Sunderland v Derby County - Match day thread

Kernow

Russell, Weimann, Butterfield not good enough. Not a reaction from just this game, but over several seasons. Need replacements asap otherwise another mediocre season awaits. Not knee yerk reaction, no 1st game moans, just facts. 

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

From that game I would go with a 4-2-3-1. We looked good playing that way end of last season, carved out two fantastic opportunities to win the game in the last 15 playing that way too.

For Wolves, hoping something along the lines of...

Back 5 the same.

Johnson Huddlestone

Russell Vydra NEW

Martin

Looks lovely but we need 2 NEWs so we can keep Russell and NEW on their toes. I don't mind Russell being first choice but he needs competition for his place, and so will NEW.

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Moment of the game for me was when JR picked up the ball wide right, sprinted past one player, nearly cut inside past another, Derby on the break, fans off their seats, and he manages to pick out  the only Sunderland player near him with a pass, rather than any of the on-rushing Derby players.

Classic!

Was still more than Weimann did!

You need to clean your misery glasses.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Butterfield can fook off for me, what did he offer today?

4 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Keogh was absolutely incredible.

Russell was very good but started to become sloppy during the 2nd half.

Huddlestone looked decent and we saw the odd glorious pass or 2.

Carson was fantastic.

Vydra changed the game in our favour.

For the short period he was on, Bryson made more of an attacking contribution than Butterfield did all game, although he was put into a deeper role when Vydra came on to be fair to him.

The rest were average/poor.

The only good kick Johnson did was the goal. He's getting off lightly because of the general feeling towards Butterfield. Butterfield was poor but he finished strongly. Johnson was awful and if Cattermole had an attacking element to his game then we'd have probably conceded a second

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yeah, anyone moaning about the long term is out of order.

But that performance was crap. It really was. Why would anyone dress it up any differently? For what purpose? 

Nothing wrong with calling it like it is. Sunderland were the better side, created better chances, forced good saves, hit the woodwork, isolated the CB's, ran the midfield and made better use of set pieces.

You could say Wisdom, Weimann, Johnson, Butters, Forsyth, Davies all played well if we want. But does it make it true? 

We didn't play well at all. You must know that?

Bit harsh Alpha to be fair. It was bog standard championship game for me. 25 minutes second half we owned it. Stats were evenish.

We did alright and we know we're trying to sign more.

19 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Not a fan of Huddlestone taking corners because 1. He only floats it in so easier for opposition defenders to read it and 2. It leaves us vulnerable on the counter attack because it takes him a while to get back into position.

Thought we looked more dangerous from corners than for s long time , least it's getting past the first man!!

thought keogh played well and wisdom, butters is the weak link. Draw ok thought Martin or nugent might of nicked it towards the end but they did hit the post so maybe a good point away. 

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yeah, anyone moaning about the long term is out of order.

But that performance was crap. It really was. Why would anyone dress it up any differently? For what purpose? 

Nothing wrong with calling it like it is. Sunderland were the better side, created better chances, forced good saves, hit the woodwork, isolated the CB's, ran the midfield and made better use of set pieces.

You could say Wisdom, Weimann, Johnson, Butters, Forsyth, Davies all played well if we want. But does it make it true? 

We didn't play well at all. You must know that?

This.

Just now, Parsnip said:

Looks lovely but we need 2 NEWs so we can keep Russell and NEW on their toes. I don't mind Russell being first choice but he needs competition for his place, and so will NEW.

I think we will get two more, one being a loanee. However will that happen in a week? Looking towards Wolves, I'd be happy with one but hopefully there'll be a duo come September.

