Sunderland v Derby County - Match day thread

Kernow

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, StringerBell said:

Does Rowett have the beginning of a hair island?

I think he has a cowlick. I have one. He's done well to get some short hair where it doesnt look completely ridiculous. Ive not managed that. 

For what worth l think Butterfield was better than a good number of our other players tonight - the penalty was unfortunate/harsh.

Other than scoring Johnson did pretty much nothing (although l accept scoring is rather important!).

Sorry still can't share the Martin love - did little tonight for me. Weimann also missed an opportunity to secure his place.

Nods to Carson, Keogh, Vydra and at times Russell (the latter does get me so animated though when he does the hard work, and then gives the ball away again).

Not pretty but a point away from home against Sunderland will look alright come season end.  I think though 3 points were there for the taking.

Positives 

Keogh

Hudds

Carson

Fozzy(another 90 mins under his belt)

Vydra ( keep him as sub until he is completely fit- don't rush him)

Negatives

Narrow play

Possession lost very cheaply 

Overall : happy with the point and off we go . 

COYR?

My reunion was delayed by 30 mins so I managed to watch the opening half hour.

I can't comment for the rest of that game, but I thought we were poor in the opening 30 mins despite scoring a very good goal. The midfield for me were just non-existent.

Huddlestone is a solid enough holding midfielder, but Johnson and Butterfield didn't press the ball at all and offered nothing in terms of linking the play between the midfield and the front three. It was so disjointed.

Sunderland would have scored had it not been for a worldie of a save from Carson (Cattermole's effort), which came from a set-piece. We struggled with set-pieces in the first half, seems they kept picking up the 2nd balls.

I didn't notice Weimann at all. Don't think he touched the ball in the opening 30 mins.

Then again, aside from the goal, Johnson didn't touch the ball either.

50 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Vydra already showing what he did so well under Rowett at the end of last season.

Not sure why Vydra was dropped last season, not sure why he hasn't been favoured this pre-season, hoping he starts more going forward.

He was injured after the first game of pre season until the last game.

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I think he has a cowlick. I have one. He's done well to get some short hair where it doesnt look completely ridiculous. Ive not managed that. 

Well he might need to touch up on it, there was a lot of bare skin behind that. Looked quite Schteve-esque.

Get it sorted Gary. It ruins your school photo look.

Good point away from home. Sunderland were always going to put in a spirited performance after having a week of slander in the national press. 

Thought we looked shaken first half and scored against the run of the play. Penalty might have been dubious but struggled to see it at the other end of the ground. 

Thought we controlled the second half, and was very impressed with Vydra when he came on. 

All in all a good point away from home. Could do with a spark (Lawrence/Robinson) on the wing and a creative midfielder (Toral). Don't forget Brighton drew, and Newcastle lost their openers last year. 

Complete s****....usual scapegoats were at fault.....1-1 against a recently relegated team 1st match of the season is nowhere near good enough. We should have got 6 points....didn't watch the match mind, was at a family thing I couldn't get out of, just going from the comments on here.

The Most positive thing I saw in the game was the the very short period of time Martin and Vydra were on, I know Martin missed it badly but the movement and appreciation of each other looked very good and I think we will see a lot of joy!

9 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Same old, same old though Cam

early days I know. But Rowetts had the end of last season and all of the summer to address our issues. . . 

To me we look exactly the same as last season, defensively prone to mistakes and toothless up front. 

We can't keep going into every season with the same issues.

Not sure what people were expecting though. We went into the game with a front 3 that included 2 players most people want replaced because they aren't good enough. And although Sunderland have some off the field problems, they still had amongst their attack McGeady who was brilliant last season for Preston, Vaughan who scored 25+ goals (albeit in League 1) and Grabban who's regularly scored goals at this level. Surely people weren't expecting them to have barely any chances and us to just dominate the game? I'm in the minority, but I'm not too unhappy with that performance. We looked a little unsteady at times, especially in that first half, but on another day we could have won it. And that's without the 1 or 2 'big signings' we've hopefully got coming.

Whipping out the old cliché, but there's plenty of positives to take from today.

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He scored.

Yeah, that's ok then. That's a good way to pick a team. 

So if Butterfield scored then it's all ok. If Blackman comes on and scores

As soon as you score you've instantly played quite well and for the other 89 minutes and 58 seconds anything you do negatively such as hospital passes to all your team shall be forgiven

God struth johnny infuriates me

Ill never, ever fault his effort and work rate but my good god hes cheap with the ball

he always tries to make something happen which is grest and highlighted by hat first goal but theres a time and a place

he'll try the same thing deep i his own half and kill us 

love him, will keep him in the squad for impact etc etc but if we want to go up we must get better

Archived