Barnsley vs Derby County

Warren Hobhead

Just got back and I must say never at any point did I think we would score a goal, disappointed with the starting eleven, no Martin or Hughes  that said Hughes failed to impress as he was trying to hard, how Blackman gets a game ahead of others is baffling that said Barnsley deserved to win but will finish in the bottom six as we will if we continue like that

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

On the way back so thought id do some ratings. 

Carson 6- Not sure if he could have come for the ball in for the second goal. But he doesnt look confident.

Christie 4- Cant defend and looks like a headless chicken running forward. Dont think he knows where he is going half the time. 

Keogh 7- Steady today. Dont think he did too much wrong.

Shackell 6- Poor distribution and thought there big centre forward bullied him. 

Forsyth 6- Ok defensively. But some woeul crosses. 

Blackman 4- Bloke is useless. Utterly brain dead. Lacks so much football intelligence its frightening. 

Bryson 4- Really really poor. Game passed him by and spent most of it like another centre half. Cant play in a 2. 

Hughes 4- Very poor from him. Doesnt look interested. Tried to be too clever sometimes. Dont think he can play in a 2 either. 

Butterfield 5- Did ok. Didnt really do much wrong but he isnt a winger

Ince 7- Looked frustrated and every right to be. Thought he was ok and put a shift in. 

Bent 2- No point in him playing here. Completely ineffective. Doesnt work the centre halves enough, no pace. Had one chance and his first touch was pathetic. If he is our answer up front we are in trouble. 

Subs:-

Martin 6- Better than Bent. Offered more and we created chances when he came on.

Russell 7- Im not his biggest fan. But he was on the pitch for about 30 minutes and was Derby's best player. 

A word for those fans abusing Pearson when he went off. Have a word with yourselves you complete f*****g c****s 

Is it Pearsons fault that his side cant string a pass together?

These players are failures. They have been here 3 years and have failed. They cant do it. 

Let Pearson get on with things. If we wants to sell someone. Sell them. Because there is not a single player in that squad who I wouldnt sell if the price was right. 

Oddly enough, I thought that Christie and Blackman were two of our better players today, especially Christie who I saw as our best player by a long stretch. They both got on the ball a fair few times and apart from Russell they were the only ones who looked like they could make something happen.

43 minutes ago, Terry Nutkins said:

Barnsley Fan in peace and I don't really do this so I hope you realise its definitely not a gloating post as I know our limitations.

Firstly I'm glad we have played you on the 2nd weekend of the season, you can see the quality all over the park. Away from that you kind of played into our hands. We've 2 decent centre halves, one (Roberts in particular who hardly ever loses a header), and the other Mawson, who's highly thought of. We hit teams on the break and try to do it with pace and I think we'll surprise a few teams by the end of next May.

When you got the opportunity to hurt us you did it down the sides, but the cross or final ball was average at best. I thought you looked like a top side and I'll be surprised if you aren't in the top 6 by the end of the season, maybe we got lucky to meet you before you are at full tilt. 

All in all though a good game for the neutral and I'm ******* glad of a win, obviously, but you'll be fine when you hit your straps. Definitely a top 4-6 team on that showing imho.

I'm glad that you could see that pumping long balls on to your centre backs head was a bad idea because apparently our management and players couldn't work that out.

1 minute ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Oddly enough, I thought that Christie and Blackman were two of our better players today, especially Christie who I saw as our best player by a long stretch. They both got on the ball a fair few times and apart from Russell they were the only ones who looked like they could make something happen.

Me too.

Thought Forsyth was good first half, put in a couple of great crosses that didn't get attacked. Second half his crossing was abysmal.

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

In terms of the 4-4-2,

Neither Mac or Clement persisted very long with it. Perhaps if it's persisted with the players will come to understand and accept their new roles? Passes going nowhere now start finding the man, the front 2 start worrying defences, they understand by instinct who's doing what?

At the moment they are out of their comfort zone for sure - perhaps putting them outside of it for a while will be better in the long run.

Or perhaps they stopped playing it because they realised our players were better suited to 433?

37 minutes ago, Dcfc10 said:

How can some fans say we are impatient for the last 3 years we have missed out. before that we have had to put up with some sh... as well as being the s.... prem side in its history. So if u was lucky enough to watch them in 70s dont f... talk to me about being impatient rite im of to go and smash my head against a wall for the 1m time.

