Mel is not happy (Alan Nixon rumour warning!)

Cam the Ram

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really do think this has made the game with Birmingham probably the most important MUST WIN of the season so far & for a number of very good reasons. In my opinion this will make our already nervous players even more nervous, last seasons last 13 games compitulation will still be giving the players involved some nightmares. It's all playing right into Birminghams hands as they lurk menisingly just outside the Play Off places, & their manager is just the type of person to exploit it all to the max. I really don't think Mr Morris's well intentioned visit to the home dressing room after the game on Tuesday has done us any favours at all.

Only time will tell ?.

At the pre-match press conference, Clemence had to answer many questions about what happened in the dressing room after the Reading game and also why the trip to Dubai has been cancelled.

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Paul-Clement-determined-bury-Reading/story-28530486-detail/story.html#ixzz3xGU8dCus 
Follow us: @DerbyTelegraph on Twitter | derbytelegraph on Facebook

Some say standards are dropping at the Derby Telegraph, I can see why!

If Paul Clement can't be trusted to get the best out the players then sack him.

If Mel Morris has to go in there and do it himself then Clement isn't the man for the job.

Clement reports to Mel. Players to Clement.

Completely undermined him.

Like I said, completely different when it's Fawaz and Cellino. 

All going to end in tears

I bet he wouldn't have so much support if he hadn't spent £20+m.

It's interesting what fans can turn a blind eye too.

It's also fans from a club not new to chairman meddling and a club who mocks two rivals for having meddling chairman. 

Was invited down to Moor Farm to meet Mel and was impressed with what he had to say. But imo, and I'm not trying to sway anybody else's opinion, what has happened since has deviated from that. 

I heard a rumour the other week about this sort of thing. Could be ******, but it's a coincidence and a half that this follows up soon after. 

Clement and his staff were employed as football people to deal with the football side. We were told how much experience in the game he has. How he's a great coach. I like the guy and think he's doing well enough. But if a business man has to go into the football side and talk up players then theres something wrong.

A huge huge part of coaching people is that they buy into your ideas 100%. 

What would Brian Clough have thought?  The bloke so many here worship.

What if this had been Fawaz? 

£20m seems to have bought a few players and a lot of fans

Just thought I'd add to my post...

I'm not saying that Nixon hasn't stirred the story. He's a journalists. Anytime anybody ever says anything less than positive about someone it's "unleashed a scathing attack". 

It doesn't matter what was said. It doesn't matter. What matters is that Clement should be big enough and strong enough to do it by himself.

Have any of you ever coached? (serious question, not mocking). You spend ages trying to get kids (adults if you are succesful or crap) to listen. Over and over again. Installing good habits and drilling out bad habits. They're 'your lads'. Now imagine somebody coming in and giving your talk? Would you honestly not mind? They're 'your lads'. They play for you and any that play for themselves soon find a way out the team. So even if somebody comes in to reinforce what you're saying... It should be an assistant you have with you who has your same philosophy and principals. Otherwise what's the point in them? Any idiot can set cones up. 

The other thing is just the number of people that would and have gone crazy over meddling chairman. 

It really doesn't matter what Nixon said happened.  It's irrelevant. The point is these are Clement's players. His staff. It's his job to control them. His job depends on them and him. Let him do it. 

I don't like the attitude of "I've bought a ticket so i'll do what I want" and "he's put in £££ so he can do what he wants.

I've bought a ticket to the cinema. Is it ok to sit they farting? There's ways of doing things. Paying £30 for a ticket doesn't mean you can behave like a **** unless you actually are a ****. Paying road tax doesn't mean you can be a cnut on the road. 

£20m or not. Nixon stirring or not. I prefer a man who let's people do their jobs. Which is what he said he does. He said that at Moor Farm. That he wants the background. 

I'll bow out now. That's my opinion and just hope it might give others something to think about. If you disagree then that's cool. Don't go all aggressive like folk do on these kind of threads. 

14 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

Paul Clement has apparently confirmed that Mel did go into the dressing room but didn't rant.

I think that we can deduce that Nixon has a source close to the club. He seemed a bit off early in the summer, but has recently been back to form. Maybe one of the summer signings has a bit of a loose tongue?

As I've said time and time again, he comes across as someone who has some source in the club, but not something high up or in group handling transfers directly. He's pretty good at calling coaching changes, as well as more minor signings (i.e. loan signings, nominal signings and youth deals etc.), but for the big money moves and such he appears to be wide of the mark quite often. 

For the record I do think it's inappropriate for the chairman to go into the dressing room after a game for anything beyond a huge celebration. It's the manager's job to deal with the team after a match, particularly picking them up from an awful performance. Chairmen meddling directly with the manager and players almost always ends in tears, and if this is all true, and season goes to pot after this I know where I'll put the blame. 

Mel is in such an enviable position. How many of us would love to be the owner of the club we support? How many of us would love to have complete power and complete control? All of us would, I'm sure. Right up until we lost at home to MK Dons, at least. :lol:

Mel has that control. Mel has that power. And now I imagine he is starting to realise the true scale of the task at hand and the genuine burden of being sole owner of the club, carrying the hopes, dreams and demands of 40,000 other Rams fans on his shoulders and his shoulders alone.

I remember when he was first introduced as owner and he gave a press conference laying out his approach to the role and his vision for the future. It was all very florid and well-measured but it didn't come across as believable or tangible.

When it comes to Derby County, he is a fan, first and foremost. He may yet prove to be a wonderful owner. But he is a fan. £2,000 suits, grand designs and enunciation will not mask that. Spending £6 million on Bradley Johnson will certainly not mask that!

