Sporting Intelligence Unit?

2 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Anything to gain an advantage, however small.

The questions for me would be, who's decided that these appointments are the way forward, and based on how much evidence of success elsewhere? 

That said there's nothing wrong with being an innovator (or an early adopter of innovation) as we were under Jim Smith when he was working with McClaren around the time of the birth of Sports Psychologists - without which a manager like Warne probably wouldn't exist 

I didn't realise Mac played cricket. 😄

2 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Proof of the pudding will be in the eating I guess.

It would be nice though, if a few player signings could be announced alongside these back room appointments, because a football club is defined by results on the pitch ultimately, not the men in suits.

Cough# the EFL and the curly haired one #cough

5 hours ago, R@M said:

Great analysts can turn their hand to any type of data sets and provide insight which may be missing at the moment. The fact we have leading sporting analysts joining us can only be a good thing. 

Exactly. Gathering the data is the easy part, breaking it down and finding patterns is what separates a decent analyst from a leading analyst.

Am very pleased to hear this, as am currently reading 'Football Hackers. The Science and Art of a Data Revolution'. It's heartening that Derby are buying into analytics with the appointments.

My favourite sentence in the book so far is 'it's simply nonsense to suggest that refereeing mistakes even themselves out in the course of a campaign'. I love a bit of confirmation bias.