Norwich City (H) Matchday thread

jono

13 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

My take on today. 

Thought we did ok and created the better chances. 

Yes we give the ball away too easily but a lot of the time that's just Warne's style of getting it forward quickly - not a criticism it's just not a style that generates great possession stats - I don't worry too much now if we aren't dominating the ball. 

Didn't think NML played as poorly as some are saying - as good as Yates and Jackson for me. 

Yes we miss Ozoh because neither Osbourn or Adams drive with it like he does. 

Cashin really gave everything to try and get us back into it.

Really wish we'd kept Fornah now.  

Bit of a bad luck with the officiating but I guess it made it exciting for the neutral - and the Norwich fans.  No point stressing over it.

Problem with NML the first goal came from a heavy touch and the lack of desire to get the ball back was evident. Goudmijn and Osborn lost the ball in similar areas and killed themselves to at least but their body in the way. When it leads to a goal, it’s emphasised.

This won't be the only home loss and despite the poor officiating we didn't really look convincing enough to gain all 3 pts. So a draw could have been considered a point gained.

Osborn wasn't great and NML not on his game at all. Still obvious that we need another striker, but we are where we are. Bringing Collins on was an odd choice, but Chirewa and CBT did OK and perhaps should start next game. If Cashin has many more games like today, the vultures will be back.

Probably a reality check in terms of where we are;  a decent team with a fair few vulnerabilities. 

3 minutes ago, Crewton said:

It looked pathetic. It wasn't like they waited a couple of minutes, it was like the starters gun had been fired. If the goal had been disallowed they'd have looked even dafter.

You might think that's how you support your team, but I don't. The players didn't deserve that reaction, as the minutes that followed it proved.

I think you make an interesting point, but I suspect that for most, the performative piece was likely directed at the officials, not the players. I guess from the players' perspectives, that might be pretty hard to discern though, so if that is indeed how they took it, that's a bit unfortunate. Especially so when I think most would agree that today and this season in general, the lads have given their all and in some ways, surpassed our expectations. Most seem to see that and it'd be rubbish if the players thought otherwise 😔 It's a shame in any case, as it was a decent enough game of football with two fairly well-matched sides and another match we really did not deserve to lose.

Sunderland away will provide an even sterner examination of both Warne and the team's credentials and character, so I hope the fans remain as staunch as they've been to date. To try to wrestle back a little more control in the centre of the park, I'd be reverting to the Ozoh set up with Chirewa taking over the role alongside Kenzo and Ebou. For me, Fozzy would be the very obvious call to continue as Elder's replacement at LB. At this juncture, a point would be a very fine thing, but once again, perhaps the performance matters as much as any possible result?

A hard result to take then, but take it we must and thankfully the games come thick and fast, so not too long for us to dwell anyway. I think we'll be fine in time and with another unrestricted transfer window behind us.

COYR

1 hour ago, McArthur Park said:

Absolutely loved the bonkers last ten  minutes or so, with Jacob trying to get Warne's attention to see if he could go forward, then when he did get up there, playing the ball around like he was absolutely loving  not being a goalie for a few minutes! Priceless!

Yes,amazing,it's what makes football special!

10 hours ago, Crewton said:

I'd love to know what those thousands who stormed out as soon as Norwich scored their third goal thought their performative gesture would look like.

As far as I'm concerned, you can stay away. It was nauseating.

Must admit, I shot down the stairs at the final whistle, and felt guilty for not staying to applaud them off, as I have habitually done for the past couple of seasons, but truth is, I really should have nipped to the loo around the 70 minute mark, but was fearful of missing something important on the pitch, so I held out!

If I'd have stayed behind, I'd have been applauding them whilst stood in a puddle, and not one of the players (or Warne) deserves that!  😲

9 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I am not too hung up on the refereeing decisions. They were poor, but ultimately some go for you and some go against you.

But most of those are based on opinion/interpretation.
Yesterday's weren't "poor"... they were plain wrong... based on fact!

You can kind of understand (but maybe not forgive) the lino's decision for the non-corner in the run up to their breakaway goal, as he has goalpost in his line of sight.  There is no excuse for not seeing the ball fully over the line before their first goal.

