Sunderland v Derby County - Match day thread

Kernow

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

I felt in the first half he was a small part of the reason why we resorted to hoofing it. When one of the defenders or Huddlestone received the ball, Butterfield and Johnson were rarely in space to then receive a pass. Once we changed to 4-2-3-1 I think Vydra's movement combined with Sunderland's tiredness gave Butterfield that yard or two of extra space and then we saw his play improve. He just needs to have a bit more confidence and be willing to take the risk.

He's not a young player, Butterfield should be dictating play from midfield. He doesn't. What does he do?

1 minute ago, ramit said:

We were robbed, two clear penalties not given.

Some rusty legs out there though, but it will come.

This is a very different Derby side than we are used to, i think perhaps that is part of the reason for some of the unfair criticism in the thread

The Curtis Davies/Keogh one I'd argue probably was a penalty.

But the other shout was not. Superb tackle from Cattermole, absolutely superb. 

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Better than what? He has no energy and is ordinary in the rest of his game.

He was poor for most the game but really wasn't helped by the fact anytime a defender got the ball it was booted forward aimlessly, it's hard for a midfielder whos game is passing the ball around to have an effect if he doesn't have the chuffing ball.

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

I think we will get two more, one being a loanee. However will that happen in a week? Looking towards Wolves, I'd be happy with one but hopefully there'll be a duo come September.

Oh yeah I see what you're saying. We might as well throw Mason on against wolves and gear up for a deadline day extravaganza - I love a good deadline day extravaganza. 

1 minute ago, LazloW said:

Immediate post match analysis seems to be pretty much the same as analysis of players; it is either absolute crap or absolutely brilliant.  No room for average, no room for Ok.  Obviously it wasn't a great performance. nobody would say it was... but come on 'crap' is a bit of an over reaction.  There is a lot of scope to be worse than that!! 

There is huge room for improvement and we clearly need a player or two, but perhaps take a breath before jumping up and down on the team.  A point away to Sunderland must go down as a good result, whatever the performance.  

Thank you LazloW

Martin and Nugent get those chances halfway through the season they bury them. But then Sunderland probably bury theirs too. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's not a young player, Butterfield should be dictating play from midfield. He doesn't. What does he do?

Not much at the minute, but we he's not had the career he's had by doing nothing all the time. He's just either really lacking confidence or doesn't quite fit how Rowett wants to play.

Just now, brady1993 said:

He was poor for most the game but really wasn't helped by the fact anytime a defender got the ball it was booted forward aimlessly, it's hard for a midfielder whos game is passing the ball around to have an effect if he doesn't have the chuffing ball.

Didn't see no passing when he did have the ball. Happy to see him go, but who would have him? The same team who want Blackman?!

1 minute ago, needles said:

Bit harsh Alpha to be fair. It was bog standard championship game for me. 25 minutes second half we owned it. Stats were evenish.

We did alright and we know we're trying to sign more.

It was bog standard but we know we can perform better. They created better chances and situations. We created many opportunities for them ourselves. 

We certainly need to. I'm not judging our season. Just that game. Second best to second balls. Naive full backs, a one man midfield for 70 minutes... I don't think they looked strong defensively at all and if we had got at them as composed as they came at us (which was still erratic) then we'd have scored goals. In fact the last 20 minutes shows this. They were nervous when we go at them. But we were too busy making our own problems and inviting them to attack. 

5 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I'll stick with the positives:

- Wisdom throws how he wants.

- We can improve (and I seriously hope we do. A lot.)

- Carson, Huds and Vydra we're alright.

For u no to name keogh is disgraceful

far and away the best derby player on show 

Just now, dcfcfan1 said:

Our squad has got weaker this transfer market and its showing. Can see a 10th place finish without any additions

I applaud you for translating your disappointment into realistic opinion rather than falling into the abyss of the wrist slashers. I'd say 10th with this squad isn't a terrible shout. But we still have window!

I didnt even realise butterfield was playing in that second half. He does nothing for me. Doesn't press, hes slow to turn, passed backwards, has no effect on the game. Give bryson a run of games, at least he pressed the opposition and has a bit of willing to run for the team about him.

Positives:

Keogh, vydra, hudds

Take an away point at a relegated prem team and move on. Need some new wingers and a center mid thats going to impose himself on the game. 

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

In summery a draw fair result.

Key point: Lack of sharpness. Just to much panic first half, too much sloppy ness second.

Missed two glorious chances to win it.

I think we'll get better new signings or not just through getting into the groove.

Keogh motm.

I'm afraid we'll see such panic quite often. 3/4 of our defenders are simply poor with the ball, we'll see quite a lot hoofing this season. Against such a high press, Baird would be a better option IMO.

5 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Actually think Butterfield looked a hell of a lot better when we shifted to two in the middle. We actually started making an effort to move the ball through the midfield as opposed to aimlessly lumping it and surprise surprise he made a couple nice passes. There is no point playing him though if plan a is to hoof.

He messed up giving a pen away. Other than that he was fine, no worse than anyone else. But you're right. If we are just going to miss midfield out (except Tom) then don't play him. 

I thought we were average tonight. But it's a point away at a big club. Hardly the end of the world. 

Still can't believe Martin's miss. 

Archived