QPR (H) - Matchday Thread

1 hour ago, Sufferingfool said:

I surmise that it may be that he feels wanted, even loved, here and understands his role in the squad and on the pitch. A lot of recognition needs to go to PW and his team for this, due to the team culture they have developed. Watching this team you feel front to back they are playing for each other as much as for themselves. They may not be the best players out there but they don’t half work hard at trying to be ‘the best version of themselves’ to quote Warne, and Ebou  is the epitome of this nearly every game I’ve seen him play.

Loved his little skippy dance to harness after 2nd goal

Thought it was a little one-paced first half. We were too slow on the ball, telegraphed passed to full backs and just didn’t seem to inject pace when we did open up some space. Slightly cautious when it was a game we were favourites to win and knowing we’d just lost 3? Maybe, could also feel that in the crowd. 

Good news is though, we stepped up the intensity second half. We pushed forward onto them 10 yards and got after it. A 2 minute blitz is really all it took. 

Do need to get some of the injured players back. Ozoh is the obvious miss, his sheer presence changes things and alongside Kenzo is someone who can be calm and keep it ticking. 

NML seems to be struggling with the lack of space he’s afforded against better opponents this season. Might be worth using him off the bench for a little bit. He seriously worries me every time the ball is played to his feet when he’s facing our own goal, he must lose it 5 times a game in that fashion with horrific first touches or bad first time lay offs. 

Got off the slide in a game we needed to win, so all credit. 4 out the next 5 away, and against teams we need to learn to get some points away from pride park from. 

10 minutes ago, Srg said:

Thought it was a little one-paced first half. We were too slow on the ball, telegraphed passed to full backs and just didn’t seem to inject pace when we did open up some space. Slightly cautious when it was a game we were favourites to win and knowing we’d just lost 3? Maybe, could also feel that in the crowd. 

Good news is though, we stepped up the intensity second half. We pushed forward onto them 10 yards and got after it. A 2 minute blitz is really all it took. 

Do need to get some of the injured players back. Ozoh is the obvious miss, his sheer presence changes things and alongside Kenzo is someone who can be calm and keep it ticking. 

NML seems to be struggling with the lack of space he’s afforded against better opponents this season. Might be worth using him off the bench for a little bit. He seriously worries me every time the ball is played to his feet when he’s facing our own goal, he must lose it 5 times a game in that fashion with horrific first touches or bad first time lay offs. 

Got off the slide in a game we needed to win, so all credit. 4 out the next 5 away, and against teams we need to learn to get some points away from pride park from. 

I think at home, we can afford to start with Wilson at RB. 

Nyambe is a good defender and should certainly start away from home and against the top teams, but he’s very limited in attack.

Jackson looked very timid yesterday and barely took his man on. His cross for the second was great but followed an unchallenged run.

You’re right about NML. He has the touch of a centre half. CBT looks the better player but I don’t think he fits the team ethic. 

Harness looks a good addition and may be the one who takes the left wing slot when Ozoh returns.

Great that we can win 2-0 and see potential improvements.

15 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Nyambe is a good defender and should certainly start away from home and against the top teams, but he’s very limited in attack.

Jackson looked very timid yesterday and barely took his man on. His cross for the second was great but followed an unchallenged run.

You’re right about NML. He has the touch of a centre half. CBT looks the better player but I don’t think he fits the team ethic. 

Harness looks a good addition and may be the one who takes the left wing slot when Ozoh returns.

I agree with most of what you say, but I would start with Nyambe every match. He just gives me security that we are not going to ship goals from his side of the pitch. His winger didn’t get a kick yesterday and he looked very dangerous last week. I agree he his limited when going forward but prefer the security he gives. If we don’t concede, we don’t lose. Even when we have a corner I think we are secure and last season we gave away a few goals from counter attacks from corners. When we do give him the ball out wide, it tends to be very narrow and gives him few options, so more often than not he ends up passing the ball back to Nelson.

There has been quite a bit of criticism about Zetterstrom’s kicking. I don’t think it is the fact that he can’t kick, quite the opposite. I don’t think I’ve seen any one who can kick it as far. It is that he has to reign back and he hasn’t quite adjusted yet. Whether the pitch at his previous club was bigger I don’t  know, but I think the problem with occasionally kicking the ball out with fade away with practice. He more than makes up this deficiency with his total game.

