Joey Barton

DcFc Dyycheee
Message added by Day

Joey Barton - Appointed as Fleetwood Head Coach > https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/29009-joey-barton-appointed-as-fleetwood-head-coach/

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

rejoice ye Barton fans................

<the rest of us can sigh with despair>

McClaren has denied it.....

To be fair, he also said Chris Evans coming back was way off and only in the discussion stages… he was announced the next day.

This is what McClaren said in the Derby Telegraph. It's only a denial that he is training with us

"Steve McClaren says Joey Barton is not training with Derby County.

Barton's contract at Rangers has been cancelled by mutual consent and he is a free agent although he cannot sign for another club until the January transfer window opens.

There had been reports that the 34-year-old was training at Derby but McClaren has dismissed this.

"As usual, it's speculation in the newspapers," said the Rams manager, who worked with Barton at Queens Park Rangers.

McClaren would not be drawn on possible targets in January.

"January is a long way away and we focus solely on our squad and our players. We don't think about January until probably mid-to-late December and then we will probably have a good idea of what we want."

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-boss-steve-mcclaren-responds-to-questions-about-joey-barton/story-29913308-detail/story.html#4k1jhB5AsIopgAQx.99"

Bizarrely his ban for betting on games is only one match! I presumed an offence such as that would be at least half a season, but it seems Joey Barton is still available to the highest bidder. Will that be us or Burnley? I've said before that I can only see him taking the Thorne position and so the question will be is he worth it playing in that role for us, at least until George is fully available? I don't know, but if the club wants him I don't object. People don't like Barton but I would say he's a very talented footballer who has done extraordinary things given his backkground/upbringing (which is hard for everyone to escape).

17 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Bizarrely his ban for betting on games is only one match! I presumed an offence such as that would be at least half a season, but it seems Joey Barton is still available to the highest bidder. Will that be us or Burnley? I've said before that I can only see him taking the Thorne position and so the question will be is he worth it playing in that role for us, at least until George is fully available? I don't know, but if the club wants him I don't object. People don't like Barton but I would say he's a very talented footballer who has done extraordinary things given his backkground/upbringing (which is hard for everyone to escape).

He struggled at Rangers in (arguably) a weaker league than ours... I wonder if he's just dropped off a cliff quality-wise... It can happen over a summer with some players...

Barton at 28 sure, Barton at 32 probably... Barton now? No thanks... And if his confidence is shaken as badly as some have suggested from his stint in Scotland then keep him away from the entire Midlands in case it's cacthing

5 hours ago, richinspain said:

I thought that we couldn't sign him until January because he was registered with Rangers when the window closed.

Indeed, I'd take a look at him and if no other options were there in January I'd extend it until the end of the season. Whether he'd agree to that of course is another matter. 

36 minutes ago, Alex W said:

Indeed, I'd take a look at him and if no other options were there in January I'd extend it until the end of the season. Whether he'd agree to that of course is another matter. 

I said that a few days ago. If there is any sort of tension within the team whilst he's training the club can say to him "thanks but no thanks" and we haven't lost anything. We could end up with a player who is actually popular with the rest of the squad and if he proves his fitness can do a job that really only Thorne is more than adequate at at the moment. 

On 17 November 2016 at 16:18, Arsene Titman said:

This is what McClaren said in the Derby Telegraph. It's only a denial that he is training with us

"Steve McClaren says Joey Barton is not training with Derby County.

Barton's contract at Rangers has been cancelled by mutual consent and he is a free agent although he cannot sign for another club until the January transfer window opens.

There had been reports that the 34-year-old was training at Derby but McClaren has dismissed this.

"As usual, it's speculation in the newspapers," said the Rams manager, who worked with Barton at Queens Park Rangers.

McClaren would not be drawn on possible targets in January.

"January is a long way away and we focus solely on our squad and our players. We don't think about January until probably mid-to-late December and then we will probably have a good idea of what we want."

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-boss-steve-mcclaren-responds-to-questions-about-joey-barton/story-29913308-detail/story.html#4k1jhB5AsIopgAQx.99"

Dunno what relevance of January transfer window is in mcclarens reply. Wouldn't Barton be a free agent so could sign straightaway. 

14 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Dunno what relevance of January transfer window is in mcclarens reply. Wouldn't Barton be a free agent so could sign straightaway. 

No, only players that were not registered to a club as the transfer window closed are able to sign for teams outside the transfer window.

Archived