Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

25 minutes ago, angieram said:

I always thought the last loan was just a temporary insanity until we righted the dreadful Pearson appointment. This time I think it's for good - we've moved on as a club. So, I thought I would express my thanks to a player that did great stuff for us and was at the heart of some of our best football for many years.

I am right behind the new Derby because of their results, but I can't help missing the old one's exciting brand of football. 

Any player that serves well for Derby is ok in my book. I remember the good times. I'll miss singing that stupid song too.

He has put a smile on my face many times over the past 5 years. Good luck Chris. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Farewell then, Chris Martin.

You signed a new deal when told you'd be starting

By Mac version 2

But now you're departing.

You're moving down south

Due to pace deficit

Too much food in your mouth

And looking unfit.

The above is a lie

Spread by ignorant fools

So give Reading a try

Like they teach you in schools.

Not blessed with great pace

But you kill most balls dead

A great finder of space

Your first yards in the head.

But now we don't suit you

Gary's working his spell

We find ourselves second

Without playing well.

The above is a lie

It's different not poor

But your game doesn't fit here

So he's shown you the door.

So farewell for now

But perhaps you'll be back

Cos’ with an owner like ours

You're never far from the sack.

I too am sad to see him go. Last proper striker we had since Sturridge in my opinion. But he was never going to get minutes under Rowett - and Rowett is getting results - so best for both parties.

Still sad, but regret will make way for euphoria if we sign a stellar winger. I hold my breath....

Spoken endlessly on the topic on here already.

A ******* great striker who was the heart of the best attacking side in the league for a couple years. No one else saw truly his star quality apart from Clough and McClaren got it out of him in a spectacular way, that’s what I loved most. He’s “fat” and “lazy” but outplayed the likes of Rhodes and other 10 million pound strikers with ease.

In 20 years time, his Derby highlights will still be a great watch. Wish him all the best.

Good luck Chrissy.

I find it hard to believe that he didn't have a key role to play even with GR's tactics. A top class player, with a football brain, I would have backed him to the hilt to adapt and retain his relevance. Sadly, he was never given the opportunity. I firmly hope we can continue to progress and achieve promotion this year. If we don't I'm afraid there will always be a nagging doubt in my mind as to what could have been if Martin had been given a chance to lead our line. Time will tell and i will be delighted if we see 2nd place home without him. 

Good luck Chrissy and thanks for the memories. Regardless he'll have one of the best showreels of any DCFC strikers in the last 30 years. A real gem.

As others said I think @angieram summed up everything perfectly yesterday. 

I think he was the best all round striker I’ve seen in the 25 years of watching Derby and still think he had something to offer. I’m yet to be convinced that Jerome will be an improvement.

Cheers mate, you deserved more. Hopefully in the summer Rowett might see what he’s missing out on.

The Chris Martin ‘saga’ has been (in a footballing context) both a tragedy and a travesty, for the unfortunate player himself, and for the club .. 

He has had the misfortune to have encountered two managers who failed to appreciate his talents and value to the club, after being the team’s top performer and  most essential ’cog’ in a well oiled and primed Steve McLaren team, and this has cost us big time already,  and could yet cost us automatic promotion this season ..

All the talk about ‘not fitting Gary Rowett’s system and style of play’ does not hold up under rational scrutiny; it comes down to common footballing sense .. aside from his ability to score goals from both long and short range, give him the ball with his back to goal and he will invariably find a man running onto his (first time) pass or ‘flick on’, often leading to a scoring opportunity ..

This does not only apply in a PARTICULAR system (either under Pearson or Rowett), but can work wherever a team employs wingers, second strikers or mobile midfielders, as long as they have the footballing intelligence to anticipate what CM can do ..

And before anyone says “well he’s had his chances to shine under Pearson / Rowett”, no he hasn’t !

