Barrow (A) - Match Thread

Sean

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

Serves you all right for watching a third round EFL cup tie, we all have one precious life on this earth and if you chose to watch Barrow v Derby you’ll get no sympathy from me.

Some of you need to learn how to support this club appropriately, I listened to the pens on Rams TV and even that was too generous.

You are wise beyond your years youth...

23 minutes ago, Day said:

It is a big but. How many times have you seen Championship sides knocked out by lower opposition in the early rounds?

Literally every season it happens, look at Boro getting smashed 5 nil by Stoke tonight, is their game against Cardiff a write off? 

It’s the cup, crazy s*** happens.

Yeh s—t happens but 4 nil to Chesterfield and 2-1 to Shrewsbury, this wasn’t a shock 😳 

35 minutes ago, Day said:

Ok, first off wasn't able to watch. Finished work late, fancied a drink at the pub after, didn't feel compelled to rush home as it wasn't a league game.

It's an embarrassing result when you see the lineup, no getting away from that. 

If the performance was equally embarrassing I feel for all those Derby fans that made the trek tonight.

But, and it is a big but. In the grand scheme of things, this game and competition is nowhere near the top of the list.

Yes we want to win every game possible, it can help build confidence, momentum and there are financial rewards to be had the further you go into it, however realistically it was a competition we were never going to even get close to winning.

Our priority this season is clear, staying in the Championship, it's that simple.

Let's also be honest for a second, had we smashed Barrow 5-0 tonight, how much would you take away from that? I'm sure there would be a few, well it was only League 2 Barrow, let's not get carried away type comments.

I think that should also apply tonight after being knocked out, let's not get carried away, this isn't front page sporting headlines, Forest fans will be looking on and taking the piss, as we would them.

It's a just a bit of a disappointment, missed an opportunity to add some cash in the bank with a glamour tie. Disappointments will be the norm this season which we should be mentally preparing ourselves for,  this ain't going to be a 28 game winning season again.

This time next month, Barrow away will be long forgotten.

Even if you hadn't said it, I think it would be clear from your post that you didn't watch the game.

Yes, it's a competition we were never going to win and I don't think anyone will lose too much sleep over the fact that we're out but, the performance was so poor that it's hard for even the most positive amongst us to just shrug it off.

A decent performance and a win on Saturday then yes, this grim display will soon be forgotten but, that won't be the case if we fail to put up much of showing against Bristol.

☹️

58 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The reaction from this performance is very emotional from a lot of people. It does little to suggest to me that we are all in this together, unfortunately the biggest takeaway is that atmosphere at the club this season seems like it’s inevitably going to be loud and toxic. 

It does remind me of the euphoria at the end of last season in Sean Dyche keeping Everton up, to a few games later the players getting verbally abused after the Spurs game as they were walking to their train.

The turnaround is shocking. 

I really hope it doesn't come to this at our club.

Reading some of the comments even from some of the more extreme supporters on the forum tonight has actually disturbed me. 

41 minutes ago, Day said:

Ok, first off wasn't able to watch. Finished work late, fancied a drink at the pub after, didn't feel compelled to rush home as it wasn't a league game.

It's an embarrassing result when you see the lineup, no getting away from that. 

If the performance was equally embarrassing I feel for all those Derby fans that made the trek tonight.

But, and it is a big but. In the grand scheme of things, this game and competition is nowhere near the top of the list.

Yes we want to win every game possible, it can help build confidence, momentum and there are financial rewards to be had the further you go into it, however realistically it was a competition we were never going to even get close to winning.

Our priority this season is clear, staying in the Championship, it's that simple.

Let's also be honest for a second, had we smashed Barrow 5-0 tonight, how much would you take away from that? I'm sure there would be a few, well it was only League 2 Barrow, let's not get carried away type comments.

I think that should also apply tonight after being knocked out, let's not get carried away, this isn't front page sporting headlines, Forest fans will be looking on and taking the piss, as we would them.

It's a just a bit of a disappointment, missed an opportunity to add some cash in the bank with a glamour tie. Disappointments will be the norm this season which we should be mentally preparing ourselves for,  this ain't going to be a 28 game winning season again.

This time next month, Barrow away will be long forgotten.

In a sense you make a good point. But in the position we are in right now, tonight's match was a great opportunity to give the best team time to play together, a chance to give players a chance to prove themselves, DJ Brown in particular. He has shown well in the chances he has been given (in the form of crumbs dropped off the banqueting table), plus we can't sign strikers for love nor money, so we keep the one in form on the bench for two matches after his only start resulted in Brown making an assist. WE had the chance to work on shape and tactics. Binning Tommo when he needs a run of games, especially after a man of the match performance he got dropped for the next match, and doing the same for Goudjmijn when he is the only player who looks like he can unlock defences. It is only the "Nobody Cares Cup", but we could have made use of it to strengthen our approach to League matches, but chose to throw that chance away. 

49 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Yes agreed. I didn't help myself. 

Whether someone wants to put me on ignore or not is their prerogative but please don't convey that to the wider audience as though people are actually interested to score points, just do it. Is really presumptuous that anyone gives a flying. 

The game yes less said about that the better.

I did generate a post earlier trying to derive some positives out of tonight but it really was bottom of the barrel time.

At least we've got a bottom to our barrel! 

2 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Serves you all right for watching a third round EFL cup tie, we all have one precious life on this earth and if you chose to watch Barrow v Derby you’ll get no sympathy from me.

Some of you need to learn how to support this club appropriately, I listened to the pens on Rams TV and even that was too generous.

Even a half fan would know it was the second round.

4 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Would you take Rowett ? He’s available and local and wins games in the championship but we have left it very late in the transfer window 

No. He isn't a striker and getting on a bit now. (I will get my coat).

Away matches on a Tuesday night, have to feel sorry for the supporters when the team can't get out first gear. Barrow is a real stinker of a place to get to and it was quite evident many of the players didn't fancy it. If Barrow sat in all game and Derby tried everything to win with 20+ shots then fair enough, lucky of the draw with penalties. First half was embarrassing, not using our experience and quality to control the game. Second half we could have got the goal with much better decision making.

Hopefully some more fresh faces in a couple of days will make this squad more competitive in depth. There's a number of players which are not good enough and can't stay fit. Warne has great self awareness and vast majority of us are crossing fingers we can get quality through the door.

8 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

With a team that could have been several points clear at the top  with matches to play, but ended up limping up on the last day of the season. And there is only one reason for that - the same reason we lot tonight.

I don't think we limped up, we were consistent in the second half of the season in many ways. Last night was embarrassing, I agree, my point was the attention span of some fans is 90 minutes at the most.