Poor old commentary team

If we sign any of these foreign players mentioned, they will have to get some practice in getting the names right.

What happened to names like Webster, Davies and Hinton lol?

Oops, I think this is the wrong forum section......I've had a drink lol

Edited by oldtimeram
Addition

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

Pronunciation has little to do with education. I am well-educated but am tone-deaf and have real difficulty picking up pronunciations. 

That's why I excelled in Latin - didn't have to pronounce it, just read and write it! 

"Pronunciation in the English language classroom is more than just 'listen and repeat'

What makes teaching pronunciation different from teaching other parts of the English language?

Pronunciation is more than 'listen and repeat'. Pronunciation includes features of language (vocabulary and grammar) and skills (speaking and listening).

Like vocabulary and grammar, we pronounce by noticing and understanding rules and patterns which lie beneath the surface of speech.

For example, if an English word has two syllables, the stress is usually on the first syllable for nouns and adjectives, and the second syllable for verbs."

Edited by RoyMac5

42 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Goudmijn is just pronounced Hooodmin which isn't too hard for English speakers, I think some of the really long double barrell surnames are more of a pain.

OB is pronouncing it "Howd-mine", so different to your suggestion.

31 minutes ago, Owen87ITK said:

It’s how Kenzo told me to say it, to be fair! 

Obviously Owen is highly talented to be commentating on a match and commenting on here at the same time. Names are no issue! We're lucky to have him.

39 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Obviously Owen is highly talented to be commentating on a match and commenting on here at the same time. Names are no issue! We're lucky to have him.

Who, Owen or Howdmine?

1 hour ago, tomsdubs said:

Everyone will call him Kenzo anyway I imagine.

Bigger question, have I been prnouncing Gouda wrong my whole life?

Yes but don't blame yourself for it. Clearly you've just been influenced by all the cheese puns that get posted on here where they think it's a substitute for 'good'.

As long as you don't pronounce pronunciation as pronounciation we're all good.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

7 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Yes but don't blame yourself for it. Clearly you've just been influenced by all the cheese puns that get posted on here where they think it's a substitute for 'good'.

As long as you don't pronounce pronunciation as pronounciation we're all good.

Gouda heck did that go under the radar!?

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

"Pronunciation in the English language classroom is more than just 'listen and repeat'

What makes teaching pronunciation different from teaching other parts of the English language?

Pronunciation is more than 'listen and repeat'. Pronunciation includes features of language (vocabulary and grammar) and skills (speaking and listening).

Like vocabulary and grammar, we pronounce by noticing and understanding rules and patterns which lie beneath the surface of speech.

For example, if an English word has two syllables, the stress is usually on the first syllable for nouns and adjectives, and the second syllable for verbs."

May I suggest Roy you spend a little time in Tipton in the West Mids, Pronunciation, Latin, Syllables, Language, Nouns, Adjectives and verbs have no use what so ever to the locals.

It's another feckin world I tell ya ☺️