Vs Chesterfield (H) Match Thread

For me it wasn't a great performance but it wasn't terrible - we did enough to win and deserved it.   The main positive is we've avoided another defeat so hopefully the team can take a bit of confidence. 

I don't think that performance repeated week on week out keeps us up but when you play a lower division team it's very often a case it's not as easy as it "should" be - against better opposition we could easily have looked better

21 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Ironically it doesn't sound like you watched the game, we had more possession before their first goal and right up until our second goal. We didn't press as much after our second, creating a mid-low block which meant Chesterfield were recycling the ball largely unchallenged around their defence.

Luton had 58% possession against Burnley last night, for example. It's situational - some teams put more emphasis on keeping the ball than others, Swansea for example: 919 passes tonight. 94% accuracy. The two centre backs made 281 passes on their own - more than Gillingham made the entire night. It's constantly moving the ball, backwards and sideways, waiting for gaps. They did the same against Boro on Saturday and got beat comfortably, despite having 64% of the ball. Boro missed 5 big chances in the game, Swansea failed to register a shot on target. 

Warne likes the ball to be moved forward at pace, therefore we're never going to be a possession-based side. He likes players to take chances, he likes forward runners and he likes players to play into space. It can come across as less polished, but the ideology behind it is solid - you're always more likely to score against teams when they're unsettled out of possession, recycling the ball backwards and sideways allows them to get into shape and then it becomes a chess match. Ironically, like with Swansea, sometimes the players will keep it so very risk-averse that they can go a match with 4 shots on goal and zero on target because the 'right pass' didn't present itself. 

no it isn't because playing that way always leaves big gaps in midfield. It generally works in league 1 or lower because the opposition doesnt have the quality, but at this level or higher it is not a valid tactic.

28 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I mean it's not a game anyone will remember in a months time. But it's not worth screaming and flailing our arms and legs in a tanty about. It was decent. It's annoying that you feel the need to be so melodramatic about a fine enough performance. 

wheres your ambition?

Have to say I thought Chesterfield were excellent. I've very seldom seen a L2 team pass the ball so sweetly and if they can keep their key performers fit, they will be fighting for the autos come Spring.

As for us, I thought we were much improved compared to last time, though that's a very low bar. Dajaune played pretty well all in all, but I'd still be leaning towards a L1 loan with guaranteed game time until Xmas then reevaluating. Kenzo was a little quieter than normal, Ozoh still looks raw and IMO is trying to force things a little to much, but is the type to improve in leaps and bounds. Jackson showed that he's way more suited to the flanks, which I assume is where he is intended to play. Thommo showed real maturity and courage after dropping a b******. Fozzy looked the most composed and cultured player on the park.

I thought our finishing was again poor tonight, but it was a step forward and as long as we are progressing with each game, I'll be happy enough.

25 minutes ago, R@M said:

You are correct, if they had some Premier League players and maybe a Ronaldo or two we would have been in real trouble. 

if they had championship quality players, i.e the sort we'll be playing against for the next 45 league matches, we would have lost the game.

Well, after watching, I thought it was an OK game. Not as bad, nor as great as some are trying to make out. Just bang average, which is where we are about as a club at the moment IMO. Nothing spectacular, just effective at what we do (i.e set pieces), with the odd moments of quality sprinkled here and there.

That said, too many careless passes, we don’t take care of the ball enough for my liking. Would like to see a big improvement on ball retention, we are incredibly wasteful and tend to lose the ball needlessly in dangerous areas.

But it is improvement, no matter the opposition, and I will take that. Gets the opening day defeat out of the system, and sets us up nicely for Gibson and his smoggies up in the « hills have eyes » country.

Edited by DanS1992

5 minutes ago, DanS1992 said:

Well, after watching, I thought it was an OK game. Not as bad, nor as great as some are trying to make out. Just bang average, which is where we are about as a club at the moment IMO. Nothing spectacular, just effective at what we do (i.e set pieces), with the odd moments of quality sprinkled here and there.

That said, too many careless passes, we don’t take care of the ball enough for my liking. Would like to see a big improvement on ball retention, we are incredibly wasteful and tend to lose the ball needlessly in dangerous areas.

But it is improvement, no matter the opposition, and I will take that. Gets the opening day defeat out of the system, and sets us up nicely for Gibson and his smoggies up in the « hills have eyes » country.

Spot on 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

I looked at the match stats at ht, we were well on top in terms of possession. The possession stats in the second half went in Chesterfield's favour because they seemed to spend most of the second half passing it around deep inside their own half, especially after going behind! I even commented to my friend sitting next to me, that you'd think that they were a goal up in the last few minutes because of the way they were playing.

