Sunderland v Derby County - Match day thread

Kernow

9 minutes ago, rynny said:

He was injured after the first game of pre season until the last game.

Still unsure why he was dropped last season though. I really enjoy seeing him pick up the ball within the oppositions half of the centre-circle. It worked really well against QPR which I think was one of his best games for the club. It worked really well again tonight and a little more composure would have seen Vydra be the difference between one point and three.

A player such as Tom Lawrence to the side of Vydra, behind Martin, and I think we would look really exciting when on the attack.

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

This is about Butterfield not any of the others - what did he do?!

The same as Johnson. Fook all.

Why is it about 1 player? That's my whole point. 

No game in the history of football was ever won or lost by 1 bloke. Never. 

What Rowett has done well  is get huddlestone Davies and wisdom all solid and very dangerous contributors. We seem more resilient. We look lethal on attacking set pieces especially with Johnson and Davies in the box. What he hasn't done is gone with the Vydra/Nugent Bryson combo which would really menace defences. Weimann awful Butterfield is a game changer - for the other team! and Martin is either lame or doesn't fit Rowetts style, take your pick. That miss was horrendous. I think we will kick on once we either get Thorne back, settle on Vydra starting, and dumping Butterfield for Bryson or Elsnik.

Go back and look who made the pass  to release Vydra when Martin fluffed it. Yes it was our goal scorer BJ. A good point away from home against a relegated prem team. It could have been a lot lot better performance wise but that was a fair and decent result away from home in our first game of the season.

if hudds is going to hit the long ball EVERY time then we need to go 4231 as it Makes the CMs ineffective and look crap. Also isolates Martin.

crap performance but decent result and I'm sure things will get better performance wise

21 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

For what worth l think Butterfield was better than a good number of our other players tonight - the penalty was unfortunate/harsh.

Other than scoring Johnson did pretty much nothing (although l accept scoring is rather important!).

Sorry still can't share the Martin love - did little tonight for me. Weimann also missed an opportunity to secure his place.

Nods to Carson, Keogh, Vydra and at times Russell (the latter does get me so animated though when he does the hard work, and then gives the ball away again).

Not pretty but a point away from home against Sunderland will look alright come season end.  I think though 3 points were there for the taking.

I agree with most of this, I feel your a little unfair on Martin but I see where your coming from. He had a few nice touches at times when he had the ball but the operative word is when. Martin has never and will never look good in a team with how we set up tonight with the ball mindlessly lumped up to him, little to no service and nobody providing supporting runs.

As some have said, that game showed up where we are lacking. A quality, creative midfielder in front of Huddlestone and someone with pace and flair on the wing. Vydra did more in 3 minutes than Weimann did all game, made a real difference. Not sure if Martin was just poor or didn't get any service. At least we got a point which I would have taken after an hour.... 

Archived