Millwall (A) - Match Thread

Crewton

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Not sure what’s so hard to understand? We were significantly second best, but fluked the lead through some dreadful goalkeeping. We didn’t deserve to be in the lead, but we were, and we threw it away

I've frequently been a bit irritated by the match day threads as for some people they are their only way of following the game. When people are exaggerating it's really hard to know what the reality is...  you suggested they were levels above us first half. Any sensible poster would have seem the reality was they had a period of pressure in a game with few chances.

For saying you basically said we were relegated before the season kicked off, we are now midtable and you're fuming because a calamitous error cost us all 3 points away at one of the most hostile grounds in the league.

Possibly you would concede you are prone to flitting from one extreme to another??

Cashin was the stand out in a resolute defence.  Wilson was our best outlet going forward from defence, and Zetterstrom looks very steady.

Adams worked his socks off but gave a few cheap fouls away. Jackson and Harness didn't hold the ball up and all round a scrappy game. 

Will take the positives and move on.

PG WODEHOUSE from the directors box .
I had scarcely stepped into the lion’s den, if I may call it that, when I found myself flanked by a pair of minders. Not the beefy Terry McCann variety one associates with hard-boiled thrillers, but a chap in the mold of Lord Worplesdon, who, according to local law-enforcer Stilton Cheesewright, had the unique talent of making Steeple Bumpleigh feel like a hotbed of imminent disaster, and Gussie Fink-Nottle, whose newly-acquired girth was such that one feared for the structural integrity of any furniture in his immediate vicinity.

Our adventure began with stout and winkles, the kind of sustenance that prepares a man for the worst, followed by pie and liquor, the latter dished up with the sort of solemnity that suggested it had, at some point, been prescribed by Harley Street physicians for fortifying purposes. The Directors’ box itself was populated by what can only be described as Neanderthal types—hulking figures reminiscent of Terry Hurlock in his prime—though, mercifully, Mrs Clowes, with her impeccable floral hat and air of grace, lent the scene a touch of gentility.

As for the game, we hadn’t been seated long before I was dealt a blow most deucedly unpleasant, seeing the name “Stuart Attwell” leap out from the programme. It was the kind of thing to make a man’s knees give way, and indeed I experienced a brief faintness, only regaining my composure by focusing on the comforts of pie and stout. The affair had all the makings of a goalless draw, until Jerry Yates, a fellow with a penchant for the dramatic, soared skyward at the far post like a young eagle eager to make his mark, nodding in with aplomb to tally his first for Derby.

Millwall, not to be outdone, responded with a devilish equaliser, owing largely to the normally reliable Nelson who, instead of sending the ball into row Z—as any chap worth his salt would—opted to dally with disaster, letting it fall to the opposition. And so it ended, a satisfactory point away from home, the sort of outcome that allows one to walk away with one’s chin still at a reasonable altitude.

However, there remains the unfortunate business of Derby’s final third, which at present lacks the verve and bite that only a solid No. 9 can provide. Young CBT, presented with an excellent chance, managed to bungle it, thereby underscoring the pressing need for a transfer window acquisition. In short, a forward of the highest calibre is required—preferably one who knows which side of the net is which!

I thought we were poor on the ball today, but I think even Ebou was stretched trying to cope with the sheer volume of shithouses on the pitch and I'd include the ref and linos in that group.

Feels like we've had some really rough calls this season, but all we can do is keep putting in a shift, keep accumulating points and perhaps once we have the imposing form of David Ozoh back to help out in midfield, we'll see a more composed team effort. As others have said, with that level of officiating, it could have been far worse.

COYR

Back in the pub after the game, just listening to some Stone Island wearing knuckle draggers saying how their team absolutely battered ours , yeah right , yes not a pretty game , never thought it would be, but our lads dug in well against the 14 men of Millwall , hope I never have to witness a game refereed by that idiot again , onto Oxford on Tuesday where hopefully another point or three can come home with us COYR

I'm going to ignore:  

• Reports of an all-round poor team performance, undeserving of victory.
  • My pre-match prediction (from the heart) of an away win.
  • The name of the referee, and any reference to his inabilities today, or any any other.
  • The erroneous feeling of defeat, despite the resulting single point gained (as is common when a late lead ends in a draw).

