Vs Watford (A) Match Thread

DCFC1388

Really not a game I expected us to win but always a little annoying when we get ourselves into a decent position. We aren't going to win every game, and we're going to have to deal with defeat a lot this season and put it behind us. So far I'm actually encouraged that we've competed against decent sides, who I expect will challenge for play offs.

Generally feeling quietly confident that we'll be relatively comfortable in lower mid table come the end of the season. Home form going to be the thing that delivers it IMO, think we'll struggle away.

54 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

They are. We still need a target man to hold up play and bring that lot into the game. Also a No10 with attacking intent, Kenzo is a deeper lying midfielder. I would also like to see an additional coach with more ideas on patterns of play in the attacking third.

Shouldn't he be in the dugout?🤔

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Watford first goal looked offside to me at the match .

I think it was offside after watching highlights 

Interesting.  couldn’t judge from the highlights but were you level in the stadium ?

cant help admiring the strike tho 

I thought we deserved a draw.  We’ve obviously learnt from the Blackburn game as being too open there cost us.  They scored a cracking goal to equalise and for their second the ball could have dropped anywhere.  You can’t fault JWZ for either goal and I thought he did OK.

Given Watfords start and the fact it’s their best scoring start to a season for over 40years I thought we set up about right.  If we’d have been more open and higher up the pitch we’d have been exposed.

We obviously need a bit more in the attacking areas and it’s clear PW and everyone is working hard to get those players in this week.

Maybe I look at things too positive but I really don’t get the negativity.  3 games, against good opposition, 2 away games and 3 points and 15th position.  That’s decent while we find our feet.  Nothing is won or lost now.  At one point last season we were 11th.  Players will still come in, and other than Blackburn we’ve set up well to deal with the opposition.  A bit more luck we’d have drawn yesterday.

12 hours ago, Magicman said:

NML not played well so far this season. Jackson is the best we have upfront.

NML has done ok in the games I watched and worth bearing in mind the opponents have had two men on him because they know he’s our main threat and he’s been made captain for some reason. 

9 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Only 8 players on the bench...

The man has zero interest in the youth at this club, none whatsoever. Whether they played the previous night or not.

A lot of players get a bonus for being selected to sit on the bench as well as a bonus for getting on the pitch and another bonus for a positive result - good work if you can get it on top of your wages but yes a great chance for some match day experience for a youngster.

23 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Only 8 players on the bench...

The man has zero interest in the youth at this club, none whatsoever. Whether they played the previous night or not.

Dajaune Brown wasn’t involved in the academy games and was on the bench. He started the game against Chesterfield.

Yes there’s an argument that Warne could be better at bringing the current crop of academy players into the first team. But getting worked up about him not bringing one along yesterday when they will have been involved either with the U21s until fairly late Friday night once the match finished and they’d warmed down, showered and changed or with the u18s who played in Newcastle yesterday afternoon so may well have been in the North East Friday evening or travelling early yesterday just seems like a thinly veiled rant against the man himself.

You could easily argue not letting them play a competitive game against their own age group in favour of sitting on the first team bench would be hindering their development. Or not allowing them any rest and recovery after Friday night’s game would be detrimental to their welfare. How likely is it for Warne to have subbed them on yesterday if he had included a youth player? I’d say not very, so what’s the benefit of them being there beyond a bit of the match day experience? 

11 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Couldn't the manager have given brown 10 mins as a wild card when we were chasing the game?

Didn't watch the game so don't know if we were building pressure in any case but just for something a bit unexpected?

Arguably, yes. I’d have put Brown on instead of Collins. We were chasing an equaliser so Brown’s pace and movement could have been an asset, Warne went with Collins instead. 

Just reading through comments on the BBC sport article about the match and Watford fans on the whole saying they think we should be OK this season. Nice to see an outside perspective.

Slightly more cocnerned about thia comment:

I'm so glad that Watford were able to silence Derby after their fans were singing homophobic chants about Elton John. Let's hope they receive a fine from the football league.

It does seem to be the only comment of its type so hopefully might not be accurate. I wasn't there, just wondered if anyone that was could shed any light? 

Hope its not a section of our fans acting like t**** and gaining a bad rep for what is our generally well-regarded fanbase

35 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Arguably, yes. I’d have put Brown on instead of Collins. We were chasing an equaliser so Brown’s pace and movement could have been an asset, Warne went with Collins instead. 

Answer was surely both when you need a goal. Is a bit daft that you’re not using him if he’s on the bench in a situation where you need to score. 

26 minutes ago, abertawe_ram said:

Just reading through comments on the BBC sport article about the match and Watford fans on the whole saying they think we should be OK this season. Nice to see an outside perspective.

I'm so glad that Watford were able to silence Derby after their fans were singing homophobic chants about Elton John. Let's hope they receive a fine from the football league.

It does seem to be the only comment of its type so hopefully might not be accurate. I wasn't there, just wondered if anyone that was could shed any light? 

Hope its not a section of our fans acting like t**** and gaining a bad rep for what is our generally well-regarded fanbase

The sex offender chant was being sung, maybe it was that?

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Answer was surely both when you need a goal. Is a bit daft that you’re not using him if he’s on the bench in a situation where you need to score. 

Fair point, a switch to 4-4-2 and going all out would have made some sense, but could have seen us carved up like Blackburn.
Moving forward if Brown is going to remain in the squad rather than going on loan Warne needs to start using him.

28 minutes ago, abertawe_ram said:

It was more than just a handful of fans unfortunately.

29 minutes ago, abertawe_ram said:

They were singing Elton John is a sex offender. It was loud and from the usual section. Say anything and we're told it's acceptable banter. 

It's not. It's offensive and illegal.

The sooner the Club does something about it, the better.

To be honest, our "singers" are dull, repetitive and from all evidence so far this season, not very inventive. 

Ozoh defo could have done better for the Sissoko goal watching back the highlights although still may have scored he was very flat footed and slow to react to the lose ball and that bit of pressure makes it a harder finish for the attacking player. He is abit slow in the mind with his positoning and distribution but not too suprising as we are signing a very inexperienced player.