Barnsley vs Derby County

Warren Hobhead

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest I am not too concerned that we are trying to change the system of play. We've tried it with 4-3-3 for 3 or 4 seasons now with largely the same personnel and whilst we have been in around the playoffs we haven't looked convincing for a while now. Personally I think we need a clear out (if we can even get rid of some of these players) and if we need to try and build on a new system to take us to the next level I am willing to take a season of pain to get there. 

11 minutes ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

I haven't seen Hughes play that poorly. Ever. He couldn't find a white shirt, something clearly isn't right. 

Personally I think the reason he hasn't been starting is because he is leaving the club. Maybe going to Man Utd, which has killed him inside being a Liverpool fan, so he cba anymore.:whistle:

3 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

Forestieri on the bench for sheff wed, 2+2=

I'm sure Pearson will succeed :)

He isn't on the bench is he? From the sounds of things he isn't even in the squad.

On way back from Barnsley , id just like to say to all the fans  calling the players and management PLEASE SHUT UP and give Nigel time to get his ideas cemented into his team , believe you me everyone out there today , management , players care , over the next couple of weeks im sure things will happen that a lot of people wont agree with , but we have a manager in place who knows this league and what is needed , yes today wont go down on the plus side , and im sure there will be a few more results like this until we get to where we want to be , Put this game to bed , Nigel will have learnt a lot from this and im sure what needs doing is becoming clearer in his mind COYR

4 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

Quite liking the Pearson interview at the minute, at least 1 person is having a measured response to the whole situation.

Come on Rich, you really believe there wasnt a volcanic eruption in the dressing room after that? I listened too. He was calm but you could tell he was particularly LIVID, constantly referencing out of form players. That's a nice way of saying they were pants. You have to read between the lines. He's mad as hell.

12 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Come on Rich, you really believe there wasnt a volcanic eruption in the dressing room after that? I listened too. He was calm but you could tell he was particularly LIVID, constantly referencing out of form players. That's a nice way of saying they were pants. You have to read between the lines. He's mad as hell.

perhaps he should drop a few then? Any kids in the squad at present who could step up? Not ideal circumstances I admit but if we want nigel to send strong signals we should support him to do so.

8 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Why pick players to play wide when they're not? Why not get a couple of wingers in in the window - you don't need to assess the squad to see that! Why not get in a DM? Pearson seems to be too keen to prove a point about failure to me.

9 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I noticed his voice softened, and his eyes became moist when he mentioned Martin, and his lack of service.

I reckon Chrissy has got a new fan.

36 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

If a professional footballer can't change the way he plays when asked then you'll have to question why are they a professional footballer.

Duck me..... It's not as if we're asking Craig Bryson to play centre half.

They can Mafia.

But is that not the hard way around.  Isn't it easy to take their strengths and weaknesses and put together a team in a system that shows the best of each player. 

Hendrick can play box to box. But he's a totally different player at each end. Same with Bryson.

Which is why McClaren took away some of their weakness and stuck Eustace, a terrible attacker, to cover them slightly. And their strengths hid his weakness. 

I'm sure these lads will do whatever you ask them to do. But we're up against other professional teams. 

On the way back so thought id do some ratings. 

Carson 6- Not sure if he could have come for the ball in for the second goal. But he doesnt look confident.

Christie 4- Cant defend and looks like a headless chicken running forward. Dont think he knows where he is going half the time. 

Keogh 7- Steady today. Dont think he did too much wrong.

Shackell 6- Poor distribution and thought there big centre forward bullied him. 

Forsyth 6- Ok defensively. But some woeul crosses. 

Blackman 4- Bloke is useless. Utterly brain dead. Lacks so much football intelligence its frightening. 

Bryson 4- Really really poor. Game passed him by and spent most of it like another centre half. Cant play in a 2. 

Hughes 4- Very poor from him. Doesnt look interested. Tried to be too clever sometimes. Dont think he can play in a 2 either. 