13 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

I think the interpretation is...player in front of the keepers eyeline and the ball, With as you say the ball going in a diagonal pathway away from the keeper I think it negates the offside 😬

But there maybe someone who's more into the rudiments of officialdom than myself 🤷‍♂️ 

But I do know if the ball goes out of play then it's a dead ball 👍

All I know is none of their players complained about our second goal, including their goalie 🤷‍♀️

11 minutes ago, SaffyRam said:

All I know is none of their players complained about our second goal, including their goalie 🤷‍♀️

Good point.

... And let's face it, they could have done (understandably), if only to have used up more valuable seconds for them, (as they're still a goal up) as we all know wouldn't have been fully added back on, at the end.

10 hours ago, europia said:

This won't be the only home loss and despite the poor officiating we didn't really look convincing enough to gain all 3 pts. So a draw could have been considered a point gained.

Osborn wasn't great and NML not on his game at all. Still obvious that we need another striker, but we are where we are. Bringing Collins on was an odd choice, but Chirewa and CBT did OK and perhaps should start next game. If Cashin has many more games like today, the vultures will be back.

Probably a reality check in terms of where we are;  a decent team with a fair few vulnerabilities. 

I was also surprised when Collo came on but he put himself about, drew the free kick on the edge of the box that Kenzo narrowly missed. He is now a squad player but for me he contributed well as was undoubtedly useful. 

You’re right though, we’ve got some rough edges but it’s pleasing our style is evolving. Result apart that was a good watch.

10 hours ago, europia said:

Without the dodgy goals, Derby would have won 2-1. That is without considering all the other dodgy decisions which went against us, such as we should have been playing against 10 men for all but 10 minutes of the match.

15 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I wonder what we would be like with a real centre forward carrying a goal scoring threat 

Think this is harsh. Any striker in our current set up would be struggling. He’s basically there to link things up and make space for the others and he’s done that job admirably so far. He’s very skilful. 

11 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Problem with NML the first goal came from a heavy touch and the lack of desire to get the ball back was evident. Goudmijn and Osborn lost the ball in similar areas and killed themselves to at least but their body in the way. When it leads to a goal, it’s emphasised.

I don’t think it’s lack of desire I just think he can’t do it anymore. He’s good for a sprint in 1 direction but if he’s got to quickly change to run back he just doesn’t look like he can do it. It’s been an issue all season I think. 

I was also annoyed at how much protection the ref afforded the keepers at corners. Jackson stood his ground and a foul was given on the keeper. I can understand if he’s nudged him whilst he’s in the air or has jumped into him but he’s under no obligation to move out of the way for the keeper to come. 

11 hours ago, europia said:

I agree we didn’t look convincing enough to have “deserved” to win but I thought a draw would have been a fair result rather just a point gained. 

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

I was also annoyed at how much protection the ref afforded the keepers at corners. Jackson stood his ground and a foul was given on the keeper. I can understand if he’s nudged him whilst he’s in the air or has jumped into him but he’s under no obligation to move out of the way for the keeper to come. 

Corners (in general, not just Derby’s) are really beginning to annoy me now. If the ref delays the kick to speak to players wrestling in the box, you can almost guarantee that when the corner is eventually taken he will give a free kick to the team defending. He seems oblivious to any of the shenanigans from the defenders. Maybe because the consequences are much more significant.

I really don’t know what the answer is to eliminate this crazy element of the game.

42 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Without the dodgy goals, Derby would have won 2-1. That is without considering all the other dodgy decisions which went against us, such as we should have been playing against 10 men for all but 10 minutes of the match.

It’s not as simple as that though is it? The game might have panned out differently had their first goal not been given. 

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree we didn’t look convincing enough to have “deserved” to win but I thought a draw would have been a fair result rather just a point gained. 

What does "deserved" to win  and "fair result"  mean here? There could have been no complaints if without the dodgy missed "out of play" events we had won. Perhaps you mean that Norwich had better goal chances but there is more to the game than that. The only compensation we have is that with the squad Warne has put together and our style of play this season  there is so much to enjoy even when losing (unfairly).

25 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

A free kick given for the keeper for a nudge by Jackson , but no pen given when Jackson bundled over in the area ? If one is a foul why not the other I’m sure there is nothing in the rules that say contact with the keeper is different to outfield players ?