Mel is not happy (Alan Nixon rumour warning!)

Cam the Ram

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

"warm weather training" is a jolly.

Anyone who makes out it's got any basis beyond it being pleasant and hopefully boosting moral and team spirit is off their cracker. It's not that a nice wee trip isn't a nice thing to have, that's pretty much self evident. 

I seem to remember the squad doing something like that under Clough (N) - and they all had to pay it out their wages!

I thought Clough used to take the lads to Skeggy and give them a pound each to spend in the amusements.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Anon said:

I'm glad the trip to Dubai trip has been cancelled. What an extravagant waste of money to fly half way around the world in order to train in conditions we'll never play in.

"Warm weather training" has to be the biggest load of ***** I've ever heard. I bet the "sports psychologists" who came up with this rubbish are laughing up their sleeves now they get an all expenses paid jolly once per season.

Yeah, send the buggers somewhere freezing cold with no long sleeve shirts allowed .[I would ban them if I owned a football club]

22 minutes ago, Anon said:

I thought Clough used to take the lads to Skeggy and give them a pound each to spend in the amusements.

Clough used to take them to Spain - also Nigel tried this.

Cloughie  - asked the 70s squad to meet him in the pool - and then he found out half of his great side couldn't swim!!!

2 hours ago, JG400 said:

Yep you beat me to it , went to Dubai a couple of years ago for Wife's 50th , would go again tomorrow , top top holiday destination that I can heartily recommend 

I would be gutted if  my trip was cancelled

Sadly people who have never been there or uae think that the people there disrespect women and treat then like dirt when in fact they're the nicest people out there

We always play rubbish after warm weather training in Spain...............Dubai will be no different.............. Removal not retaliation. Just basic common sense. They need to put some hours in at Moor Farm to get their mojo back.

My experience of Kuwait (work trip, oil fields) when I went was that as long as you accept the general "how things work" people out there are just normal, fine human beings. Although Kuwait is officially "dry" a weekend trip to the UAE's two big cities is very popular with young Kuwaitis (who can afford it). Go there, don't take the **** out of their culture and be reasonable and it's lovely.

Some things I'm not massively keen on, but don't mistake cultural differences for good/bad people.

Alan Nixon - the boss of Goss(ip), according to his masthead.

Gossip -

noun
  1. 1.
    casual or unconstrained conversation or reports about other people, typically involving details which are not confirmed as true.

So by his own definition, he doesn't know if it's true or not!

It concerns me more that there's a tell- tale inside the club, it's not the 1st thing I've heard recently, whoever it is needs rooting out and removing from the club before they can cause more mischief, loose lips sink ships and all that.

Honestly do think the trip cancellation really might have a lot more to do with the Burnley game and the United game being so close together. Maybe I'm just buying into the spin but to it'll be full strength both games, lots of energy being expended. Going to a hot country and training hard the week before that isn't ideal.

Beat Birmingham, set things right after the Reading game. Then rest and recharge for a week because there's two absolute huge games coming up in quick succession when Monday comes around.

If we'd won against Reading, maybe the trip would still have been cancelled. We just wouldn't have heard about it.

2 hours ago, ossieram said:

What did it say because I never buy a programme because we always lose when I do.

2 hours ago, Shang said:

What does it say? Can you take a photo of this I don't have it. 

"As Paul Clement said last week,  he does not expect us to return to the market unless we suffer a significant injury. Those comments have not entirely ended the often absurd speculation that surrounds the club during transfer windows where certain journalists do not allow truth to get in the way of a good story! It did leave me to conclude that there can't be any other area of business life where stories can be invented without a grain of truth and without repercussions for the inventor of the story." Direct quote from The Ram.

No surprise that there is such problems in the club within a few hours of this piece, from certain journalists who do not allow truth to get in the way of a good story! To quote Sam.

1 minute ago, rynny said:

"As Paul Clement said last week,  he does not expect us to return to the market unless we suffer a significant injury. Those comments have not entirely ended the often absurd speculation that surrounds the club during transfer windows where certain journalists do not allow truth to get in the way of a good story! It did leave me to conclude that there can't be any other area of business life where stories can be invented without a grain of truth and without repercussions for the inventor of the story." Direct quote from The Ram.

No surprise that there is such problems in the club within a few hours of this piece, from certain journalists who do not allow truth to get in the way of a good story! To quote Sam.

But there was quite a lot of truth in this story. OK, it appears to have been sensationalised a little, but hardly invented by Nixon.

My money is on Mel reiterating to the team and staff that we need to play the Derby way. What probably galled him was the style of play on the day : The mauve team played like Derby should be playing and we played like some sort of rancid combo of Ipswich and Forest. When Derby don't try to play like Derby I want Mel there every time reminding them of who they are, how we play football, and what that Ram means on the jersey. Top Man ! 

8 minutes ago, Ninos said:

My money is on Mel reiterating to the team and staff that we need to play the Derby way. What probably galled him was the style of play on the day : The mauve team played like Derby should be playing and we played like some sort of rancid combo of Ipswich and Forest. When Derby don't try to play like Derby I want Mel there every time reminding them of who they are, how we play football, and what that Ram means on the jersey. Top Man ! 

it has got F all to do with him...he is NOT the coach.

50 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

But there was quite a lot of truth in this story. OK, it appears to have been sensationalised a little, but hardly invented by Nixon.

Actually happened:

Tuesday pm Man utd match moved to Friday night, Paul, Sam and Mel decide not enough time to go Dubai

Derby play poor against Reading and draw, Mel goes into changing rooms says wasnt good enough.

Nixon's version:

Derby play poor and draw with Reading, Mel goes into changing room b*ll*cks the players and cancels Dubai.

Like I said lets not let the truth get in the way of a good story. It may some truths in his version but the way it is told makes it not the truth.

3 hours ago, satty atwal said:

How is giving them a piece of his mind after a woeful performance like tues interfering? If he was making the transfers picking the team etc then that would be interfering. Dont forget he is a fan at the end of the day.... so dont think we can compare him to any random owner of a business.... he is clearly as passionate as the rest and giving them a rollocking when required for me is fair enough. Abramovich has been known to go on a rant on the odd occasion aswell mind.

Because the owner shouldn't be interfering with the managers job.

Football cannot easily be compared to a business but I have employees who work for me and if they have a bad day, I wouldn't want my boss coming in and talking to them.

Paul Clement's comments are classy - he's obviously trying to tame the incident and take the heat out of it but the fact it came out in the first place shows there is something in it. However note his comments - he says Morris has a right to do it, it doesn't say I wanted him to do it etc

The facts for me are the guy is simply interfering and sticking his nose in way too much. Good relationships take years to build but can go sour over night - something like this is heading sour in my eyes already.

It's difficult to believe that Mel would use the cancellation of the Dubai trip as a form of punishment. They each earn enough money to be able to go there whenever they wanted. They could even buy themselves a property whilst there from loose change.

I would have sent them to North Korea for a bit instead. 

I'd be surprised if they didn't get a rollicking from Mel during that horrendous capitulation last season as well. He must sense it about to happen again. It appeared that most of the crowd the other night also felt the same.

Archived