or 

‘ You can’t polish a turd’ 

or 

‘You can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig’

or

’You can’t make a silk purse out of a Sow’s ear’

I’m sure there are many others,,,,,,,,,,,,, 🐏🤗

42 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I just fail to see why you're calling him out simply because he didn't try to force a move elsewhere. He strikes me as a true professional that will always do all he can to contribute. Maybe he will be a bench warmer (who knows) but, as such, he still as a role to play even if it is only because other players ahead of him are not available as you highlight.

I suspect it may become rare that he starts games but if he comes off the bench and makes an impact (positive I hope 😀) then I don't think he's stealing a living.

I agree.

The last player I'd accuse of stealing a wage is Collins. Maximum effort is pretty much guaranteed.

Is he good enough for the Champ? Possibly not.

However, we could have had Haaland up top last night and it wouldn't have made much difference. For all the talk about getting a better striker in, we have to find ways to get the ball to said striker, whether that's tactics and/or better ball retention.

Collins likes to be involved so goes hunting the ball, which means he's often not in the box......whereas a striker like Haaland is happy to do nothing all game except score 2 goals......... but last night Dajaune didn't go hunting for the ball and, according to Whoscored, he had 7 touches, with one completed pass and no shots or headers, in 35 mins on the pitch. Against Barrow. I don't think that's his fault.

Edited by Ian Buxton's Bat
typo

30 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It's not enough to say 'move on' - we can do that when a situation is resolved. Which it clearly isn't. 

By 'move on' I meant more of a sentiment along the lines of 'that specific game was an absolute s*** show, but there's nothing we can do about that now'. Put it right on Saturday. Absolutely not 'It doesn't matter'. Hope that's clearer.

51 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

The problem is the result has now heaped pressure on against Bristol. We need at least a good draw with some gusto to get some motivation and spirit back into the fanbase. It's going to be a long hard season and we've got to strap ourselves in and get used to it unfortunately. The performance last night stunk and we can't afford to play that way against better teams. But we've gone from quite a defensive set up to then needing to be on the front foot... it's hardly going to be that effective or free-flowing.  We've scored in every league game so far so I'm not so worried about going forward. My bigger concern is the defence which really does need a lot of work in my book. 

We have scored but we haven’t created a single decent opportunity of our own doing.  I’d throw in the cup games as well to that as well as Chesterfield home was a stunner and a goal mouth struggle.

If we attack more and have the ball more, for another 10 minutes say per game that relieves the pressure on the defence.

However, our attacking play even if we had the ball leaves a lot to be desired.

28 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I can only echo what has already been said. I had my head in my hands watching the ineptitude of the players. I was actually shocked at some of it. The passing, tackling and being available for a pass were absolutely awful. The standard of play served up was simply not acceptable. As some have said that was down there with some of the worst performances we have ever seen. I blame the players and the management equally.

I feel so sorry for Dave Clowes as he saved the club by spending a huge amount of his family wealth and no doubt is as desperate as the the rest of us to see success. Football however is a ruthless business and he has to have, if he hasnt already, some frank conversations with the management team. Was the planned investment this seson enough? Were the management team happy with said budget? If the management were happy with the budget how were they seemingly so wrong? Why are players rejecting us if they are rejecting us, is it more than budget? DC cannot contemplate going down again, simple as that! If our budget is league 1 however thats eventually where we will end up. As I say, I feel so sorry for Dave Clowes.

It’s probably all about what they are being paid but it might also be that we play a horrible brand of football while everyone else seems to be passing the ball around in an entertaining way? Only they could say but Warne does have a reputation and we knew it before and when he signed with us and under his stewardship our younger talented footballers have left as they don’t view the future in a positive way here after doing their best in horrible circumstances. With Warne constantly saying how good the opposition are wouldn’t you want to play for the opponent? 

4 minutes ago, rammieib said:

We have scored but we haven’t created a single decent opportunity of our own doing.  I’d throw in the cup games as well to that as well as Chesterfield home was a stunner and a goal mouth struggle.

If we attack more and have the ball more, for another 10 minutes say per game that relieves the pressure on the defence.

All true, the way we are going we might as well play Bradley at centre forward because he will stay there and give defenders problems 

There were only three positives last night for me;

1) They had a lovely bar overlooking the pitch that we stayed in until 5 minutes before kick off.

2) I had an excellent sausage roll and steak pie at very reasonable cost and portion size.

3) The heavy rain stopped for the match with us being sat in the rain susceptible 2nd hand Commonwealth Games stand.

