Barnsley vs Derby County

Warren Hobhead

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So many, when slating Wassall last season, told us that Pearson was the experienced manager that could get more out of the players and would iron out the weaknesses, what changed since he was appointed?

I was one of the few who quite liked Wassall, he got the team playing really well towards to end of the season, went to Brighton and totally outplayed them, shame that he lost it v Hull, at the moment it is a huge leap backwards and not sure fans are ready for a transistion season, I am not.

Shame he played Thorne v Ipswich!

11 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Fair enough i-ram. 

But let's look at Derby. Nigel Clough set on the path of bringing in footballers. McClaren then found a system that played to the strength of these players. And when we had our best 11 out we were a force. Even when we had to use our depth we were ok. But we struggled when the back up to our back up was done for.

Then Clement came in and tried to make us more adaptable. Thing is we didn't need adapting. We needed to build on what we had. So he was sacked for not following that path.

Here we could have appointed Pearson or Pearson's dog. But we chose Wassall to do what Clement was hired to do.

To continue this evolution.

So then we go to Pearson. Likely because of his name and his CV. Not because he's the man that fits what we want. 

But the thing is we don't need a complete overhaul. We don't need rescuing. We have been in the top 6 for almost all of 3 years.

He's a good coach with a good record. And that's great. But you'd think he'd come into this situation and run with what is here. Tweak this and tweak that. Start funneling in players to fit systems he wants to use. Not to come in and demand everyone swings right over to his way. I'm sure they'll try. They are trying. They'll do what they're told. But they aren't against nobodies. These are competitive opponents. 

We weren't in a crisis. We were falling short. 

And it was this philosophy of evolution instead of revolution that cost Clement his job and put Wassall in charge. 

It's a philosophy that most long term growing clubs use. When you break from character, like Man United, you suffer. 

I don't think it makes anyone a fool for not being happy he's breaking a team that took 8 years to evolve. That cost our last manager his job (because we were still on the top 5).

If we'd planned a rebuild then maybe Pearson should have come in after Clement.

But you can't criticise those that aren't happy about the idea of rebuilding. We've seen it endless times over the years. We've not had much success.

Recruit to fit. Right now it's a clash. It's only 3 games but there's been such poor movement, passing, creativity that it looks awful. Players that have served us well being left out for things we've never seen work. 

People are going to get frustrated. If you support the idea of a rebuild then that's fair enough. I personally don't. And I'm finding it hard to shut up and take it because I love dcfc. I felt we were growing. 

This couldn't have been put better

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Sorry but today had nothing to do with mentality, frailty or anything like that. Today was down to using tactics that a) did not suit us and b) played into Barnsleys hands

Has the BBC comments been posted yet? Assume it's much the same:

Derby County boss Nigel Pearson:

"There are a few psychological issues to address in the sense that we've got a few players who are out of form and they've got to try and find a way back into form.

"I've got to manage the players through that process. It's never easy and people have their own opinions on things but what we'll do is get back to work and try and rectify what has been a difficult and disappointing afternoon.

"We don't like it when we've got a good following and we let our fans down but more importantly we don't want to let ourselves down and we've done that here. It's my team and it's my job to rectify that and I will do that.

"People have different ideas of formations and style of play but if you look at the side we had out there today, I could easily have played two or three different formations. It's difficult because of changes for the new season."

Manager takes a team of players who probably played the game of the season in the playoff second leg... Who are just looking to make that kind of performance more regular... And blames the PLAYERS when he starts messing around with everything which was working before?

No Pearson... Just no...

If your system doesn't work for these players just say that... Say "This is the way I want us to play... It's the way I played with Leicester and it's the way I know how to play... These players can't play it..." 

Don't blame their lack of form... That is the ONLY reason we brought you in... To inspire otherwise already good players thanks...

2 minutes ago, mozza said:

Anyone else get the impression NP isn't fully committed yet ?

No , must be just me then ..

I think that, think he being clever here and the fact that he aint signing players means he is buying himself time and can state excuses come the end of the year.

23 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Fair enough i-ram. 

