Barnsley vs Derby County

Warren Hobhead

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

If a professional footballer can't change the way he plays when asked then you'll have to question why are they a professional footballer.

Duck me..... It's not as if we're asking Craig Bryson to play centre half.

Totally agree with this, it's not as if it's a difficult system he wants them to play.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I'm ashamed after that. Our fans deserve more.

So many players looking disinterested. I would name them but there's so many. I thought Pearson would install steel and heart into the team, but I think I was wrong. 

Their first goal was fluky, yes, but Butterfield and Forsyth doubled up on their number 40 (who was MOTM, by a mile, ruined Forsyth), but neither pressed, and he was free to run past them on the inside and find the goalscorer.

Second goal, wow. Firstly, it was never a foul, so hard done to there, but the defending was just pathetic. Keogh seemingly (other end of the field) let the ball go for their player to squeeze the ball under Carson (has to do better). I didn't think we'd concede goals like that under Pearson. Have to do better.

I haven't seen Hughes play that poorly. Ever. He couldn't find a white shirt, something clearly isn't right. 

Blankly, the formation doesn't suit our central players. We've played 3 in the middle for so long, and they're simply not used to it. So much space for Barnsley in the middle of the park today. 

If we can't hack long balls into the channels and set pieces then what hope do we have. 

Pearson will learn more from that then he will have from the entire of pre season, I can assure you. 

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

If a professional footballer can't change the way he plays when asked then you'll have to question why are they a professional footballer.

Duck me..... It's not as if we're asking Craig Bryson to play centre half.

You say that, but Bryson literally did play centre half for most of the Brighton game.

10 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Just a question.... But, what IF Nigel Pearson flops?

I mean, we're basically giving the guy the licence to rip up everything Derby have built up over the past five years in terms of personnel, on-field partnerships, systems and style of football.

We could end up selling players like Martin, Hughes, Bryson, Russell etc.

And then we flop... Where would we go from there? Back to square one, with a squad lacking quality in key areas, having spunked (already £30 million, could be up to £45 million by the time the window is done).

Mel Morris is taking a massive gamble here. I'm fearful.

Yes its disappointing, worries me too.

But I would rather have problems right now in early games with time to sort things out.

Rather that than the sides' performance just dying in March - May (2014/2015) or go all the way to the play-offs and then collapse (2015/2016).

Got to give him 10 games before we know where we are.

Answering an earlier well made point:

Speaking for myself, the problem I have with the wrist slashers is that they tend to write off entire seasons based on one performance or result. I am probably a happy clapper. I am disappointed that we didn't get a result at Barnsley as they ought to be a team we are beating. However, I refuse to enter into the 'we're doomed' debate after two league games. It isn't great so far. Hopefully it will get better. I didn't think we needed to tear up the blueprint of the last few seasons. NP did. Time will tell and it's too early to judge. But yes, I'm disappointed.

7 minutes ago, Ninos said:

We are rubbish because our whole forward line is rubbish. That includes Blackman, Martin, Bent, Weimann, Ince, Russell, Camara, the lot of them. You'd think after so much failure over so many seasons we would have had a clearout and get some winning blood in here. The Benfica (reserves) thing was a warning shot ... and to be fair, Brighton could have easily murdered us in that first home game. (if not for some last ditch defending). Pearson has a lot of work to do but the first thing he needs to do is SELL! Keep Hughes and Thorne (assuming he can still play football), and arguably Bryson. But the rest should be let go at the right price. We can get far better players.

23 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Just a question.... But, what IF Nigel Pearson flops?

I mean, we're basically giving the guy the licence to rip up everything Derby have built up over the past five years in terms of personnel, on-field partnerships, systems and style of football.

We could end up selling players like Martin, Hughes, Bryson, Russell etc.

And then we flop... Where would we go from there? Back to square one, with a squad lacking quality in key areas, having spunked (already £30 million, could be up to £45 million by the time the window is done).

Mel Morris is taking a massive gamble here. I'm fearful.

19 minutes ago, nfb said:

It has always been thus... clubs in search of glory swap and change spend fortunes and if it goes wrong they end up like QPR or Blackburn..... hugely in debt and still struggling to move up, even we've been there :( and may be there again if your fears are right

And that my friends is what you call football !  well football fans anyway !

In terms of the 4-4-2,

Neither Mac or Clement persisted very long with it. Perhaps if it's persisted with the players will come to understand and accept their new roles? Passes going nowhere now start finding the man, the front 2 start worrying defences, they understand by instinct who's doing what?

At the moment they are out of their comfort zone for sure - perhaps putting them outside of it for a while will be better in the long run.

11 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Terrible result that. I hate the saying "they wanted it more"... a common term used from grass roots up.... But we should have the ability to beat sides on quality alone with what we have to our disposal. Another weekend ruined. Roll on the next game! Come on Derby FFS!!!!

Still got the Olympics and the cricket..... Well the Olympics anyway 

4 minutes ago, Ninos said:

We are rubbish because our whole forward line is rubbish. That includes Blackman, Martin, Bent, Weimann, Ince, Russell, Camara, the lot of them. You'd think after so much failure over so many seasons we would have had a clearout and get some winning blood in here. The Benfica (reserves) thing was a warning shot ... and to be fair, Brighton could have easily murdered us in that first home game. (if not for some last ditch defending). Pearson has a lot of work to do but the first thing he needs to do is SELL! Keep Hughes and Thorne (assuming he can still play football), and arguably Bryson. But the rest should be let go at the right price. We can get far better players.

I think the frustrating thing is that by all account we have some promising young forwards and there are enough talented, cheap strikers out yet and yet we can't bring them through because of a logjam of uninspiring forwards. If Pearson is set on 4-4-2, you've got 7 guys trying for two positions as well as people like Zanzala waiting in the wings, whilst having no "wide midfielder" types. 

If getting rid of players was easy, I'd happily cut Bent and Ince and try hard to convert Camara and Russell to being wide midfielders. We have a similar logjam in midfield, which makes it all the more surprising we've not sold the bang average Hendrick. 

Ultimately I don't buy into the criticism "the players don't fit our system". They're professional footballers ffs. The problem is more that the current squad composition is designed to fit a 4-3-3, so a switch to 4-4-2 leaves us with a surplus of forwards and central midfielders and a shortage of wide players.

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

Stats on the sky app look quite clement -esque. 

61% possession,  16 shots to 9. Tho only 4 on target. Gazillions of passes. I know stats are not the whole story but they don't suggest that it was a complete disaster. 

We created absolutely nothing of note until it was too late. Good save from Russell and Ince, Forsyth chance/rebound. They had absolutely naff all, we made them look good.

I looks like its going to be a long season of transition with mid table likely to be our final destination. We need to face up to the fact that NP is going to demolish this squad and remake it in his own image, which could mean us losing a few of the heroes along the way. 

I think we also have to accept that this squad has had its day and we're facing another rebuild, which will leave us out of contention. Our current players do not seem to have the basic footballing intelligence to adapt to new formations,  and we have too many mediocre talents   I just hope NP doesn't throw the baby out with the bath water and we end up losing our genuine talents like Hughes. 

Sad but understandable to hear Rams fans tearing into the players today after the game - what a bloody start to a season!

Archived