Barnsley vs Derby County

Warren Hobhead

Something I am baffled is why if a squad overhaul was in plan, why have we waited to start it until mid-August with two weeks of the window left, not anti NP but this start has been terribly unconvincing. 

Who would blame, Martin and Hughes if they wanted to leave this system does not play to their strengths at all,  have no issue with changing the formation but would have been nice to have players in a bit earlier and if DCFC are going to rely on an aging  Darren Bent for firepower well it will be mid-table, this is what happens when a pace striker start to lose some of his pace.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, sage said:

Did you go?

That would have you offered you some perspective.

Absolute shambles.

No I didn't Sage .. And it sounded like a shambles on the radio. I think what I wanted to say was we lost, it was dire, we should be able to beat these but life and sport isn't like that and we don't need to be shambolic in our reaction. We mustn't knee jerk no matter how much we want to .. Me included. We need to keep our heads when all around us are losing theirs. Sounds trite but the world hasn't ended .. Steel ourselves, learn, respond gird loins think calmly .. All  that stuff .. Still feels like cr*p though :unsure:

2 minutes ago, jono said:

No I didn't Sage .. And it sounded like a shambles on the radio. I think what I wanted to say was we lost, it was dire, we should be able to beat these but life and sport isn't like that and we don't need to be shambolic in our reaction. We mustn't knee jerk no matter how much we want to .. Me included. We need to keep our heads when all around us are losing theirs. Sounds trite but the world hasn't ended .. Steel ourselves, learn, respond gird loins think calmly .. All  that stuff .. Still feels like cr*p though :unsure:

I wasn't booing and nor did I leave early, but it is a shambles. He needs to stick or twist ie 433 or buy different players.

43 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

Something I am baffled is why if a squad overhaul was in plan, why have we waited to start it until mid-August with two weeks of the window left, not anti NP but this start has been terribly unconvincing. 

Could be because Mel wants money from sales in first before we start throwing more money at it

Some of our fans are so impatient. Three games in and they are already throwing Pearson under the bus.

I can't blame him for trying something different.

Are we actually equipped to play 4-3-3 at this time? No, Thorne is a long-term absentee due to injury and no-one within the squad is capable of filling in. We could have played 4-3-3 today and the result could very well have been exactly the same. Is it an infallible system? No, we have lost games with similarly poor performances using 4-3-3.

Seemingly, Pearson is going to impose his own ideas and style of play on this group of players, but I'm guessing Mel agreed to give Pearson full autonomy and his complete trust, given his track record.

In the same way, we need to give him time and have some patience before condemning the move. He doesn't need to be under undue pressure after just three games. The season is barely a week old.

It is going to take some time for us to click. We need to accept that. The time to panic is if we are in midtable and losing to Wigan at home in December.

I'm not saying that there are not things to worry about it - Martin and Hughes not figuring from the start and playing players out of position seems a hindrance - but we need to give it time before we pass judgement and there is mass hysteria.

Barnsley Fan in peace and I don't really do this so I hope you realise its definitely not a gloating post as I know our limitations.

Firstly I'm glad we have played you on the 2nd weekend of the season, you can see the quality all over the park. Away from that you kind of played into our hands. We've 2 decent centre halves, one (Roberts in particular who hardly ever loses a header), and the other Mawson, who's highly thought of. We hit teams on the break and try to do it with pace and I think we'll surprise a few teams by the end of next May.

When you got the opportunity to hurt us you did it down the sides, but the cross or final ball was average at best. I thought you looked like a top side and I'll be surprised if you aren't in the top 6 by the end of the season, maybe we got lucky to meet you before you are at full tilt. 

All in all though a good game for the neutral and I'm ******* glad of a win, obviously, but you'll be fine when you hit your straps. Definitely a top 4-6 team on that showing imho.

How can some fans say we are impatient for the last 3 years we have missed out. before that we have had to put up with some sh... as well as being the s.... prem side in its history. So if u was lucky enough to watch them in 70s dont f... talk to me about being impatient rite im of to go and smash my head against a wall for the 1m time.

2 hours ago, rynny said:

The goals have just been ok soccer saturday, Blackman left his man for the 2nd, Shackell looks like he left his as well. Too many players standing still. 1st is harsh on Carson, think Forsyth and Butterfield have been harshly called as well for the goal, the big problem is the lack of players marking on the edge of the box. 

The 1st there was Fozzie, Butterball and Bryso all doing not much.

For the second I can't figure what Keogh was doing in between two of their players turning his back on the ball???

There was some real vitriol and venom hurled at the players and management at the end of the game - not quite Rotherham level, but pretty intense all the same. I'm pretty broad-minded, but even I was somewhat taken aback at one woman, early thirties I should think, who was screaming hatred and bile at just about everybody connected with Derby County.

7 minutes ago, Terry Nutkins said:

Barnsley Fan in peace and I don't really do this so I hope you realise its definitely not a gloating post as I know our limitations.

