Barnsley vs Derby County

Warren Hobhead

2 minutes ago, Will the Ram said:

If we're playing 4-4-2, then how can you have a midfield with no recognised wingers?

Today we played with 3 CMs and a striker, with Ince (who is a winger usually) upfront with Russell sat on the bench.

I know Pearson is giving everyone a chance, but how can we have our most effective players on the bench (Hughes, Martin, Russell)? Russell was quite effective when he came on. Martin too. Hughes did have an off day though.

I see what you're saying but with all them on the field - we lost.

Folks have been moaning that Ince shouldn't be on the wing and should be played in the middle?

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, MrsRam said:

I see what you're saying but with all them on the field - we lost.

Folks have been moaning that Ince shouldn't be on the wing and should be played in the middle?

Ince may well be more effective down the middle in the long run, but who else do you play on the wings?

At the moment for all the squad depth we have, we only have two wingers by my count.

We're only 2 games in, far too early to be making any judgments. Newcastle have lost both games and yet everyone was saying they will walk it. Probably still will. Pearson clearly has different ideas and may take time to work. I wouldn't be surprised if we are in bottom half in October, but still wouldn't mean we are out of the running (95/96, 06/07). Pearson's record shows he gets it right more often than not, it may take longer than we want but I expect him to build sustainable success at Derby and an exciting team. I see no reason at this point why he won't achieve both. As for formations and players, don't care, players come and go as do managers, the fans are the only constant and we need to get behind the team. It's too early to criticise.

Forget 433. 

It was used to make the most of players strengths. 

For example we had/have 3 midfielders that are much stronger in the final third than they are in our first third. Yet we had 2 defensive minded midfielders. So it released some of the responsibility 

We had a slowish moving, fast thinking technical striker. So we played with energetic wingers to get down the flank and in behind when Martin steps deep.

We then found that Bryson, relieved of much of defensive duties could also get around and past Martin. Him scoring a career best. 

It wasn't 433 for fun or to be different. 

It might have worked in another similar set up. 

But it suited the strengths of these players. 

People keep saying "they're professional footballers though!!"

So are Barnsley. So are Preston on Tuesday. And it might help give us the extra edge if we play to our strengths. 

Bryson playing 10 yard passes the way he's facing is only good if he's on the edge of their box. Not stood next to Keogh which is now part of his new role. 

What's he meant to do. Turn into Beckham or Pirlo to suit the system? 

38 minutes ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Pearson said everyone was fit minus Weimann and Thorne. Where is Olsson? Not on the bench, and in my opinion far better than Forsyth. He had a shocking match yesterday 

So as everyone else. 

2 minutes ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

I don't like singling people out but his defensive work for their first was shocking. His final ball was poor too

He put 2 crosses in their box in the first half that a good centre forward would have ripped their net out with.

Second half his crossing was absolutely shocking.

4 minutes ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

I don't like singling people out but his defensive work for their first was shocking. His final ball was poor too

What about these crosses in first half? 

So you are blaming Forsyth for the first goal? 

Perhaps think about Blackman and Christie who let a player in behind them meaning Keogh had to go across to the right and close him down and the defence was all over the place. When it went over to the left a quick cross would have caused chaos. Forsyth held him up and showed him inside to Butterfield and Bryson. Butterfield missed a tacle and Bryson missed the the pass to the scorer. However the coup de grace was then administered by Blackman again who instead of closing down the scorer stood still and turned his back. 

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

He put 2 crosses in their box in the first half that a good centre forward would have ripped their net out with.

Second half his crossing was absolutely shocking.

True but we know he can do it and he has been the only Derby player so far this season trying to cross the ball from the left hand side 

10 minutes ago, sage said:

So you are blaming Forsyth for the first goal? 

Perhaps think about Blackman and Christie who let a player in behind them meaning Keogh had to go across to the right and close him down and the defence was all over the place. When it went over to the left a quick cross would have caused chaos. Forsyth held him up and showed him inside to Butterfield and Bryson. Butterfield missed a tacle and Bryson missed the the pass to the scorer. However the coup de grace was then administered by Blackman again who instead of closing down the scorer stood still and turned his back. 

Forsyth and Butterfield doubled up on him. One had to press. It was so easy for him. Don't get me started on Blackman 

Forsyth and Butterfield doubled up on him. One had to press. It was so easy for him. Don't get me started on Blackman 

Christie's fault for the second goal. Completely left his man. 

Archived