Because its the second league game of the season. And this is a league where promoted teams have been as low as 8th/9th as late as Christmas before making a charge.

Pearson's record is there for all to see. Derby have all the resources he needs at this level. It will come together. No need to be happy with crap performances but judge the man in February/March. 

And I wasn't around for the 70's side either.

My thoughts on today.

Got there about 13:45 straight into East Dene WMC had a couple of beers. Walked to the ground got inside and walked towards a group of youths singing songs in the concourse? ? Same group of youths jumping around in the concourse and throwing beer about??? Why?? Either they have money to burn or the beer was ****.

Kick off Barnsley looked dangerous on the attack but Derby looked steady on the ball. The goal came from our inability to cut out a player running down the left. He was allowed to cross then our inability to defend the ball on the right allowed Barnsley to get the ball into the centre for a shot. From then on it felt like a game of miss placed passes not winning 50 50 balls and hoof the ball to no one. Half time... Went outside everyone must have smoked today it was packed.

Second half we gave away a soft free kick and the inswinging free kick got a flick for goal number 2. The rest of the game there's not much to say. 

Lessons learnt today.

Forsyth can't cross a ball.

Carson kicks the ball into touch too often

Shackell hoofs into no man's land too much. 

Butterfield isn't the best on the left.

Hughes? ? Can do better but why isn't he starting.

Blackman I thought he did ok but he isn't our match winner or game changer.

Bent why does he get the nod above Martin?? If he's that good sell him for £6m.

Russell created our best chance.

Mus do better.

7 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I agree. Although when Russell came on and Blackman went more central he did get in Martin's way a couple of times. Ince again looked lively on the left. I have read one or two say we did nothing second half but I thought we created some good chances in the last 20 minutes. Maybe they'd left by then!

I would like to see that combination of Russell, Blackman, Martin, Ince again. 

Fools and children really shouldn't see things half done.

Pearson probably knew before he came here that we had one of the most fickle fan bases in the Country, but fortunately he clearly is made of sterner stuff than 50% of this forum.

We may very well have been piss poor today, but just to remind everybody this was the second league game of the season. Pearson is clearly giving everyone already at the club a fair opportunity to prove themselves. That a significant number are failing is not his fault, nor surprising in truth. We really do have some inconsistent and indeed bang average players, and, perhaps worse than that, a clique.

A shake up is required. I am backing Pearson to do it, but he may need a bit of time. By that I mean about 12-18 months. I suspect however many of you want it fully sorted by Tuesday night. As I said, fools and children.

41 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

martin offered more than bent?you watched a different game to me did you not notice martin not getting into the box for any of the crosses  neither impressed but lets have a fair comparison

7 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Pearson probably knew before he came here that we had one of the most fickle fan bases in the Country, but fortunately he clearly is made of sterner stuff than 50% of this forum.

We may very well have been piss poor today, but just to remind everybody this was the second league game of the season. Pearson is clearly giving everyone already at the club a fair opportunity to prove themselves. That a significant number are failing is not his fault, nor surprising in truth. We really do have some inconsistent and indeed bang average players, and, perhaps worse than that, a clique.

A shake up is required. I am backing Pearson to do it, but he may need a bit of time. By that I mean about 12-18 months. I suspect however many of you want it fully sorted by Tuesday night. As I said, fools and children.

He's got as much time as he wants for me, as long as he has the team entertaining me.

Watching Carson and Shackell pump 70 yards on to a 6 foot 5 centre backs head is not entertaining for me.

Fair play to NP for giving everyone a chance to show what they can do but surely it would make more sense to let them do it playing in their natural positions?

If I recall correctly, MM called Clement for not taking the time to research his players and see what they did well in previous seasons, I have to question if this is a case of deja vu. 

1 hour ago, BurtonRam7 said:

26 minutes ago, barnsley ram said:

martin offered more than bent?you watched a different game to me did you not notice martin not getting into the box for any of the crosses  neither impressed but lets have a fair comparison

image.jpeg

44 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I think that may well be an aspect. I've seen workplace cliques poison things before. Might explain Johnson's demise from robust serviceable midfielder to someone who can't do anything right, ever. Dropping certain players might be an exercise in breaking that for the good of the team.