Butterfield 5- Did ok. Didnt really do much wrong but he isnt a winger

Ince 7- Looked frustrated and every right to be. Thought he was ok and put a shift in. 

Bent 2- No point in him playing here. Completely ineffective. Doesnt work the centre halves enough, no pace. Had one chance and his first touch was pathetic. If he is our answer up front we are in trouble. 

Subs:-

Martin 6- Better than Bent. Offered more and we created chances when he came on.

Russell 7- Im not his biggest fan. But he was on the pitch for about 30 minutes and was Derby's best player. 

A word for those fans abusing Pearson when he went off. Have a word with yourselves you complete f*****g c****s 

Is it Pearsons fault that his side cant string a pass together?

These players are failures. They have been here 3 years and have failed. They cant do it. 

Let Pearson get on with things. If we wants to sell someone. Sell them. Because there is not a single player in that squad who I wouldnt sell if the price was right. 

8 minutes ago, GenBr said:

To be honest I am not too concerned that we are trying to change the system of play. We've tried it with 4-3-3 for 3 or 4 seasons now with largely the same personnel and whilst we have been in around the playoffs we haven't looked convincing for a while now. Personally I think we need a clear out (if we can even get rid of some of these players) and if we need to try and build on a new system to take us to the next level I am willing to take a season of pain to get there. 

Personally I think the reason he hasn't been starting is because he is leaving the club. Maybe going to Man Utd, which has killed him inside being a Liverpool fan, so he cba anymore.:whistle:

He isn't on the bench is he? From the sounds of things he isn't even in the squad.

Yep your right, he didn't travel :thumbsup:

20 minutes ago, GenBr said:

And the 433 got us close. The system was introduced to Clough's players to play to their strengths. 

It needed upgrading. We've spent £30m since then and the only upgrades are 

Grant - Carson

Eustace - Thorne. 

Ward - Ince.

I rate Pearson. But he's trying to bend the whole squad to his vision. A good squad. Seems the long way around to me. 

Just now, Alpha said:

And the 433 got us close. The system was introduced to Clough's players to play to their strengths. 

Grant - Carson

Eustace - Thorne. 

Ward - Ince.

I rate Pearson. But he's trying to bend the whole squad to his vision. A good squad. Seems the long way around to me. 

That's quite ridiculous when you put it like that. With 30 million we could have built a decent squad to compete to survive in the prem rather than signing players who don't fit the system. We still haven't got a back up defensive mid for Thorne or quality out an out wingers

8 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

On the way back so thought id do some ratings. 

Carson 6- Not sure if he could have come for the ball in for the second goal. But he doesnt look confident.

Christie 4- Cant defend and looks like a headless chicken running forward. Dont think he knows where he is going half the time. 

Keogh 7- Steady today. Dont think he did too much wrong.

Shackell 6- Poor distribution and thought there big centre forward bullied him. 

Forsyth 6- Ok defensively. But some woeul crosses. 

Blackman 4- Bloke is useless. Utterly brain dead. Lacks so much football intelligence its frightening. 

Bryson 4- Really really poor. Game passed him by and spent most of it like another centre half. Cant play in a 2. 

Hughes 4- Very poor from him. Doesnt look interested. Tried to be too clever sometimes. Dont think he can play in a 2 either. 

Butterfield 5- Did ok. Didnt really do much wrong but he isnt a winger

Ince 7- Looked frustrated and every right to be. Thought he was ok and put a shift in. 

Bent 2- No point in him playing here. Completely ineffective. Doesnt work the centre halves enough, no pace. Had one chance and his first touch was pathetic. If he is our answer up front we are in trouble. 

Subs:-

Martin 6- Better than Bent. Offered more and we created chances when he came on.

Russell 7- Im not his biggest fan. But he was on the pitch for about 30 minutes and was Derby's best player. 

A word for those fans abusing Pearson when he went off. Have a word with yourselves you complete f*****g c****s 

Is it Pearsons fault that his side cant string a pass together?