He is a fan and it was only a matter of time before those instincts took over. It's difficult to be sensible. It's difficult to be withdrawn. It's difficult to be patient. It's difficult to rein yourself in. You're a fan and you're consumed by such passion, emotion, devotion and of course, dreams.

He is living the dream and in essence, this is his very own fantasy football team. So the manner in which he has conducted himself and overseen club matters - including the alleged dressing room rant - doesn't really surprise me.

You can spend £100 million transforming the canteen at the training ground. But some things will never change, where our club is concerned. Good times are short-lived. If there's a chance something can go wrong, it will. If there's a hard way and an easy way to do things, we'll choose the easy way and do our utmost to make it hard. And above all, if there's a reason to be dissatisfied, our fans are sure to sniff it out like a painfully competent police hound. So is it a surprise Mel voiced his dissatisfaction?

"We drew 1-1. If Clement had started Bryson, it would have been 36-1!"

That's the Derby way.

Move along, nothing to see here. :lol:

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

If Paul Clement can't be trusted to get the best out the players then sack him.

If Mel Morris has to go in there and do it himself then Clement isn't the man for the job.

Clement reports to Mel. Players to Clement.

Completely undermined him.

Like I said, completely different when it's Fawaz and Cellino. 

All going to end in tears

How do you know Mel undermined PC ? My take on it is Mel went in and reminded them he brought who he considers the best man for the job and he didn't think some players were doing it for him and possibly suggested it might be in everybody's interest if they pulled their finger out.

I'm grateful for MM's contribution to the club but chairmen/owners come and they go, I'm no Mel Morris sycophant but I believe he had every right to tear a strip off who he thought wasn't putting a shift in.

It's all hearsay, we'll never know what was said but I honestly believe if Mel said anything it was in support of his manager.

I've no idea what Mel said at Moor Farm etc, but he seems to be a bit of a control freak into everything. He is up front not back of house. He clearly enjoys giving interviews and hosting forums, and he is well intentioned. But at times the obsession; the Derby way; the video-this-video-that mentality goes too far and becomes suffocating.

Let managers manage. 

Keep out of the dressing room.

It was a poor performance but we've seen much worse.

And it was still a point. 

Next.

17 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

How do you know Mel undermined PC ? My take on it is Mel went in and reminded them he brought who he considers the best man for the job and he didn't think some players were doing it for him and possibly suggested it might be in everybody's interest if they pulled their finger out.

I'm grateful for MM's contribution to the club but chairmen/owners come and they go, I'm no Mel Morris sycophant but I believe he had every right to tear a strip off who he thought wasn't putting a shift in.

It's all hearsay, we'll never know what was said but I honestly believe if Mel said anything it was in support of his manager.

I just don't think it's his place. The players should be playing for Clement and/or his staff. There may be some players that don't bond with Clement but then it will be a member of staff that they communicate with better. There will be players that don't like the current management team and will probably be asking agents about any interest. Then there'll be players who feel they're playing their best ever football for Clement and want him to be pleased by their impact. 

But none will play. for Mel Morris. Clement works for Mel and if Mel wants to show what's not acceptable than it should be to the management team. The management team know every inch of the build up to the game. They'll know personal issues, level of fitness, any niggles, anyone low on confidence, anyone distracted, anyone who needs an arm around them and anyone who needs ignoring/bollocking (whatever Clement's style).

They don't care what he's spent. They care about their careers, time on the pitch and their contract. They don't care about the same things Mel cares about. They want the best for the club because it elevates them and their mates. Winning is fun. But I'm fairly sure that something is wrong if they listen to Mel more than Paul and his team. 

It's just not the place for a chairman. The football is for the coaches. If you're not happy with their product then tell them. Don't skip the line and go to players. You don't know their motivations. 

People accept criticism off people they expect it from. When it comes from another direction it's not often as welcome.

I do feel it undermines Clement. Because why is his displeasure not enough. Why does he need reinforcing. If they won't listen to the coaches then the player wants selling or if there's too many then the coach wants sacking.

Honestly believe if this was Fawaz and Forest we'd be tearing into them. "Dougie can't do his own team talks?" and "Fawaz will be employing himself next"

A Chairman going into the dressing room. It's not the way to do things. I doubt very few managers would accept it. They expect team matters to be under their complete authority. They run the football side.  It's what they do. All will say "My players". Sort of like parenting. You want them to make you proud. You protect them. And if they fook about then you show them another side. Nobody needs to come in and do owt for you.

Not a very big deal is it ? He's gone in to remind them to play the "Derby way". and i'd suggest that if Reading had not put on the Brian clough - like display they put on to contrast so dramatically with how we played, he would have not gone in. He shouldn't be disqualified from talking to them as he's not just the sole owner, he's Derby County's number 1 fan.  All he ended doing was reinforcing PCs message anyway. 

All honesty I do think we are bottlers because the fans seem to know it and the players. We can't brake free from the past. Clement hit the nail on the head when he said the players and fans were nervous.

We just know what's going to happen. On Saturday we're either going to play really well all is forgotten and we're not bottlers any more and the crowd actually find their voice. The other way we don't sing and support the players and get on their back and eventually start booing etc then season goes down hill.

IMO we just play to deep the amount of times we get the ball in advanced position their is no options available so go back or sideways. We need players to run with the ball then the midfielders to bomb into the box all season we never get anyone front post we'd have so many goals if someone actually ******* gambled!!!! 

Archived