Barnsley vs Derby County

Warren Hobhead

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've feared the arrogance of NP. That he could take a failing team and walk the leauge with it, while he is at the healm. Ive watched Derby twice this season and they are certainly worse than last, barring Hull in the first leg of course.

2 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

I would imagine NP has been backing his own ability to get the most out of the players. He will be as disappointed as everyone else is that it hasn't been a positive start but if the players prove not to be capable of performing the roles he has for them then he is not the sort of person to mess around. As an experienced manager he will sort it and bring in the players that can do what he wants them to do & he will have the mandate from Mel to do what is necessary even if that means moving several of our former favourites on.

Makes sense. Getting rid of a load of good players because they don't play in your system rather than playing to there strengths! 

Just a question.... But, what IF Nigel Pearson flops?

I mean, we're basically giving the guy the licence to rip up everything Derby have built up over the past five years in terms of personnel, on-field partnerships, systems and style of football.

We could end up selling players like Martin, Hughes, Bryson, Russell etc.

And then we flop... Where would we go from there? Back to square one, with a squad lacking quality in key areas, having spunked (already £30 million, could be up to £45 million by the time the window is done).

Mel Morris is taking a massive gamble here. I'm fearful.

1 minute ago, JaguarRam said:

Makes sense. Getting rid of a load of good players because they don't play in your system rather than playing to there strengths! 

Still, it is easier to sell the good players - who'd buy Blackman or Johnson?!

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Just a question.... But, what IF Nigel Pearson flops?

I mean, we're basically giving the guy the licence to rip up everything Derby have built up over the past five years in terms of personnel, on-field partnerships, systems and style of football.

We could end up selling players like Martin, Hughes, Bryson, Russell etc.

And then we flop... Where would we go from there? Back to square one, with a squad lacking quality in key areas, having spunked (already £30 million, could be up to £45 million by the time the window is done).

Mel Morris is taking a massive gamble here. I'm fearful.

It has always been thus... clubs in search of glory swap and change spend fortunes and if it goes wrong they end up like QPR or Blackburn..... hugely in debt and still struggling to move up, even we've been there :( and may be there again if your fears are right

Lets be honest about it we've been rubbish for a season and a half... We were rubbish back end of the season mac flopped up to 8th and we were very poor all last season and only really played well in a handful of games... We've not played good football consitantly for a while 

5 minutes ago, unclej said:

I've feared the arrogance of NP. That he could take a failing team and walk the leauge with it, while he is at the healm. Ive watched Derby twice this season and they are certainly worse than last, barring Hull in the first leg of course.

Exactly when and where did Pearson say he would walk the league with this squad? His target is promotion but that's what it is - a target not a prediction!

Archived