These players are failures. They have been here 3 years and have failed. They cant do it. 

Let Pearson get on with things. If we wants to sell someone. Sell them. Because there is not a single player in that squad who I wouldnt sell if the price was right. 

Thanks for that.

I agree with your summary. 

Now get back where you belong and tell us who we're signing! 

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

That's quite ridiculous when you put it like that. With 30 million we could have built a decent squad to compete to survive in the prem rather than signing players who don't fit the system. We still haven't got a back up defensive mid for Thorne or quality out an out wingers

Exactly.

This team was good? We all agree? 

They lost in the Play Off Final and we're top 3 until Feb 2015 when we lost 3 defensive midfielder and our first and second choice striker

Grant

Wisdom/Cyrus, Keogh, Buxton, Forsyth

Eustace/Thorne

Hughes, Hendrick/Bryson

Ward/Bamford, Martin, Russell/Dawkins

Came close. Scored goals.

Is there no way that Pearson or anyone else could tweak that to get a few more points?

There's no way £25m could get it over the line?

That's what people are saying when they call us a failure for 3 seasons. 

The goals have just been ok soccer saturday, Blackman left his man for the 2nd, Shackell looks like he left his as well. Too many players standing still. 1st is harsh on Carson, think Forsyth and Butterfield have been harshly called as well for the goal, the big problem is the lack of players marking on the edge of the box. 

7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Grant - Carson

Eustace - Thorne. 

Ward - Ince.

Yes the 4-3-3 has got us close, but not close enough. Maybe the formation doesn't need to change, but for me I still want to see an overhaul of the squad - get rid of most of our recent signings - Butterfield, Johnson, Bent, Olsson, Blackman and Baird and overhaul half the defence - replacing Keogh and Christie. We also probably need a couple of players who are actually wingers and I am firmly of the belief that we need a pacier striker than Martin to lead the line. I am also afraid we are about to lose Hughes.  Its only my opinion and I know most of you won't agree, but I think Pearson needs to replace a lot of the players in our current squad even if he stuck to a 4-3-3 - if he wants to try a 4-4-2 now is the time to try and bring new players in to implement it - even if it does take a little while.

Besides our 4-3-3 system seems to fall apart if we are missing Thorne or Martin. I would like to see a more robust system that doesn't rely entirely on one or two players being fit.

I think we need some perspective. 

Other than Benfica this is our first loss under NP who is assessing players, changing a system and trying hard to understand what we have. He will have learned a lot today as will some players, particularly about their own egos.

on our day we have talent in a number of areas but this is sport and talent doesn't guarantee success. There is a degree of hard work and application missing from some players. I don't buy a bad result as being down to coaching, formation or team selection. Dammit lads .. The opposition is going to roll over because you are better with the ball at your feet. You need to get in their faces and fight. I venture to suggest that some (not all ) are on a cruise, wrongly assuming ability is enough

We need some commitment from the men with the shirts on. There will be exceptions .. Some players give their all .. As fans we know that, but we can see when the blood sweat and tears are absent as well. 

10 minutes ago, jono said:

I think we need some perspective. 

Other than Benfica this is our first loss under NP who is assessing players, changing a system and trying hard to understand what we have. He will have learned a lot today as will some players, particularly about their own egos.

on our day we have talent in a number of areas but this is sport and talent doesn't guarantee success. There is a degree of hard work and application missing from some players. I don't buy a bad result as being down to coaching, formation or team selection. Dammit lads .. The opposition is going to roll over because you are better with the ball at your feet. You need to get in their faces and fight. I venture to suggest that some (not all ) are on a cruise, wrongly assuming ability is enough

We need some commitment from the men with the shirts on. There will be exceptions .. Some players give their all .. As fans we know that, but we can see when the blood sweat and tears are absent as well. 

Did you go?

That would have you offered you some perspective.

Absolute shambles.

Archived