How do you greet people?

At primary/junior school in the 80s the greeting of choice was "ay up".  I don't remember anything different at secondary school, maybe we used "hi" more. 

Sixth form at a different school was my first introduction to "alright?".  This took some getting used to, was it a question I was supposed to answer?  Ignoring the question seems rude so I finally settled on saying "alright?" back, preferably timing it so I say my alright at the same time as them.  This is something I still do, I now know who the alrighters are in the village where I live.

Formal settings as an adult brought "how do you do?"  I rarely have to deal with this, but the acceptable thing seems to be just to repeat it back.

I probably most often say "hello" or "morning", the latter seems weird when you write it down.  All I'm expecting is the same back.  Simple.`

On my dog walks I've noticed more and more people are dropping the alright and are going for the full "how are you?".  Even complete strangers who I'll never see again.  You hear it on radio talk shows where the first thing the caller says is "how are you?".  The radio host will then mutter "yeah good", but he/she has to answer this question repeatedly and you can detect the annoyance in their answers.

I'm not going to tell a complete stranger the inner turmoil I feeling, my current health status, etc and I'm guessing they are not expecting me to say those things either, so what is the point?  What am I supposed to say in reply?  Is it just me who can't deal with the question?

I'm an "alright" but the trick is I get in early and leave them to make the decision. 

If somebody does beat me to it (they would have to be a pro greeter. Possibly military trained) then I snap back with "I'm not bad thanks, how are you"

Some continue this duel. Some back down and walk away. Those that are looking to escalate things will find I'm prepared to mention the weather if that's what it takes. 

I’m a simple Hi or Hello greeter. I have a soft voice so this sometimes sounds a bit camp!

I am prepared for an answer other than fine in response if someone wants to share.

I try to avoid ‘not bad’ when asked how I am. That simply means anything from slightly above bad to brilliant.

So unless I really am feeling poorly I go for the more upbeat pretty good or good thanks.

Here's a tip : going into any bar in Ireland, you'll usually be greeted with a cursory "How are ye". It took me a few visits to realise that the correct answer is "How are ye" back, not "not bad thanks, piles are playing up a bit, and breakfast was a bit sh*t this morning, but apart from that, I'm grand. How about yourself?" because by then, they've ignored you and gone to wipe a few tables.

3 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Kisses on the cheek when in France.

A nod in Derby is sufficient.

The trouble is when I get the 2 places mixed up

I can imagine.

Nobody wants to kiss a Frenchman on the arse, but I'm sure they would be ok with it if you give them a pack of Gauloises.

But it's likely to get you killed in Chaddo. 

'Morning' (in work or when out with the dog).

'How's it going?' (to someone I know well).

'Hiya' or 'Alright' (to casual acquaintances).

'Your place or mine' (in a parallel universe to hot women I've never met before).

Komdu sæll og blessaður (come happy and blessed) I sometimes use when enthusiastically greeting a friend.  The shorter blessaður (blessed) I use as a less formal greeting, the tone depending on my intended approach.  Sæll (happy) is the least formal and can range from a friendly or slightly hostile greeting, again depending on tone and facial expression, except when followed by vinur (friend) making it a tender greeting.  Hi hi I use often to greet those I am familiar with and is a friendly, even playful greeting. 

A question may only come after the initial greeting, such as hvað segirðu gott? (What good do you say?) or the shorter Hvað segirðu (what do you say)  Hvernig hefurðu það? (how are you doing?) I use less frequently for it can put a person on the spot.  To all these questions, irrespective of how badly the person is doing, only one answer is permissible, bara allt gott (just all good)

oh for f**** sake

fate farts in my face once more (yes i stole it off blackadder)

hold on, i've re-evaluated my will to continue living

let me just stop you there (and walk away)

Ah, the face that sank a thousand ships

<pained noise>

usually just "Hi" but sometimes "alright"