakarta at stupid AM so could be wrong. And more recently Ronaldo definitely won the Euro final by himself from the sidelines.

15 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Messi ?

Rarely much use defensively. If they all tracked back, blocked runs, won headers, blocked passes, shots and crosses like him then he'd need to score even more. 

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

My view for what its worth. Butterfield & Johnson abysmal. No pressing, not showing for the ball  VERY disappointing. Wisdom poor first half improved second half. Keogh very good. Martin did as well as possible considering the poor midfield. Glad Russell was on the pitch for his movement and showing for the ball and tracking back but Johnny PLEASE find a consistent end product. Weimann very poor, no effect on the game. Forsyth looks cumbersome...........hopefully just needs time to play himself back to form. Davies slowly improved from a slow start but still much to prove. Vydra....Must play next game.

Conclusion: Goodbye Butterfield, Johnson & Weimann. Hello ?????? 

I would keep Johnson, I think he, Huddlestone and a creative player with energy might work well together, the 3 that played tonight are too similar really and none have the legs and pace that is needed...

The tactic of hitting long balls from the back inevitably creates a scrappy game and by-passes midfield.

I thought martin did ok - some nice lay offs - but faded

butterfield and johnson not in it

horrendous error from the pair of them almost cost us the game

Wonderful save from carson

But very little football from us.

I think it's going to be a few weeks before we click.

The starting eleven have only played together for two games (let's not forget that) with five of those players basically like new signings.

Some of the elements were obvious, so why didn't Rowett try to develop partnerships or some sense of familiarity during pre-season? Keogh and Davies being the obvious one. They should have been playing alongside each other from day 1.

It surprises me too that he has opted for a midfield three without Bryson - especially odd knowing how effectively he and Martin have played together in that set-up in the past.

I don't think he'll scrap this eleven for a few weeks yet, mind you, unless results are impossible to stomach. He'll be thinking that it needs time to blossom. 

But it's clear that the gauntlet has been set down for Vydra, Nugent and Bryson and if they take their opportunities, something will change.

10 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Carson, 7, steady and a couple of excellent saves

Fozzy, 5, pretty rusty; got skinned a few times and delivery was poor

Davies, 7, steady, nothing special

Keogh, 8, beast of a defender and the best CB at the club

Wisdom, 7, iffy start but grew into the game, looks like he can deliver a good ball as well

Huddelstone, 8, MOM for us. Beast of a player

Johnson, 3, apart from the goal he was awful

Butterfield, 2, the guy has lost his ability to play football

Wieman, 5, everyone loves a trier, but he has no end product

Russel, 5, frustrating; can be good but below average the majority of the time

Martin, 7, didn't do much wrong

Nugent, not enough time

Vydra, 7, brilliant when he came on, added something we were missing

Bryson, 7, great header back across the goal, needed more minutes

That's my humble opinion, but we really need at least one winger and an attacking midfielder if we want to finish top 6. Can't see us anywhere near there if we don't improve the ACM and the wings.

So you can give Bryson a score, who was on the pitch for less time than Nugent

Archived