Joey Barton

DcFc Dyycheee
Message added by Day

Joey Barton - Appointed as Fleetwood Head Coach > https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/29009-joey-barton-appointed-as-fleetwood-head-coach/

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

He's one where the question is he a good enough player is only half the conversation. Personally he's not anywhere near a significant improvement to risk it for me.

Just reading Neil Warnock's biography (started in about September but now forcing myself to finish it so I can start something else) and he spends some time talking about Barton at QPR. Says that on the training pitch he is a model pro, always early, works harder than anyone else, but the second he's away he's an idiot.

Also, granted it was mostly for reasonable stuff in the book, but he definitely assumed a club captain role there and went to the manager as a spokesperson for the players/himself on numerous occasions including off the field issues and selection advice.

Good trainer or not I think we've had enough player power for a while. Another thing we don't need is any more column inches for things other than results.

Could almost see him positioning himself for the top job were Rowett to be pushed.

3 minutes ago, Rample said:

He's one where the question is he a good enough player is only half the conversation. Personally he's not anywhere near a significant improvement to risk it for me.

Just reading Neil Warnock's biography (started in about September but now forcing myself to finish it so I can start something else) and he spends some time talking about Barton at QPR. Says that on the training pitch he is a model pro, always early, works harder than anyone else, but the second he's away he's an idiot.

Also, granted it was mostly for reasonable stuff in the book, but he definitely assumed a club captain role there and went to the manager as a spokesperson for the players/himself on numerous occasions including off the field issues and selection advice.

Good trainer or not I think we've had enough player power for a while. Another thing we don't need is any more column inches for things other than results.

Could almost see him positioning himself for the top job were Rowett to be pushed.

Warnock's book is a great read....(well I listened to it actually) how he speaks about Barton, QPR and Tarratt is really interesting.

We are desperate for a captain, have been for years and years.

8 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Warnock's book is a great read....(well I listened to it actually) how he speaks about Barton, QPR and Tarratt is really interesting.

We are desperate for a captain, have been for years and years.

I'd rather not have a captain capable of kicking the **** out of a team mate on the training ground, or stubbing cigars out in the eyes of younger players, or being daft enough to get a massive ban for betting whilst playing, or any of the other assorted stupidity associated with him.

A few years ago I would have signed him a heartbeat. He’s the type of leader we need in the team as we are too soft. Someone to show grit in the bad moments. I don’t buy that he’s nothing but a thug. He’s not a Cattermole or Bradley Johnson who offer nothing but physicality, he’s very good technically as well. You don’t play for Marseille if you aren’t good technically as their fans would target you but he was loved there.

6 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

I think Barton's one of those players /personality's that your not particularly struck on untill he's at your club and you see him giving everything on the pitch for your club.

Agree. He's exactly the type of player we need. Lots of baggage but a good player.  I remember going top qpr vs derby the same season we made the final and he was superb. 

In the aftermath of the play off final he also walked around shaking hands and consoling our players while the rest of his team mates celebrated. 

39 minutes ago, McLovin said:

A few years ago I would have signed him a heartbeat. He’s the type of leader we need in the team as we are too soft. Someone to show grit in the bad moments. I don’t buy that he’s nothing but a thug. He’s not a Cattermole or Bradley Johnson who offer nothing but physicality, he’s very good technically as well. You don’t play for Marseille if you aren’t good technically as their fans would target you but he was loved there.

_45221779_mears_body_2.jpg

Archived