Well we would have taken a point

carson - fine

wisdom - some sloppy got forward well

keogh - our MOM 

Davies - ok

forsyth - some sloppy got forward well

huddlestone - what we expect

butterfield - better second half first half invisable

Johnson - scored - great not a lot else still can't control the ball or pass it

russell - some good some bad but starts with an assist 

wieman -  never much involved

martin - some good link up play and won a lot of free kicks - should have got his shot on goal and scored

subs

vydra - looked as if he can combine with Martin 

nugent - did little but still had a chance to win it

bryson - no time 

first half we were poor sitting well back and with Butterfield and Johnson there we simply don't pass forwards I don't think we can play with them like that, Butterfield unlucky with the penalty as in the rules I think it still says it has to be deliberate second half we were better but it is central midfield where we need some legs on the pitch which bothers me

sunderland were long ball and mcgeedy would have done us without doubt for half a million

opening day a point which we take.

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Actually think Butterfield looked a hell of a lot better when we shifted to two in the middle. We actually started making an effort to move the ball through the midfield as opposed to aimlessly lumping it and surprise surprise he made a couple nice passes. There is no point playing him though if plan a is to hoof.

I felt in the first half he was a small part of the reason why we resorted to hoofing it. When one of the defenders or Huddlestone received the ball, Butterfield and Johnson were rarely in space to then receive a pass. Once we changed to 4-2-3-1 I think Vydra's movement combined with Sunderland's tiredness gave Butterfield that yard or two of extra space and then we saw his play improve. He just needs to have a bit more confidence and be willing to take the risk.

We were robbed, two clear penalties not given.

Some rusty legs out there though, but it will come.

This is a very different Derby side than we are used to, i think perhaps that is part of the reason for some of the unfair criticism in the thread

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

Moment of the game for me was when JR picked up the ball wide right, sprinted past one player, nearly cut inside past another, Derby on the break, fans off their seats, and he manages to pick out  the only Sunderland player near him with a pass, rather than any of the on-rushing Derby players.

Classic!

I noted that one too. And then a minute later he played another sloppy pass. So frustrating because he gets himself into great positions and clearly has some skill. 

Immediate post match analysis seems to be pretty much the same as analysis of players; it is either absolute crap or absolutely brilliant.  No room for average, no room for Ok.  Obviously it wasn't a great performance. nobody would say it was... but come on 'crap' is a bit of an over reaction.  There is a lot of scope to be worse than that!! 

There is also huge room for improvement and we clearly need a player or two, but perhaps take a breath before jumping up and down on the team.  A point away to Sunderland must go down as a good result, whatever the performance.  

Just now, superzak said:

Rowett will go the same way as last few ...not a clue

It's amazing that we keep managing to find all these managers who don't have a clue. 

It's almost as if they're all starting to build their team and then getting booted before completing it and leaving future managers with players that don't suit them. Players that no-one else wants or wont pay them what we are. Almost.

Enjoy your weekend.

Carson 7

Wisdom 6.5

Keogh 8 - Our MOTM

Davies 6

Forsyth 5

Huddlestone 6

Butterfield 5

Johnson 5

Russell 6.5

Weimann 5

Martin 6

Vydra 6

Nugent 5

Opportunity wasted but as they were equally bad, but if we're looking for positives it is a point on the board away from home, and we're a point above Boro,

Lack of sharpness/terrible finishing cost us in the end, even playing poorly we could have won it if Martin or Nugent took easy opportunities.  We need a player in the middle who can take control of things.

We lacked composure, whilst positioning and passing were poor, and I was left shaking my head at long range shots numerous times.

I kind of like that it didn't paper over the cracks though, very much shows how we need a left winger and centre mid as a minimum to progress. Hopefully by the next game we'll be a step further ahead.

The first game of the season is always a complete unknown and doesn't signpost much for the rest of the season.

It was bound to be an edgy game between two teams desperate not to lose and not fluent or brave enough to win.

The performance and result next week at home to Wolves will tell us a lot more. I would expect more fluency, more polish, and definitely more intent.

The players are still finding their feet in every sense and tonight was a game of damage limitation.

The Grimsby game will be another exercise in shaking off the cobwebs.

Archived