Sunderland (A) - Match thread

Eoghan1884

6 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Fortunately, we're still 13th, having played some good sides, particularly away, and having been on the end of poor decisions in the last 2 games. There are some very clear areas for improvement, particularly in passing at key moments, cutting out mistakes and keeping a good shape with and without the ball.

I didn't expect anything from Sunderland, but I sense a general feeling that defeat could have been avoided.

Re: passing its not just that our radar has been off. The pace that some of them are fired in at often give very little chance to the receiver. Whatever happened to giving the kind of pass you’d like to get from you mate?

I feared we might take a few batterings this season, so actually so far I feel reassured that we have generally held our own against sides that will be hoping to finish in and around the top six. Obviously there are things to improve on, but no reason why we can't do this and start to get some points on the road. Plenty of time yet. 

34 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Serious work needed on the training ground to improve our passing and creativity in open play. Yates has also been very isolated in these two games, so we need to tweak our system to get him involved again - either play him in a 2 (but with who?), or get someone like Harness playing behind him.

I think we'll stay up if we get through to January outside of the bottom 3 (16 games). A couple of forward options (CF and winger), plus cover for Ozoh will be important.

Saying that, only 1 game out of our next 10 is against top half opposition, so we'll be in a good place to judge our true standing in the league after that run. 

Dajun Brown?

JWZ

Wilson                    Nelson                  Cashin                 Forsyth 

Adams           

Goudmijn                                           Harness

Jackson                                 Yates                               CBT

Assumes Phillips isn’t fit. Line-up would be suspect in defence but hopefully more capable of keeping the ball and creating chances.

Thought Warne was bang on with his post match. Not trying to pull the wool over anyone’s eyes. 

As with Sheffield United I thought we missed a massive opportunity tonight. We had a lot of play, 8 corners lots of shots their keeper had to make more saves than Zetterstrom. We were well in the game but not at any single point after Bellinghams opener did you think Derby were going to get out of it. Really careless and naive on the ball and poor decisions in the final third. Chirewa main culprit yet he nearly got an equaliser with some excellent skill. Zetterstrom didn’t help with his distribution, Kane was often careless and while I felt for Yates he needs to do better at times. We need to get Goudmijn further forward and we’re missing Ozoh badly. Set piece delivery from Osborn and then Mendez was woeful.

We were better after the subs had more of the game and put them under more pressure but again were careless with the final ball. Don’t know what is up with Mendez but he’s been poor so far and was poor again when he came on. Again although he himself made a couple of poor decisions the brightest spark was CBT and he has start on Saturday. 

I think some of the comments are an overreaction. I’ve seen enough so far to think we’ll achieve our ultimate goal of staying in the league but we’re nowhere near being dark horses for top 6, we just don’t have the firepower the likes of Sunderland Norwich Sheff U Watford Blackburn Boro (all teams we’ve played) right now. But tonight im frustrated as while I didn’t expect anything, with how the game went we should’ve got something and missed an opportunity in my eyes. My concern is we’ll rock up at the likes of Millwall Plymouth Oxford and Pompey and they will play better than Sunderland did tonight. We’ve got to find a way to be more ruthless in both boxes get back to limiting opportunities, get more of a platform in midfield by keeping the ball better and get our creators like Goudmijn and Harness in areas to cause more problems.

Still 13th and still 4 points off bottom 3, there’s plenty to be positive about but lots of improvement needed and I’m pleased the management also think the same.

The issue we have is that we are conceding an average of 2 goals every away league game so even if our attack was really potent we'd still need to be scoring 3 to win a game.

Which unfortunately it is far from. 

I was banging on about our home form artificially giving us a leg up before the Norwich game and that we couldn't be expected to win every home game but the poor away form was just adding pressure to this and here we are.

We've got to start getting clean sheets in away games as an urgency now cos I can't see our sterility in attacking changing any time soon. 

37 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That often happens, no bloody good after the fact is it!

I liked that he wasn’t on about “fine margins”. He was talking about keeping the ball, waiting for opportunities, things that I have wanted in our play for a long time. He said he was infuriated with little attempts at first time flicks whereas he wanted the players to take one or two touches or “receive the contact”. This is a different message to when we were in League 1. I think he recognises we really need to progress to be more comfortable with the ball but we aren’t near that yet, especially away from home. As Bramcote says above, I’m pleased he acknowledges that there is work to be done by himself and his staff in terms of coaching. In terms of effort, having watched the likes of Man U last weekend, I think he’s got the team spirit and work ethic right. 

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

Dunno why I bother watching us away from home. Every game goes the same way, have a lively opening 5-10 minutes creating a few half opportunities. Then let the home side grow into the game then make a silly error to give them a goal. Can't get back into the game because we're crap from open play, especially when teams sit back. Finally after about 75 minutes, start to actually attack again and create a few decent chances but do nothing with them. Something's got to change.

I guess if you don't like surprises then it's reassuring to know in advance how every away game is going to end up....

28 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

Re: passing its not just that our radar has been off. The pace that some of them are fired in at often give very little chance to the receiver. Whatever happened to giving the kind of pass you’d like to get from you mate?

I agree - I've noticed that quite a bit. So many chances lost/given to the oppo's by poorly weighted or poorly directed passes. If they could improve that aspect, we'd create and score more and concede less. 

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

It's worth noting that so far 6 of our opposition are currently in the top half (5 of the top 8), and 2 are in the bottom half. I know it's still early days so teams can jump or fall a few places in one game, but 4 of our next 6 games are against bottom half opposition. Unfortunately we only have 2 home games in that time, so if we can start picking up some points away from home we'll be absolutely fine.

I like your positivity as it's the yin to my yang being quite a glass half empty person but it's a big if that you've raised and something needs to radically change. 

It's the consistent manner of the defeats that concerns me, not the standard of the opposition which does little to mitigate this as in my humble opinion the defeats have nothing to do with the oppositions quality but more to do with our frailities and self inflicted mistakes which define the outcomes. 

If we get up to 25 points (so 16 more) from the next 10 matches which does include a run of fewer teams aiming for play offs then I think we have a real chance of staying up. 

If after the next 8-10 matches we’re not nearing our halfway point for our total needed then I’ll be very concerned. 

20 minutes ago, chewbacca said:

Annoying thing is...despite being sloppy at times we had enough chances to take something from the game...Harness, Chirewa, Cashin/goal mouth scramble, the Jackson through ball...JWZ was virtually a spectator second half. 3 points Saturday would be the perfect tonic.

Their keeper was busier than Zetterstrom. He made a decent save from Chirewa and a top save from Cash, as well as how he charged out at Jackson when Kane put him through. 

9 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Absolutely, they won’t.

We need to start turning moments of promise into results away from home. The next four to five away games should present the perfect opportunity to show what we can do.

I am as positive as they come and fully back Warne in what he’s trying to achieve but if we can’t go to Millwall, Stoke, Preston and Oxford in the coming weeks and pick up some results, then we are going to find ourselves in a world of trouble and massive alarm bells would be ringing.

I am not expecting four wins or anything dramatic. It’s about taking small steps. Even four hard fought draws would show some forward movement, especially if it is backed up with a good run of results at home.

We just have to stop the rot away from home. The longer it goes on, the more it will eat away at the players, the staff and honestly even the fans will start to lose enthusiasm. We don’t want the feel good factor to slip away.

Ah the glory days of 2010 when going to places like Brighton (before they were any good) hoping for a fighting narrow defeat.