Trump

There are two history-making photos of the attempted assassination that don't seem to have been posted, unless I missed it:

And then from New York Times photographer Doug Mills, a bullet whizzes past Trump's head:

Disappointing after @Day's post to see political points creeping into this thread, that I'd hope could be a historical record of an important event. Of a day that might change the world. 

Edited by Carl Sagan

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Trump fist pumping in front of an American flag.... Makes me feel like drinking bleach. 

People in here scoring political points? Where? 

I saw people pointing out much of the irony of a gun supporting narcissist criminal who incites violence being shot at by an AR15 in the country where there's no place for this kind of violence( in a country where mass shootings are the norm. )

But yeah, enough with the cheap political point scoring. Don't want to offend any opposing views on violence

Edited by Alph

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Alph said:

Trump fist pumping in front of an American flag.... Makes me feel like drinking bleach. 

People in here scoring political points? Where? 

I saw people pointing out much of the irony of a gun supporting narcissist criminal who incites violence being shot at by an AR15 in the country where there's no place for this kind of violence( in a country where mass shootings are the norm. )

But yeah, enough with the cheap political point scoring. Don't want to offend any opposing views on violence

Difficult as it may be to you to believe,  millions of people think he's presidential material and voted him in. You are posting a one-sided narrative that whilst perhaps largely accurate will just deteriorate into opposing ideological sides. Its inevitable if there is not a conscious effort to avoid it.

Edited by Chester40

26 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Disappointing after @Day's post to see political points creeping into this thread, that I'd hope could be a historical record of an important event. Of a day that might change the world. 

Part of documenting history is ascertaining the motives behind the shooting. They aren't to my mind political posts until someone starts arguing over them or making judgements based on them.

It's a fine line to tread.

tbf there's loads of political posts in the 'new jokes' thread, but I presume if something's said as a joke then it counts as satire rather than a political post and isn't against forum rules.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Of a day that might change the world

Genuinely interested to understand why you think this might change the world? In a country where owning a gun seems more "normal" than not owning one, where gun violence is rife, where the former president would like teachers to carry guns, why is anyone even surprised that this event has happened? When you watch the video, people seem so blasé about what's happening, many aren't ducking or running away, they are just trying to get pictures on their  phones like they're at a concert or something. It almost feels inevitable that this might happen, not remarkable. I hope this doesn't sound disrespectful to the person who has lost their life.

It's sadly not unusual for Presidents or Presidential candidates to suffer an assassination attempt. It also doesn't guarantee an electoral victory as Ford and Carter both found out. But this and the resulting picture combined with Biden's health issues does  most likely put Trump in the driving seat for re-election

I don't understand how the security could let this happen. Why was one of the roofs unguarded even though there was a clear line to open the fire? People saw the gunman on the roof minutes before shooting and reported it to the authorities, still nothing was done. How could the snipers from the police miss seeing this guy on a roof? After the shots security made a great target of Trump while taking him away.

I'm no secret service agent but just having gone through the basic training in the army I believe I would have done a better job as coordinating the security. That was awful performance by the security.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

There are two history-making photos of the attempted assassination that don't seem to have been posted, unless I missed it:

And then from New York Times photographer Doug Mills, a bullet whizzes past Trump's head:

It’ll change the world, cos itll help him win the election. Can’t really have one without the other. 

"Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and prayers yesterday, as it was God alone who prevented the unthinkable from happening.

We will fear not, but instead remain resilient in our faith and defiant in the face of wickedness. Our love goes out to the other victims and their families.

We pray for the recovery of those who were wounded, and hold in our hearts the memory of the citizen who was so horribly killed."

I'd have been tempted to lead with the person who actually died, followed by the call to prayer for those wounded.

Glad to see it was God alone that saved Trump and prevented the unthinkable. Just wish God had been clever enough to make sure other people nearby hadn't been killed/maimed.