I'm shall, however, celebrate:

• Our first non-defeat on the road this season.
  • The fact I neither watched the game, nor sat through 90mins of running commo from BBC Radio Derby.
  • Being in the top half of the division, at checkpoint 1 (First 10 games).

Today is seemingly a good day.
Hoorah.
🍻

Shocking performance, no skill, no heart, sack the manager as we should be in the auto spots etc etc. 

What is wrong with some of the posters on this thread.

We've just got our first away point of the season. 

We're sitting in 12th after 10 games

We have 5 games coming up against opponents that we should be looking to take points off, all bar Oxford currently below us in the league.

Yes, we want to play better

Yes, we want to aspire to top 6, promotion in due course. 

But please get some perspective. COYR

I'm more than happy with an away point. At the beginning of the season my hope was that we could maintain a mid table position, play some reasonable football and take a few scalps. We are 5 points below the play off zone and 5 points above third bottom. We seem to have bought reasonably well over the summer, and have players that might grow into the team more. That will do nicely, thank you Mr Clowes.

13 minutes ago, TaahnRam said:

Shocking performance, no skill, no heart, sack the manager as we should be in the auto spots etc etc. ....

Yes, we want to play better

Yes, we want to aspire to top 6, promotion in due course. 

But please get some perspective. COYR

How? The stats I've seen quoted on this thread and comments on our playing style by some posters, liken us to Millwall. Where do you think we are heading in our aspirations then?

Edited by RoyMac5

Another lesson for us at this level. You need to be so sharp defensively for the whole 90 minutes and it only takes one mistake or lapse however small to undo 80+ minutes of hard work.

It stings to have dug in, battled hard, got the break we wanted, only to shoot ourselves in the foot with the avoidable equaliser. We’ve dropped four points now in five away games from promising positions, which would have left us on the cusp of the top six had we held on.

In a way, I guess that if we are disappointed only to be 12th and comfortably clear of the bottom 3 and there is a nagging feeling that we could have had more over the past 10 games, that suggests to me we are progressing very well.

OK, we didn’t play well in a poor, attritional game but it will look like a really solid point if we negotiate the Oxford and Hull games well and pick up another 4-6 points on the way.

Here’s hoping we come back firing v Oxford. We are bound to have off days. We just have to bounce back quickly.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How? The stats I've seen quoted on this thread and comments on our playing style by some posters, liken us to Millwall. Where do you think we are heading in our aspirations then?

I can't speak for other people's aspirations on here but I think mine and the clubs seem quite well aligned. Stay up this season, mid table would be excellent.

Not sure what you're getting at with the likening to Millwall? Presumably you're suggesting we shouldnt be playing like that and think we should be like Man City?

Personally, I think that's what we miss sometimes, particularly away from home.

15 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Another lesson for us at this level. You need to be so sharp defensively for the whole 90 minutes and it only takes one mistake or lapse however small to undo 80+ minutes of hard work.

It stings to have dug in, battled hard, got the break we wanted, only to shoot ourselves in the foot with the avoidable equaliser. We’ve dropped four points now in five away games from promising positions, which would have left us on the cusp of the top six had we held on.

In a way, I guess that if we are disappointed only to be 12th and comfortably clear of the bottom 3 and there is a nagging feeling that we could have had more over the past 10 games, that suggests to me we are progressing very well.

OK, we didn’t play well in a poor, attritional game but it will look like a really solid point if we negotiate the Oxford and Hull games well and pick up another 4-6 points on the way.

Here’s hoping we come back firing v Oxford. We are bound to have off days. We just have to bounce back quickly.

Bounce back from a point away from home? 

5 minutes ago, TaahnRam said:

I can't speak for other people's aspirations on here but I think mine and the clubs seem quite well aligned. Stay up this season, mid table would be excellent.

Not sure what you're getting at with the likening to Millwall? Presumably you're suggesting we shouldnt be playing like that and think we should be like Man City?

Personally, I think that's what we miss sometimes, particularly away from home.

I said posters were likening us, stats and playing style-wise, to Millwall. I made no comment, but I asked what your aspirations were when you were making your comments about some fans making 'derisory' comments.

You said:

33 minutes ago, TaahnRam said:

What is wrong with some of the posters on this thread.

We've just got our first away point of the season. 

Maybe some posters disagree with you?