But let's look at Derby. Nigel Clough set on the path of bringing in footballers. McClaren then found a system that played to the strength of these players. And when we had our best 11 out we were a force. Even when we had to use our depth we were ok. But we struggled when the back up to our back up was done for.

Then Clement came in and tried to make us more adaptable. Thing is we didn't need adapting. We needed to build on what we had. So he was sacked for not following that path.

Here we could have appointed Pearson or Pearson's dog. But we chose Wassall to do what Clement was hired to do.

To continue this evolution.

So then we go to Pearson. Likely because of his name and his CV. Not because he's the man that fits what we want. 

But the thing is we don't need a complete overhaul. We don't need rescuing. We have been in the top 6 for almost all of 3 years.

He's a good coach with a good record. And that's great. But you'd think he'd come into this situation and run with what is here. Tweak this and tweak that. Start funneling in players to fit systems he wants to use. Not to come in and demand everyone swings right over to his way. I'm sure they'll try. They are trying. They'll do what they're told. But they aren't against nobodies. These are competitive opponents. 

We weren't in a crisis. We were falling short. 

And it was this philosophy of evolution instead of revolution that cost Clement his job and put Wassall in charge. 

It's a philosophy that most long term growing clubs use. When you break from character, like Man United, you suffer. 

I don't think it makes anyone a fool for not being happy he's breaking a team that took 8 years to evolve. That cost our last manager his job (because we were still on the top 5).

If we'd planned a rebuild then maybe Pearson should have come in after Clement.

But you can't criticise those that aren't happy about the idea of rebuilding. We've seen it endless times over the years. We've not had much success.

Recruit to fit. Right now it's a clash. It's only 3 games but there's been such poor movement, passing, creativity that it looks awful. Players that have served us well being left out for things we've never seen work. 

People are going to get frustrated. If you support the idea of a rebuild then that's fair enough. I personally don't. And I'm finding it hard to shut up and take it because I love dcfc. I felt we were growing. 

Past experience has shown that Pearson can be very single minded almost dogmatic when it comes to players and playing styles, we must have realised that when we recruited him so why the surprise now 

Just now, Inglorius said:

Past experience has shown that Pearson can be very single minded almost dogmatic when it comes to players and playing styles, we must have realised that when we recruited him so why the surprise now 

I think the main surprise is that he is changed the system and not actually bought any players for it, a few wingers and pacy striker should have been in July if this was the idea and again throwing away points for experiments will possibly cost us in May,

For three seasons now, we've been nearly men - yes, we've got to the semis, the play offs, just missed out - but we've not won. So we feel comfortable with that team - just a little bit more, another player, this team is the one? just a tweek?

Maybe we do need an overhaul, some new blood, let go of our 'comfortable' nearly men. Chrissy Martin, Johnny Russell, Fozzy, all our friends, we love them all, but maybe it's time to let them go and start anew. 

Let's do something that scares us - and Pearson is probs the one to do it lol. 

We're in a rut, time to change. 

1 minute ago, CumbrianRam said:

I think the main surprise is that he is changed the system and not actually bought any players for it, a few wingers and pacy striker should have been in July if this was the idea and again throwing away points for experiments will possibly cost us in May,

Think I have expressed in another thread that perhaps Pearson was told that's what you've got to work with unless you generate income from selling players so he has tried to force the current incumbents into his favoured playing style again highlighting his lack of flexibility 

5 minutes ago, MrsRam said:

For three seasons now, we've been nearly men - yes, we've got to the semis, the play offs, just missed out - but we've not won. So we feel comfortable with that team - just a little bit more, another player, this team is the one? just a tweek?

Maybe we do need an overhaul, some new blood, let go of our 'comfortable' nearly men. Chrissy Martin, Johnny Russell, Fozzy, all our friends, we love them all, but maybe it's time to let them go and start anew. 

Let's do something that scares us - and Pearson is probs the one to do it lol. 

We're in a rut, time to change. 

I've seen a few people say we are in a rut or the like...really?

We have spent very little of the last 3 years out of the top 6.

If change was required do it the proper way, get rid of some players and get some money in for replacements. Surely do this in July though rather than once the season is under way.

Poor planning.

Archived