Enjoyed it mostly yesterday. As another poster said, too one paced first half and I think there was a little pressure needing to win this one.

Great goals but I sort of wish we’d gone for the jugular after the second as they and their fans were clearly deflated. However, our subs gave them the impetus to try and get one back as we were happy with what we had. I’m not sure that’s going to always work against teams who maybe carry more of a threat up front (even though we still had a couple of good chances). I thought it was perfect for the introduction of Brown. I don’t really know in what situation he’s gonna get minutes 

We are a totally different beast with Wilson  playing he offers such a threat going forward  , I'd be tempted to play him in front of Nyambe so he doesn't have to worry so much about going the other way.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Edited by Kooklaram
See qoute above

I enjoyed the game. I thought we grew well into the game and in the first half we were building our possession and moving the ball well and still showed more threat than QPR.

I felt quietly confident at half time and in the second half was loving listening to the South Stand with other parts of the ground joining in, whilst looking around our wonderful Pride Park, with another great attendance thinking how lucky we all are, to be fans of this fantastic club.

We knocked QPR to the floor with two quick goals and they created a few desperate chances late on but we were in control of the game and our fans loved singing QPRs predictable chant back at them. I smiled like many others around me in the East Stand Upper and the afternoon was brilliant, just like the morning and evening was in the company of brilliant fellow Rams fans. 

We even said hello to Callum Elder later on who enjoyed the game like we did and so many others that love this club.

🖤 Derby County 🖤

I think the selection is right and I'd stick with it.   For me Wilson is an attacking player not a full back and he's competing with the likes of Jackson for a start.   I actually wonder if Wilson could play centrally in a 10 position as he looks the best close control dribbler in the squad - given Chiwera has come on a few times in that role and not really impressed  

Wasn't impressed with QPR - didn't look to carry much of a threat until we made the substitutions.  

29 minutes ago, Kooklaram said:

We are a totally different beast with Wilson  playing he offers such a threat going forward  , I'd be tempted to play him in front of Nyambe so he doesn't have to worry so much about going the other way.

It’s interesting the various comments about Nyambe, home / away and choices. For me it’s about team understanding. In the first half He and Jackson weren’t on the same wavelength. Either Nyambe pass or Jacko’s run were too slow and considered so the opportunity was lost. Nyambe would pass to a static Jacko, or Jacko would run and Nyambe’s pass didn’t come. 

PS .. wasn’t Fozzy excellent. How many crosses did he stop and how many directed headers did he win. Fine performance, still got it ! 

14 minutes ago, jono said:

It’s interesting the various comments about Nyambe, home / away and choices. For me it’s about team understanding. In the first half He and Jackson weren’t on the same wavelength. Either Nyambe pass or Jacko’s run were too slow and considered so the opportunity was lost. Nyambe would pass to a static Jacko, or Jacko would run and Nyambe’s pass didn’t come. 

PS .. wasn’t Fozzy excellent. How many crosses did he stop and how many directed headers did he win. Fine performance, still got it ! 

Ryan’s a fantastic defender but often hesitant running forwards with the ball, or in advance positions with it at his feet. The hesitation means Jackson and Kenzo come closer to offer an option, compressing the space and slowing attacks down. He has pace so I’m not sure if he doesn’t trust himself to beat a man and get a cross in, or he’s being told not to?

P.s. Foz was majestic yesterday! 👑

Edited by DiggerB

4 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

Ryan’s a fantastic defender but often hesitant running forwards with the ball, or in advance positions with it at his feet. The hesitation means Jackson and Kenzo come closer to offer an option, compressing the space and slowing attacks down. He has pace so I’m not sure if he doesn’t trust himself to beat a man and get a cross in, or he’s being told not to?

P.s. Foz was majestic yesterday! 👑

You’re right he is. I remember they had a break down left in the first half, voice behind me says “he’s done him” but Ryan’s tenacity and strength to get stuck in and literally force the attacker off the ball was brilliant. The hesitancy running forward is an odd one (and true) Odd because he’s good with his feet, has reasonable pace, strength by the bucket load and can pass / cross very comfortably. As you say .. self belief or team instructions ? 