Bent, Blackman and Ince poor again, none should start Tuesday. Bryson although I love his work rate got bullied today by thier captain and not sure he fits in a 442. Would rather have Johnson (cue abuse) and Hughes in the middle. 

You known I just don't know, these players need a right good kick up the bum. On to Preston COYR

40 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

He's got as much time as he wants for me, as long as he has the team entertaining me.

Watching Carson and Shackell pump 70 yards on to a 6 foot 5 centre backs head is not entertaining for me.

Fair play to NP for giving everyone a chance to show what they can do but surely it would make more sense to let them do it playing in their natural positions?

If I recall correctly, MM called Clement for not taking the time to research his players and see what they did well in previous seasons, I have to question if this is a case of deja vu. 

I am not convinced that we can expect him to entertain at the moment, not that I am tolerant either of a 70 yard hoof.  There seems disbelief on here that he isn't going to play 433 given the 'riches' he has at his disposal. That is not Pearson's game; never has been and never likely to be. I think it right that he gave everyone a chance to prove themselves, and learn personally of their strengths and weaknesses, not just on the pitch. The next few weeks off the pitch I think could be quite exciting. I am not expecting too much excitement on the field of play until some significant changes have been made. 

It would have made sense to start to make these changes in pre-season really, pretty sure he researched the squad before joining, not sure a guy of his ambition would settle for a season of nothingness.

Don't like the fact we are using the first few fixtures as experiments, if it works great but could rue these results come May.

4 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I am not convinced that we can expect him to entertain at the moment, not that I am tolerant either of a 70 yard hoof.  There seems disbelief on here that he isn't going to play 433 given the 'riches' he has at his disposal. That is not Pearson's game; never has been and never likely to be. I think it right that he gave everyone a chance to prove themselves, and learn personally of their strengths and weaknesses, not just on the pitch. The next few weeks off the pitch I think could be quite exciting. I am not expecting too much excitement on the field of play until some significant changes have been made. 

Do you think we'll get the significant changes?  I think FFP may be holding us back and also inflated transfer prices aren't helping. Fair enough we can sell but we'll only get good money for the better players. Does NP want to sell them? Also with about two weeks left of the transfer window and our lack of signings so far how many changes can we make.

I think we may need to take some time and may be take a season to get things in place.

18 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

So many, when slating Wassall last season, told us that Pearson was the experienced manager that could get more out of the players and would iron out the weaknesses, what changed since he was appointed?

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Fair enough i-ram. 

But let's look at Derby. Nigel Clough set on the path of bringing in footballers. McClaren then found a system that played to the strength of these players. And when we had our best 11 out we were a force. Even when we had to use our depth we were ok. But we struggled when the back up to our back up was done for.

Then Clement came in and tried to make us more adaptable. Thing is we didn't need adapting. We needed to build on what we had. So he was sacked for not following that path.

Here we could have appointed Pearson or Pearson's dog. But we chose Wassall to do what Clement was hired to do.

To continue this evolution.

So then we go to Pearson. Likely because of his name and his CV. Not because he's the man that fits what we want. 

But the thing is we don't need a complete overhaul. We don't need rescuing. We have been in the top 6 for almost all of 3 years.

He's a good coach with a good record. And that's great. But you'd think he'd come into this situation and run with what is here. Tweak this and tweak that. Start funneling in players to fit systems he wants to use. Not to come in and demand everyone swings right over to his way. I'm sure they'll try. They are trying. They'll do what they're told. But they aren't against nobodies. These are competitive opponents. 

We weren't in a crisis. We were falling short. 

And it was this philosophy of evolution instead of revolution that cost Clement his job and put Wassall in charge. 

It's a philosophy that most long term growing clubs use. When you break from character, like Man United, you suffer. 

I don't think it makes anyone a fool for not being happy he's breaking a team that took 8 years to evolve. That cost our last manager his job (because we were still on the top 5).

If we'd planned a rebuild then maybe Pearson should have come in after Clement.

But you can't criticise those that aren't happy about the idea of rebuilding. We've seen it endless times over the years. We've not had much success.

Recruit to fit. Right now it's a clash. It's only 3 games but there's been such poor movement, passing, creativity that it looks awful. Players that have served us well being left out for things we've never seen work. 

People are going to get frustrated. If you support the idea of a rebuild then that's fair enough. I personally don't. And I'm finding it hard to shut up and take it because I love dcfc. I felt we were growing. 

Archived