Firstly I'm glad we have played you on the 2nd weekend of the season, you can see the quality all over the park. Away from that you kind of played into our hands. We've 2 decent centre halves, one (Roberts in particular who hardly ever loses a header), and the other Mawson, who's highly thought of. We hit teams on the break and try to do it with pace and I think we'll surprise a few teams by the end of next May.

When you got the opportunity to hurt us you did it down the sides, but the cross or final ball was average at best. I thought you looked like a top side and I'll be surprised if you aren't in the top 6 by the end of the season, maybe we got lucky to meet you before you are at full tilt. 

All in all though a good game for the neutral and I'm ******* glad of a win, obviously, but you'll be fine when you hit your straps. Definitely a top 4-6 team on that showing imho.

Very generous appraisal Terry. I generally look on the brighter side than most, when it comes to Derby performances. But I can't see how we looked top 6 at all today. On the flip side, I thought you looked very organised and a threat on the break. The score line probably flattered us. You will indeed surprise a few this season. Good luck for the rest of the season 

2 minutes ago, Dcfc10 said:

How can some fans say we are impatient for the last 3 years we have missed out. before that we have had to put up with some sh... as well as being the s.... prem side in its history. So if u was lucky enough to watch them in 70s dont f... talk to me about being impatient rite im of to go and smash my head against a wall for the 1m time.

Me too. Perhaps because in the late 60s / early 70s when I watched them I loved the fact that every week we thought we'd win!

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The 1st there was Fozzie, Butterball and Bryso all doing not much.

For the second I can't figure what Keogh was doing in between two of their players turning his back on the ball???

I thought what Forsyth and Butterfield did was fine, stood up and made him go backwards, there should never be a player free on the edge of your own box.

Second Keogh probably was trying to cover for Blackman as he had let his man run and got caught in between the 2 players, nut only Keogh will know. All I know is that their player should not have had a free run and header for the goal, and the blame lies squarely at the player who left him.

22 minutes ago, Terry Nutkins said:

Watching the highlights you guys should have been 4-0 up. You have some decent looking players and at least play like a team. Its a transition time for Derby - don't think we will be in the playoffs this season - very competitive this year.

12 minutes ago, eddie said:

There was some real vitriol and venom hurled at the players and management at the end of the game - not quite Rotherham level, but pretty intense all the same. I'm pretty broad-minded, but even I was somewhat taken aback at one woman, early thirties I should think, who was screaming hatred and bile at just about everybody connected with Derby County.

I know it was bad, but the scenes today and some of the things said, you wouldn't have thought it was only the second game of the season. I blame the metrodome for all the anger, it didn't have the big function room open with a big screen this time. Royally stirred up my gravy before we'd even kicked off. I am sure this was a mutual feeling amongst my fellow Rams comrades.

I think its easy to watch the game through your own teams viewpoint which ever way that is, not just the positive but also on the negative. Last week we went to Ipswich, dominated the posession and the shots on target but came away with zip.

The Barnsley fans all walked away chuffed today after seeing the game as one of the tougher home games we have, and most would have been happy with a draw. I just think for all your quality and possession you didn't really hurt us, apart from a couple of 2nd half situations. Having said that at times you could see more in the tank, it just never really transpired.

Like I said, I think when you click, and its not far off, then you'll go on a run and the game against us will be forgotten.

13 minutes ago, eddie said:

I'm pretty broad-minded, but even I was somewhat taken aback at one woman, early thirties I should think, who was screaming hatred and bile at just about everybody connected with Derby County.

She obviously got turned down for a job in the players canteen then

6 minutes ago, Dcfc10 said:

Yes, we've missed out for the last three seasons because we haven't been good enough.

Yes, we've struggled for a long time too, because again we haven't been good enough.

Pearson is new to the job. He is trying to figure out how he can change that and put it into effect. That isn't going to happen overnight or in a matter of weeks.

How he goes about that remains to be seen. It's the second week of August, not December, not April. It's too soon to judge him. He is still finding his feet in the role and still getting to grips with the squad.

Did you think we'd be blowing teams away right off the bat? :lol:

Everyone is hurting, but sometimes things get worse before they eventually get better.

Day summary.

Got there early and straight to the Dove Inn. Lovely staff, good beer and the sun shone. Good crack with a few Derby fans in there. Sandwich from nearby buttie shop was great (bacon and egg!).

Good atmosphere from away fans initially, before frustration set in. There was more movement in the seats than there was on the pitch among our players. No energy until Johnny came on. If there was a system at play, I didn't get it and neither did the players. Carson unlucky for the first goal. Too far away to see the second. Our first shot on target was way, way too late. Barnsley worked hard for each other and deserved their win. We both move on. No booing, no hissy fits, there's another game on Tuesday and Mr P must learn from the three games played so far. Good luck to him.

Oh, if you were the pr*ck giving the stewards large while standing at the top of entrance 4 stairs for most of the game, have a shave, pull your pants up, switch your phone off and take yer shabby, puny body back to the hole you came from.

Back to the Dove while the traffic calmed down. Another couple of pints with some sensible Barnsley fans, including the landlord, who know about football and know how to treat people right.

Watch the Oly,pics tonight and remember how it feels to be proud!

Archived