Sunderland v Derby County - Match day thread

Kernow

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keogh was absolutely incredible.

Russell was very good but started to become sloppy during the 2nd half.

Huddlestone looked decent and we saw the odd glorious pass or 2.

Carson was fantastic.

Vydra changed the game in our favour.

For the short period he was on, Bryson made more of an attacking contribution than Butterfield did all game, although he was put into a deeper role when Vydra came on to be fair to him.

The rest were average/poor.

From that game I would go with a 4-2-3-1. We looked good playing that way end of last season, carved out two fantastic opportunities to win the game in the last 15 playing that way too.

For Wolves, hoping something along the lines of...

Back 5 the same.

Johnson Huddlestone

Russell Vydra NEW

Martin

Just now, DJFern94 said:

Are people forgetting that Sunderland have just come down from the prem, I am sure people wouldn't have been moaning about a draw against Newcastle away on the first day of last season.

It's not about that. I'm looking at our performance and we were so one dimensional. 

If Huddlestone is to be our quarter back and the spark of all attacks, he needs to find some comfort with the ball at his feet. Giving it Huddlestone and him pinging it was our only game plan today. I think the only reason he wasn't subbed off is because we'd have been totally lost without our only attacking outlet. 

Attitude was good. Quality and composure were lacking, from front to back. Vydra was a shining light, for sure. Carson save was epic, Butterfield penalty was unfortunate but caused by very poor defending and then his clumsiness. 

Not 'happy' with a point but I'm not upset. Long season.

Clearly in need of some creativity in attack.

All in all, still confident in the Rowett era but performances of that level need to be an exception or I doubt he'll get the time we all know he needs.

Just now, Saul Pimpson said:

Decent point. Could have nicked the 3.

"Moan moan, whinge whinge", honestly listen to some of you lot. Pathetic.

Yeah, anyone moaning about the long term is out of order.

But that performance was crap. It really was. Why would anyone dress it up any differently? For what purpose? 

Nothing wrong with calling it like it is. Sunderland were the better side, created better chances, forced good saves, hit the woodwork, isolated the CB's, ran the midfield and made better use of set pieces.

You could say Wisdom, Weimann, Johnson, Butters, Forsyth, Davies all played well if we want. But does it make it true? 

We didn't play well at all. You must know that?

PistoldPete2
2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Had a decent game - set up the goal, better than Weimann all game long.

But he tires and he needed to come off. Bryso nearly set up,the winner. 

Just now, Cam the Ram said:

Keogh was absolutely incredible.

Russell was very good but started to become sloppy during the 2nd half.

Huddlestone looked decent and we saw the odd glorious pass or 2.

Carson was fantastic.

Vydra changed the game in our favour.

For the short period he was on, Bryson made more of an attacking contribution than Butterfield did all game, although he was put into a deeper role when Vydra came on to be fair to him.

The rest were average/poor.

Actually think Butterfield looked a hell of a lot better when we shifted to two in the middle. We actually started making an effort to move the ball through the midfield as opposed to aimlessly lumping it and surprise surprise he made a couple nice passes. There is no point playing him though if plan a is to hoof.

9 minutes ago, nfb said:

True, but in general his end product hasn't changed, its wasteful

True, but that's what he is. Wholehearted, aggressive, committed, pretty consistent and a good championship player. Not a world class player, but our best wide man in a team that's been constantly challenging for 4 years.

5 minutes ago, Bazal77 said:

Wow we are ten times worse than i expected us to be haha, going to be a long season 

About the same length as normal.

Moment of the game for me was when JR picked up the ball wide right, sprinted past one player, nearly cut inside past another, Derby on the break, fans off their seats, and he manages to pick out  the only Sunderland player near him with a pass, rather than any of the on-rushing Derby players.

Classic!

Odd that after a worse performance at the start of last season there weren't this many wrist slashers. Curious.

Still I hope you all manage to somehow enjoy your weekends despite holding a gun to your own head after one football match. 

Archived