I would like to think that if we get a home draw, then the south stand will be open as well as the east stand, as I felt that the Derby fans were subdued tonight. Had the south standers been able to be in their normal seats, the Derby vocal support would have been much better and I wonder how many south standers didn't turn up because of having to sit in the east stand rather than being able to stand in their normal place?

1 hour ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Maybe we've had Warne for so long we've forgotten what an actual 'good performance' is. why are we sat back waiting for a League Two team to make a mistake as though that's a tactic. I just long for a performance where we actually impose ourselves on an opposition and don't care how they play. 

Don’t get me wrong, I too can’t stand warne’s tactical style. I would much prefer to play free flowing attacking football and score several goals a game every game.

But there’s no point judging a Paul Warne team on that as that’s not what they’re trying to do. It’s like judging a loaf of bread based on what you think a Victoria sponge cake should be like.

All Derby fans know what Paul Warne instructed the team to do tonight and apart from 1 moment they executed it, nullifying chesterfield’s attack.

4 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I would like to think that if we get a home draw, then the south stand will be open as well as the east stand, as I felt that the Derby fans were subdued tonight. Had the south standers been able to be in their normal seats, the Derby vocal support would have been much better and I wonder how many south standers didn't turn up because of having to sit in the east stand rather than being able to stand in their normal place?

It certainly felt like chesterfield fans were the loudest while watching on tv (I’m away atm, not just being an armchair fan). I think the problem sometimes is that the vocal south standers are too spread out in the east stand to start building up a bit of atmosphere.

Thought we played fairly decent. The commentator I thought was overly doom and gloom. We’d pretty much had all the possession and a series of dangerous crosses before a mistake and goal against the run of play. Night and day be the preseason friendly with them though.

Bit gutted for Daj because he did so much good stuff in hassling the defenders and making more happen then we saw in most pre season and got his chances due to his runs and positioning. First header was a tricky chance, 2nd unlucky to go wide but the third should have tucked away and will kick himself.

Glad cash seemed more his old self. Foz made Elder look like he’d won a competition. Thommo was good other than the mistake. Ozho still a bit disappointing but early days. Kenzo not at his best; a killer first half pass but looked weaker and more wayward tonight. Looked annoyed with himself, but he’s still young too so will make mistakes.

Generally I expected to lose but thought we were decent enough without being stellar.

2 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I'm the only one not being positive for the sake of it. Anyone saying that game was in any way enjoyable to watch is lying. I just want to watch an enjoyable game again. 

I enjoyed it. I enjoyed seeing the new players for the first time live/seeing how they worked together or didnt, I enjoyed seeing Nyambe back, I enjoyed seeing Fozzy being Fozzy, I enjoyed seeing Tommo going from being shaky to finding his feet to scoring a great goal, I enjoyed watching the Chesterfield fans having fun, I enjoyed simple things like how totally chuffed the ball boy was when NML ruffled his hair, I enjoyed the, albeit brief, flashes of how this team could play when they settle, I enjoyed the precious 5 hours there and back in the car with my youngest son, and chatting and laughing with him during the game ahead of him going to Uni, I enjoyed just being back in Pride Park after the summer, and I enjoyed watching and supporting the frustrating team my dad did through thick and thin a couple of weeks after he died. 
I am not being positive for the sake of it, I am not lying but do appreciate that we're on a rebuild and am willing to see where it goes this season and enjoy being at PP for what it is and what it means. Some fans seem to be determined to have a downer on absolutely everything and everyone from the very very start of the season which is their right. But others have the right to be more positive and there really is no need to be quite so derisive of and superior to those who can still enjoy the match and/or match-day generally. Doesnt mean we're wearing rose-tinted glasses or lying and may well be moaning and groaning ourselves if the team doesnt gel, and we're abject with no sign of improvement in in the next 2-3 months but I dont expect to be watching prime Barcelona at this point. 

Ah the Carabao Cup, it’s a weird one.

The attendance last night shows it’s not a cup people particularly care about until it reaches the latter stages.

Yet unless you absolutely humiliate the lower league opposition, in what is the 2nd competitive game of the season, it’s a game that signals we’re in for a tough season.

Especially when you’re not one of the 9 clubs that won on the opening day.

My boring thoughts are this.

It’s too early to predict or panic, players are still reaching competitive match fitness which is not gained during pre season. The window is still open and failing that, we have another just 4 months away.

Last night we got the job done, that’s really all that matters at this stage, we’re into the next round which = more revenue for the club. 

Too early to dwell on a game 2 v League 2 side performance, which for what it’s worth wasn’t bad or good really, it was simply enough. 

All focus now quickly shifts on to Saturday which I’m not feeling particularly optimistic about, thankfully though we have 2 better opportunities to put points on the board games to follow.