Barnsley vs Derby County

Warren Hobhead

Just now, CumbrianRam said:

Maybe both?

Yep, and surely, players and manager can adapt?  Football is not set in stone - its a simple game really. Isn't it?

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MrsRam said:

For three seasons now, we've been nearly men - yes, we've got to the semis, the play offs, just missed out - but we've not won. So we feel comfortable with that team - just a little bit more, another player, this team is the one? just a tweek?

Maybe we do need an overhaul, some new blood, let go of our 'comfortable' nearly men. Chrissy Martin, Johnny Russell, Fozzy, all our friends, we love them all, but maybe it's time to let them go and start anew. 

Let's do something that scares us - and Pearson is probs the one to do it lol. 

We're in a rut, time to change. 

You could be right Mrs Ram. 

I know I keep going on but this team

Grant, Wisdom, Keogh, Buxton, Forsyth, Eustace, Hughes, Bryson, Ward, Martin, Russell

Supported by Hendrick, Bamford, Dawkins..

got 85pts, scored more than anyone, scored 6 in the play offs and was never built on. Not truly. We didn't upgrade these lads. Man for man they're still our better players. 

The idea of Wassall was to go back to the core players. Why? To bin them a few months later?

I can't say you're wrong because time will only tell. 

But I'm just more of a fan of working with what you've got than what you might have one day. 

IF Pearson wants to change stuff, cool. Do it gradually. Let the players roll with what they work in. And start from there? 

Not saying I'm definitely right. Just trying to explain myself rather than appearing negative with no reason. 

Just now, Alpha said:

You could be right Mrs Ram. 

I know I keep going on but this team

Grant, Wisdom, Keogh, Buxton, Forsyth, Eustace, Hughes, Bryson, Ward, Martin, Russell

Supported by Hendrick, Bamford, Dawkins..

got 85pts, scored more than anyone, scored 6 in the play offs and was never built on. Not truly. We didn't upgrade these lads. Man for man they're still our better players. 

The idea of Wassall was to go back to the core players. Why? To bin them a few months later?

I can't say you're wrong because time will only tell. 

But I'm just more of a fan of working with what you've got than what you might have one day. 

IF Pearson wants to change stuff, cool. Do it gradually. Let the players roll with what they work in. And start from there? 

Not saying I'm definitely right. Just trying to explain myself rather than appearing negative with no reason. 

The "Derby Way" is looking almost redundant now.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I've seen a few people say we are in a rut or the like...really?

We have spent very little of the last 3 years out of the top 6.

If change was required do it the proper way, get rid of some players and get some money in for replacements. Surely do this in July though rather than once the season is under way.

Poor planning.

Pearson might have thought or was told, he had to do with what we had - and now knows we need to do something. What's with Hughes? Everyone saying he's first on the team sheet? How did he do today? 

9 minutes ago, MrsRam said:

HIS lack of flexibility, or the players?

8 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

Maybe both?

I like that when he arrived Pearson was all like "I don't ONLY have one formation... I don't ALWAYS play a variation on 4-4-2... I'll look at the players and see what works for the squad..."

Season opens... We play 4-4-2... Doesn't suit the players at all...

labeuf-slow-clap.gif

I know what you mean, bloody hell, I love this team but I just wonder if we're just a bit comfortable. Something needs to be done, a rocket, a threat, I don't know. It's not worked before, is all I mean.

1 minute ago, MrsRam said:

Pearson might have thought or was told, he had to do with what we had - and now knows we need to do something. What's with Hughes? Everyone saying he's first on the team sheet? How did he do today? 

Did Pearson do any research om out players? Or just come in and decide he would try and fit them into his system? I don't know the answer but it looks like the latter to me.

Hughes was poor, one of his worst displays in a Derby shirt for me. Was not doing the simple things. Doesn't appear keeping him on the bench has had the desired effect? 

1 minute ago, MrsRam said:

I know what you mean, bloody hell, I love this team but I just wonder if we're just a bit comfortable. Something needs to be done, a rocket, a threat, I don't know. It's not worked before, is all I mean.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Did Pearson do any research om out players? Or just come in and decide he would try and fit them into his system? I don't know the answer but it looks like the latter to me.

Hughes was poor, one of his worst displays in a Derby shirt for me. Was not doing the simple things. Doesn't appear keeping him on the bench has had the desired effect? 

I have this revolutionary idea...

Play a system which suits the players you have... Or get a whole set of new ones... 

Oh... And please just go back to Leicester and leave us alone...

:(

I'm sure Pearson knew about our players well before he was unveiled as manager or whatever he is.  We had Leicester fans on here, telling us he will do exactly what he is doing now.

Let's just try another way. 

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I have this revolutionary idea...

Play a system which suits the players you have... Or get a whole set of new ones... 

Oh... And please just go back to Leicester and leave us alone...

:(

Really?

Very shortsighted.

4 minutes ago, MrsRam said:

I'm sure Pearson knew about our players well before he was unveiled as manager or whatever he is.  We had Leicester fans on here, telling us he will do exactly what he is doing now.

Let's just try another way. 

But while he's in the process of doing this he is going to continue playing players out of position, further denting their confidence, reducing their value and leaving us left behind?

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

But while he's in the process of doing this he is going to continue playing players out of position, further denting their confidence, reducing their value and leaving us left behind?

Give over. They're professional footballers. 

Maybe, just maybe, the players train really well in the formation he chooses all week, but under match day pressure the same players struggle to play the same way.

They may get better in time, they may not and we'll see replacements, but it's much too early to panic.

About 4 months too early, at least.

I don't like the direction we appear to be taking, but he's the expert, I'm not, so I'll give him a fair crack.

We had this with Clement - then Wassall - same team, different managers. 

Just need a bit of a shuffle. Is all. 

I'm as pi55ed off as you - just looking for an answer. 

If we're playing 4-4-2, then how can you have a midfield with no recognised wingers?

Today we played with 3 CMs and a striker, with Ince (who is a winger usually) upfront with Russell sat on the bench.

I know Pearson is giving everyone a chance, but how can we have our most effective players on the bench (Hughes, Martin, Russell)? Russell was quite effective when he came on. Martin did no worse than anyone else. Hughes did have an off day though.

Archived