I think that Wilson and Kenzo would combine to devastating effect down the right or centrally were they to play together regularly. We saw a bit of that yesterday, they played some really clever stuff between them right under where I was sitting and tied their players in knots. Remember how Clough had Coutts and Brayford develop that relationship. I think those two could do that but even better  

2 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

I agree with most of what you say, but I would start with Nyambe every match. He just gives me security that we are not going to ship goals from his side of the pitch. His winger didn’t get a kick yesterday and he looked very dangerous last week. I agree he his limited when going forward but prefer the security he gives. If we don’t concede, we don’t lose. Even when we have a corner I think we are secure and last season we gave away a few goals from counter attacks from corners. When we do give him the ball out wide, it tends to be very narrow and gives him few options, so more often than not he ends up passing the ball back to Nelson.

There has been quite a bit of criticism about Zetterstrom’s kicking. I don’t think it is the fact that he can’t kick, quite the opposite. I don’t think I’ve seen any one who can kick it as far. It is that he has to reign back and he hasn’t quite adjusted yet. Whether the pitch at his previous club was bigger I don’t  know, but I think the problem with occasionally kicking the ball out with fade away with practice. He more than makes up this deficiency with his total game.

No one is suggesting Zetterstrom can’t kick the ball a long way but, his accuracy (at the moment) isn’t great. And it’s not just “occasionally kicking the ball out”, it’s fairly frequent. BUT, if that’s all we’ve got to “criticise” him about then happy days. I can live with it.

Edited by Tamworthram

27 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I think that Wilson and Kenzo would combine to devastating effect down the right or centrally were they to play together regularly. We saw a bit of that yesterday, they played some really clever stuff between them right under where I was sitting and tied their players in knots. Remember how Clough had Coutts and Brayford develop that relationship. I think those two could do that but even better  

Take it you're west upper or Sw corner. Yes they seemed to really be clicking

Great game yesterday, and good to see us sat in mid table going into the break, with several players coming back from injury too, and hopefully more to come from CBT and others. I'd like to think we can maintain a top half position and take a few scalps this season, and look to develop the squad further with a few out and in next summer. Stability is good 😁

18 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

No one is suggesting Zetterstrom can’t kick the ball a long way but, his accuracy (at the moment) isn’t great. And it’s not just “occasionally kicking the ball out”, it’s fairly frequent. BUT, if that’s all we’ve got to “criticise” him about then happy days. I can live with it.

The analogy is with golf …. It is more difficult (I think) to hit a half or 75% shot than a full one. You have to change your technique. He will get there.

I think the other problem is we play very close to the touch line, leaving very little room for error. I don’t think he is any worse than Wildsmith or Vickers in terms of how many times he finds touch.

Zetterstrom 8.5   ..2 x Shiltonesque saves at critical times, kicking improved but still work to do. 

Fozzie 9....rolled back the years would have been more if he hadnt blazed that shot wide expect better from his quality

Nelson 9... was rock solid and that header WOW! seen weaker shots

Cashin 8 ....improved and solid still some wayward passing

Nyambe 8  tower at RB, needs to work out how to play with Jacko too many things wasted

Kenzo 10 ......seldom I give the 10 but he was superb yesterday, tenacious tackling, wonderful distribution. We will not hold him at the transfer windows some body with deep pockets will whisk him away sadly.

Harness 9.....super performance, great half turns, turned their defence time and again creating openings. Spectacular first touch for his goal

Ebou 9......Tiger tiger burning bright, was everywhere getting a foot in 

NML 8 .......Good first half but faded 

Jackson 8 .......pace to spare and some nice touches  needs to get a goal again to revive his confidence in front of the net

Yates  9....Ran his lungs out, has amazing close control .such a shame his header was saved just needs goals for the complete performance

Wilson was the best of the subs, his dribbling is a joy to watch in these days of sideways passing

Overall we were too strong for a weakened QPR. If we can keep putting these 8 and above individual performances, could we be on for a play off flirting 🫣