14 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

All true, the way we are going we might as well play Bradley at centre forward because he will stay there and give defenders problems 

Joking aside , that could be the answer . Cashin pumping the ball up front and Yates getting the knock downs . Even that is better than creating nothing . 

43 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

I agree.

The last player I'd accuse of stealing a wage is Collins. Maximum effort is pretty much guaranteed.

However, we could have had Haaland up top last night and it wouldn't have made much difference. For all the talk about getting a better striker in, we have to find ways to get the ball to said striker, whether that's tactics and/or better ball retention.

Collins likes to be involved so goes hunting the ball, which means he's often not in the box......whereas a striker like Haaland is happy to do nothing all game except score 2 goals......... but last night Dajaune didn't go hunting for the ball and, according to Whoscored, he had 7 touches, with one completed pass and no shots or headers, in 35 mins on the pitch. Against Barrow. I don't think that's his fault.

Look at the service Yates got at Watford, he never stood a chance of scoring a goal. Could play all day and still never the ball at his feet in the box.

2 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Look at the service Yates got at Watford, he never stood a chance of scoring a goal. Could play all day and still never the ball at his feet in the box.

Yates touch map against Watford:

image.png.9abb11b6820b9d5a54ccf66e8fb4feec.png

I can't believe I have to actually say this, but we were attacking the goal on the left.  He had one touch in their box in 83 minutes of football, and that was offside.  And only 3 other touches beyond the centre circle.  You could put prime Brazilian Ronaldo in this team and he wouldn't do anything.

15 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I can't believe I have to actually say this, but we were attacking the goal on the left.  He had one touch in their box in 83 minutes of football, and that was offside.  And only 3 other touches beyond the centre circle.  You could put prime Brazilian Ronaldo in this team and he wouldn't do anything.

By god that is criminal to have your centre forwards heat map. He’s never going to get more touches in there box when we have 28% possession 

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

You obviously weren't at Blackburn then. Like I'm fine with serious criticism but this is simply hyperbole. I think even against Middlesbrough when we did get forward we looked threatening and caused them issues before we scored. We didn't do that often but Warne himself said this wouldn't be a template for the season. I do think we need to be a bit more adventurous against Bristol but from the 2 league games I've seen I'm not so concerned right now. 

In the league we've played 3 really good teams two of which are in the top 3 right now. If we play like we did against Middlesbrough against teams 14th and 15th in the table then we'll be in big trouble. For what it's worth I don't think we will. 

1 hour ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

I agree.

Can’t fault him for effort. But most of us would run around for £10k a week . Collins is 34 this year and isn’t going to get faster or more clinical over night . He bagged 3 goals in his last Championship season . So who thought he was going to make an impression this season ? ( still appreciate what he did last season ) 

21 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Collins vs Barrow

image.png.14d64a673c9d2b7b7d7333ca9f9f7e9a.png

Thompson was our only midfielder to touch the ball in the box (once), with only three starters had more touches in the box (Collins, Barkhuizen and Forsyth with 2 each).

Mendez-Laing had 6 and Jackson had 4.

14 hours ago, Papahet said:

what's tonights excuse then PW fan club?

No. Excuse ,,,, we were very very poor that’s on manager and players , 

here’s the thing , it’s not about what style we choose to play ,it’s about being very good at whatever way we (the manager) decide s to play , we could turn up every week and play the style that the Warne bashers want and be poor / inconsistent because let’s face it if the players struggle to complete single passes with any degree of competence then they ain’t gonna string 20 in a row together,

I don’t care what style any derby manager wants to play as long as we get bloody good at it and get results , so far in the main we / warne have got the results needed to get us back to the championship, if he doesn’t get his team getting results that realistically match our budget then I will be hoping for a change of manager but not because he doesn’t play the way I think football should be played or the style I prefer🤷🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Collins vs Barrow

image.png.14d64a673c9d2b7b7d7333ca9f9f7e9a.png

Thompson was our only midfielder to touch the ball in the box (once), with only three starters had more touches in the box (Collins, Barkhuizen and Forsyth with 2 each).

Mendez-Laing had 6 and Jackson had 4.

Yeah, they're basically all like that.  The only one that looks anything like a half-decent centre forward performance is Brown against Chesterfield:

image.png.dd155ed424db29879c5cd4d7ce66cdbd.png

46 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Listening on the radio we seemed shapeless and lacking a plan. On highlights it reaffirmed this view and a powder puff attack wasted its chances . We are struggling 

Sounds like the radio commentary flattered us. 😀