Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

4 hours ago, DRBee said:

Why were Martin and Vydra never played together for a few games to see how it worked? The decision to write off Martin was made early , and that he didn't fit what Rowett wanted , end of. That's fair enough but it doesn't suddenly make Martin a bad player .

For me they are both at their best in that kind of number ten role with added quality finishing that means they score lots as well , though they do play the role very differently to each other and in a different team set up ,Martin with midfield runners round him and vyds turning and running at defences with fast forwards round him ,, both quality players but I can see why rowett doesn’t see them playing together

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 14:43, archied said:

For me they are both at their best in that kind of number ten role with added quality finishing that means they score lots as well , though they do play the role very differently to each other and in a different team set up ,Martin with midfield runners round him and vyds turning and running at defences with fast forwards round him ,, both quality players but I can see why rowett doesn’t see them playing together

we barely saw Martin as a 10. Can probably count on 1 hand.

6 hours ago, jimbobram said:

we barely saw Martin as a 10. Can probably count on 1 hand.

Martins style is very much like a ten , he is not going to run channels , he is not going to get in behind defences ,he is not going to play on the shoulder of the last defender , he is not a target man for high balls and knock downs , he is not a poacher in the box, 

call it what you like but he played very much as a ten , dropping deeper taking balls to feet and playing lay offs to the midfield wanting to get beyond him then he would turn and follow in to support 

Chris Martin is a back to goal number 9 who is good at being a high target, being able to receive balls under pressure and get midfield runners from deeper areas involved. You need legs and pace around him for him to be successful. He is not a number 10 and this is why he has hardly ever played their in his career. You want your number 10 to receive the ball on the half turn in the gaps in between the oppositions defence and midfield lines, so they can drive at the defence (as Vydra, Palmer etc).,..This is not Martins game and why no manager has ever seen him as a number 10.

1 hour ago, Ramdale said:

Chris Martin is a back to goal number 9 who is good at being a high target, being able to receive balls under pressure and get midfield runners from deeper areas involved. You need legs and pace around him for him to be successful. He is not a number 10 and this is why he has hardly ever played their in his career. You want your number 10 to receive the ball on the half turn in the gaps in between the oppositions defence and midfield lines, so they can drive at the defence (as Vydra, Palmer etc).,..This is not Martins game and why no manager has ever seen him as a number 10.

Hector was a number 10 ...........google him you young uns !,

5 hours ago, Ramdale said:

But by the same token he didn’t run the channels and wasn’t exceptional in the air… he was technical, creative, intelligent and in glimpses showed a decent range of passing… 9.5?

12 hours ago, Ramdale said:

Think you will find rowett saw him as a number ten and given that we are second and rowett is showing a very good eye for what players strengths are and how to fit them together in the jigsaw that makes up a good team I’m kind of ok to rate his judgment of a player ,

you see a lone striker , I don’t , I don’t think he has all the qualities to be one ,, cam jam on the other hand looks far more suited to play lone striker role if needed 

18 minutes ago, Rosythram said:

Oddly enough I think Gary saw Chris as a number 13, hence why he’s been allowed a move away!

Yep that’s fair comment,, 

On 8 February 2018 at 06:37, archied said:

Think you will find rowett saw him as a number ten and given that we are second and rowett is showing a very good eye for what players strengths are and how to fit them together in the jigsaw that makes up a good team I’m kind of ok to rate his judgment of a player ,

you see a lone striker , I don’t , I don’t think he has all the qualities to be one ,, cam jam on the other hand looks far more suited to play lone striker role if needed 

I didn't see anything in Jeromes performance v norwich to suggest that he is more suited to us than chris.

he looked static; won very little and gave away a penalty. I can only remember one effort on goal which he sliced badly.

poor old Chris would have been slaughtered. 

We are a bit too quick to bin players who have done well for us. See also will hughes. 

Jerome does as you would expect him to .  An option to alter our approach , certainly not a leading striker to pin your hopes on to deliver loads of  goals and assists , his career record is bang average.  Concerned that it is widely discussed that Nugent is carrying an injury so the loss of Winnall is a serious one . 

All to play for keep the faith 

The problem with Jerome on Saturday......wasn't Jerome. It was that he was isolated for the majority of the game - once we scored, the rest of the team retreated 20 yards and left him with no-one to work with. In the first 20 minutes, we had players pushing forward and that allowed him to be involved. Rowett was urging them to push up, but (credit to Norwich) we were too busy trying to keep the opposition contained to go for another goal. Thorne had an attack of the Butterfield's (sideways and backwards), Lawrence is struggling to impose himself for more than odd flashes and for 70 minutes, Anya was the player we all wanted to get rid of. That left Vyds dropping back to help out and Jerome miles from the rest of the team

Harry Kane would struggle to score if he was up front while Alli, Erikson & Son sat back near the half-way line......

Archived