Coming on as a late sub, or starting with a team containing players who have been rigidly and inflexibly schooled to bypass such options does not constitute ‘integrating his skills into the overall team ethic’ .. and on the few occasions he has started, but been judged to have failed to reproduce his form, well what does a manager expect from a player who has been disrespectfully ‘benched’ for months on end .. every player, no matter how good, needs sufficient ‘game time’ to rediscover match fitness, the odd game here and there or substitute appearances do not provide this ..

No player has been treated so badly by this club since Billy Davies sidelined Idiakez and Tommy Smith, and brought in distinctly inferior players n their stead ..

So, best wishes Chris Martin, and thanks for the memories, I have a feeling that your career may not be anywhere near over for a few seasons yet, but not I fear with the Rams ! 

6 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Scored a lot of goals without him playing and 2nd in the league. The way some go on we'd be above Wolves if Rowett was "smart enough to appreciate his talents".

I asked the question some time ago,  what should GR have done to include CM and would that guarantee a better return than we have achieved so far?

14 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

The Chris Martin ‘saga’ has been (in a footballing context) both a tragedy and a travesty, for the unfortunate player himself, and for the club .. 

He has had the misfortune to have encountered two managers who failed to appreciate his talents and value to the club, after being the team’s top performer and  most essential ’cog’ in a well oiled and primed Steve McLaren team, and this has cost us big time already,  and could yet cost us automatic promotion this season ..

All the talk about ‘not fitting Gary Rowett’s system and style of play’ does not hold up under rational scrutiny; it comes down to common footballing sense .. aside from his ability to score goals from both long and short range, give him the ball with his back to goal and he will invariably find a man running onto his (first time) pass or ‘flick on’, often leading to a scoring opportunity ..

This does not only apply in a PARTICULAR system (either under Pearson or Rowett), but can work wherever a team employs wingers, second strikers or mobile midfielders, as long as they have the footballing intelligence to anticipate what CM can do ..

And before anyone says “well he’s had his chances to shine under Pearson / Rowett”, no he hasn’t !

Coming on as a late sub, or starting with a team containing players who have been rigidly and inflexibly schooled to bypass such options does not constitute ‘integrating his skills into the overall team ethic’ .. and on the few occasions he has started, but been judged to have failed to reproduce his form, well what does a manager expect from a player who has been disrespectfully ‘benched’ for months on end .. every player, no matter how good, needs sufficient ‘game time’ to rediscover match fitness, the odd game here and there or substitute appearances do not provide this ..

No player has been treated so badly by this club since Billy Davies sidelined Idiakez and Tommy Smith, and brought in distinctly inferior players n their stead ..

So, best wishes Chris Martin, and thanks for the memories, I have a feeling that your career may not be anywhere near over for a few seasons yet, but not I fear with the Rams ! 

Yet those players did not see us to promotion and the “disticictly inferior” players did. Forget what came after for a minute, simply put they did the job the previous players had failed to do. I’m no fan of letting all the players go that we have, and feel Martin could still have played a role, but let’s not pretend that this hasn’t happened before and worked. I’m pretty annoyed at how the window has Gone, but no player has been mistreated. Martin had chances off the bench and starting, did okay, but didn’t do enough to get in the team. Whether he would have in time is another question, but he got a chance to go out and get games and we allowed it to happen, all seems fair enough to me.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Yet those players did not see us to promotion and the “disticictly inferior” players did. Forget what came after for a minute, simply put they did the job the previous players had failed to do. I’m no fan of letting all the players go that we have, and feel Martin could still have played a role, but let’s not pretend that this hasn’t happened before and worked. I’m pretty annoyed at how the window has Gone, but no player has been mistreated. Martin had chances off the bench and starting, did okay, but didn’t do enough to get in the team. Whether he would have in time is another question, but he got a chance to go out and get games and we allowed it to happen, all seems fair enough to me.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

I asked the question some time ago,  what should GR have done to include CM and would that guarantee a better return than we have achieved so far?

Your question is pretty rhetorical, although if we are looking at this past month? I’d say he would have contributed to the two home games where we dropped points as they were crying out for someone to hold onto the ball upfront and bring others into play.

Archived