Barnsley vs Derby County

Warren Hobhead

Not seen a match thread on this occasion so I've created one, my first ever. 

The Rams travel ooop north to face Barnsley this Saturday, 3pm kick off, backed by 5,000 or so of us as we look to pull in our first three point haul in the embryonic stage of this 2016-17 campaign. 

Referee: Tony Harrington - http://www.soccerbase.com/referees/referee.sd?referee_id=1157

Directions - ooop north. 

The last time this fixture was played: 

All time head to head record: http://www.11v11.com/teams/derby-county/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Barnsley/

Team news: The Rams will again be without the services of George Thorne, Marcus Olsson and Andi Weimann but other than that we're practically full strength. Very difficult to gauge how NP is thinking regards the likely lineup. The keeper and back four will pick itself as usual, but it's up for debate beyond that. The Tykes lost star striker Sam Winnall to a hamstring injury on the opening day last weekend but have no further issues on that front. They fielded a strong side in the cup midweek yet lost 1-2 to Northampton after extra time. 

Ex players: Both Jason Shackell and Jacob Butterfield return to their old stomping ground on Saturday. I remember being at Oakwell the night we lost 3-2 in 2012. Shacks was booed by the home ends all night and had an awful game. Bit like Burnley last season...

The Tykes don't have any ex Rams in their squad. Rare of them. They once had quite a few. 

Player to watch for Barnsley - Adam Hammill. 

Bookies odds: Rams 11/10 for the win, Tykes 13/5 and the draw is 9/4 (Bill Hill). 

Fun fact: Nigel Pearson scored his first goal in football against Barnsley, for Shrewsbury back in 1983. 

My thoughts? We should have too much for them. Would like to see this XI.......

Carson 

Christie Keogh Shackell Forsyth 

Butterfield Bryson Hughes Ince 

Martin Blackman

UP THE RAMS

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carson

Christie Keogh Shackell Forsyth

Blackman Hughes Hendrick Butterfield

Ince

Martin

Butterfield on the left isn't ideal but worth a go after mid week performance there. I feel sorry for him he's done well every opportunity this season but still struggling to get a place in the middle.

I've gone for Martin against Barnsly who I can imagine sitting a bit deeper. Interesting contest for that spot with Bent as the season starts to progress

How far off is Olsson do we know? 

I hope Butterfield gets a chance to play. Imo he is our most underrated player.

Carson

Christie  Keogh     Shackell    Forsyth

Blackman  Bryson   Hughes    Butterfield

Ince

Bent

4 hours ago, DC-1975 said:

After Butterfield's little cameo on the left of midfield, I think we may see him play there on Saturday.

Has he played in that position before @Warren Hobhead ?

Always been a centre midfielder I think. Not heard of him playing wide before. Good footballers ought to be able to adapt though. So long as he's nearer their box than ours I'll be happy. 

Can't make my mind up over centre mid with Hughes .. I'd really prefer Butterfield but if NP wants him on the flank what do I know ? 

I want to see us really run with 4411/442 for a decent period but until we sort out who is on the wings and who the midfielders are that understand how to work with the width it's going to be a learning curve. 

Carson

Christie Keogh Shacks Fozzie 

Blackman Hughes Butterfield Ince 

Bent Martin .... ( this needs time ) 

Not my first XI but i think NP will remain stubborn and keep a sinilar lineup to the brighton game.

Carson

Christie     Keogh        Shackell      forsyth

Blackman   bryson  hendrick  Butterfield 

Ince 

Bent 

Not a bad side but hughes and Martin are great players and deserve much more of a chance. 

Carson

Christie      Keogh        shackell         Forsyth

russell    Hughes   Bryson            Butterfield 

Ince

Blackman

32 minutes ago, kingsy1884 said:

Not my first XI but i think NP will remain stubborn and keep a sinilar lineup to the brighton game.

Carson

Ince 

Bent 

Not a bad side but hughes and Martin are great players and deserve much more of a chance. 

Probably correct with that team possibly with Johnson back in to be stubborn and away from home but I agree totally about Martin and Hughes 

50 minutes ago, kingsy1884 said:

Carson

Ince 

Bent 

Great matchthread from @Warren Hobhead. Sadly I think Pearson is a stubborn bugger so this will be the team, again without Hughes, Martin or Ruussell starting. Butterfield's a huge improvement on Johnson and of course has played his way into the starting 11 if he's now fit enough, but a teamsheet without Will Hughes is a very much weakened Derby teamsheet. And without Martin we're bound to find it harder to score.

As for Barnsley's Rams, Lewin Nyatanga (who I believe beat Gareth Bale to the Wales Young Player of the Year Award while he was with us) has gone out on loan back to league One.

Don't think Martin is NP's cup of tea.... but I think him with Ince behind him, would work well. Both clever players and could be Ince's best position..

I don't think Bent is the answer..... shocking!

And never been a big fan of Blackman, BUT he looked a threat Tuesday (albeit against Grimsby). Direct and not afraid to take players on. Got some skills....

My XI

Carson, Christie, Shackell, Keogh, Fozzie, Bryson, Hughes, Butterfield, Russell, Ince, Martin

COYR !

Archived