Joey Barton

DcFc Dyycheee
Message added by Day

Joey Barton - Appointed as Fleetwood Head Coach > https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/29009-joey-barton-appointed-as-fleetwood-head-coach/

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

I'll judge him on what I see on the pitch.

3 seasons ago, he came up here with QPR, sprayed some pretty passes around to little effect, and got put on his arse by Chris Martin.

He wasn't as good as Eustace that night, I see no reason he'd be anymore effective now.

I agree with that RD apart from your opening line.

I'm convinced he's cr@p and wunt suit us, so I've prejudged him.

And Chrissy taking him out was a thing of beauty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37595305

A short-lived and expensive failure. That's the beginning, the end and the in-between of Barton's sojourn in Scotland.

"The Scottish Premiership is not of a high standard, but it's intense, it's physical and, at places like Rangers, those who can't handle the pressure tend to get found out pretty quickly."

"On the face of it, this should have worked. Barton was terrific in helping Burnley win the Championship last season.

He was their player of their season, their rock protecting the defence. He had hunger and presence. Last season was a reminder that, even though he has behaved horribly in his career, he is still a fine footballer when the mood is right.

Rangers thought they were getting a leader, a standard-bearer. That notion began to wear thin when he started firing verbal volleys on radio weeks before he ever landed in town."

"He was going to come up and teach the natives a footballing lesson. He was going to not just outplay the Celtic captain, he was going to embarrass him."

"In his first Premiership match, he got nutmegged by Ali Crawford in a 1-1 draw against Hamilton at Ibrox. In a later game, another 1-1 draw against Kilmarnock, 19-year-old Greg Kiltie ran away from him in the build-up to their goal. He was non-descript in most of the games he played."

If he was performing well and offering leadership in difficult weeks then his fellow players might have tolerated his barbed-wire tongue, but on the field, he was off the pace, an ego failing to live up to his own hype.

"It was obvious that Barton was having a job dealing with the Crawfords and the Kilties, never mind the Browns. After that match against Hamilton, he said that "people expected us to just turn up and win today".

HE'S ON A FREE FOR A REASON

RANGERS HAVE CONSIDERED IT WORTH PAYING HIM TO JUST GO AWAY - not even train with kids til January then sell him, PAY HIM TO LEAVE

He's also 34 and never once looked remotely up to the pace of Scottish football.

now, it should be clear I don't like him, that's my perspective - but - he has been an ok footballer when correctly managed. In which case I ask CAN STEVE MCCLAREN MANAGE BARTON?

If we sign him, i'll support him as a Derby player an hope to be proved wrong.

We need his motormouth about as much as we needed Pearson's 

why is it that people think our players need shouting at? 

"He gets stuck in"

So do Johnson and Hughes.

As for inspiring his team... he's had some odd approaches.

He's as stupid as Nigel Pearson and what happened at Leicester or Burnley doesn't mean owt because we are nothing like either. They should join up together somewhere. Like Syria

If pearson was proposing this we would be justified in regarding it as a symptom of boxhead stupidity.

if mcclaren is proposing it then see above.

6 hours ago, nottingram said:

If Barton was such a 'leader' why did he get suspended by Rangers for blaming everyone else when they lost 5-1 to Celtic?

The people calling him a leader are the same ones that criticise Keogh for daring to blame anyone else when we concede the odd goal.

Funny that...

Yeah but Barton can play football, and that helps. 

Basically kept Man City in the PL. 

Played out of position for Newcastle but adapted and his partnership with Carroll played a big part in their promotion. 

Held a ridiculous group of egos together and got QPR over the line against us. 

Instrumental in helping Burnley get promoted . 

Had dark times for sure, and is perhaps a little needy emotionally. Probably hard to feel loved at a hateful club like Sevco.

SM clearly likes him and he clearly likes SM. If we get the good Barton he could be exactly what we need to take us up. What is there to lose? This lot aren't getting promoted any time soon and have shown they don't have the metal when it counts. Low risk free agent signing. 

1 hour ago, TroyDyer said:

Yeah but Barton can play football, and that helps. 

Do you want me to bring up our goals conceded stats again just to remind you that our defenders can play football? Or will you just ignore it again when I do that because you have no response?

Besides, Barton is no better at football than any of the three midfielders who started against Wolves. And he's a disruptive nutcase who can't be relied upon at the same time.

I would sign him under the following conditions:

• He has to have his own dressing room
  • Make sure his backside is completely covered
  • We have to hide his cigars
  • Make sure we don't get promoted so he doesn't have to play alongside Aguero or Kompany.
  • He has to watch every game from the stands
  • He's not allowed to play against Newcastle
  • Keep him away from the under 21's at all times
  • Keep him away from Thorne- we don't want another injury

As long as all those things happen, I think he could be a perfect addition to the team!

10 hours ago, nottingram said:

If Barton was such a 'leader' why did he get suspended by Rangers for blaming everyone else when they lost 5-1 to Celtic?

The people calling him a leader are the same ones that criticise Keogh for daring to blame anyone else when we concede the odd goal.

Funny that...

First world war leader, sipping chilled Sancerre on the hill overlooking the battlefield?

If George Thorne was fit this wouldn't even be being considered.

He's a massive bellend that much we do know. And he can play. Whereas Robbie Savage was just a massive bellend.

Maybe bring him in till the end of the season? I don't know.

I miss George.

4 hours ago, TroyDyer said:

Basically kept Man City in the PL. 

Played out of position for Newcastle but adapted and his partnership with Carroll played a big part in their promotion. 

Held a ridiculous group of egos together and got QPR over the line against us. 

Instrumental in helping Burnley get promoted . 

Had dark times for sure, and is perhaps a little needy emotionally. Probably hard to feel loved at a hateful club like Sevco.

SM clearly likes him and he clearly likes SM. If we get the good Barton he could be exactly what we need to take us up. What is there to lose? This lot aren't getting promoted any time soon and have shown they don't have the metal when it counts. Low risk free agent signing. 

I think you're giving him a lot of credit there for what was also other people's success. 

He kept Man City up on his own?

He got Newcastle promoted on his own? 

He held QPR's egos together? Got them over the line against us? I'd say less so than Dunne, Hoilet, Green, O'Neil and poor finishing from Derby as the QPR midfield caved in after half an hour.

Again, I think a few other Burnley players might have helped too. Especially 3 superb performing defenders and an excellent striker.

These lot don't have the metal? But Barton who's just jumped and been partially chucked off the Rangers ship with stress does? How do you measure metal on a football pitch. Is it with the body on the line efforts of a player like Keogh? Or the harass and chase of Hughes? What metal is Barton going to bring? The leader of men who's lost the plot several times. 

The way people talk about football you'd think we're in the trenches. 

58 minutes ago, JarodyDCFC said:

I would sign him under the following conditions:

• He has to have his own dressing room
  • Make sure his backside is completely covered
  • We have to hide his cigars
  • Make sure we don't get promoted so he doesn't have to play alongside Aguero or Kompany.
  • He has to watch every game from the stands
  • He's not allowed to play against Newcastle
  • Keep him away from the under 21's at all times
  • Keep him away from Thorne- we don't want another injury

As long as all those things happen, I think he could be a perfect addition to the team!

I would sign him just to play him up at St. James' park. Then watch the chaos break loose.

1 hour ago, Parsnip said:

If George Thorne was fit this wouldn't even be being considered.

He's a massive bellend that much we do know. And he can play. Whereas Robbie Savage was just a massive bellend.

Maybe bring him in till the end of the season? I don't know.

I miss George.

Forget about George Thorne. We need to build a team without him. And stop holding on to the fact that he may return. He will return and get injured again. Players like this always do. He had bad injuries even before he came to us. McLaren might be remembering what happened when Thorne, eustace and mascarell were all out and he failed to get cover. He'll be good as cover until the end of the season in my opinion 

Looks like its happening. 

I'm happy to be proved wrong, but I see his Burnley season as his last hurrah as a footballer of any worth. The last six months did happen. He was awful, unfit, ineffective AND giving it the billy big bol locls. 

Remember how the team spirit collapsed under Clement due to some I'll advised signings........

Archived