Transfer rumours

34 minutes ago, crutch18 said:

Youve completely missed what I was saying. When Whittaker made his debut he was the same age as Brown is now. He was Raw and imo didn't look ready the same as Brown doesn't. Not 100% but I'm sure Whittakers youth Team record was superior too that of Browns aswell.

There's absolutely no guarantee that he could make the step up now, the same way we couldn't guarantee Whittaker would step up. That's my point 

Whittaker left over 3 years ago and had one successful since then. Nobody could say what kind of career he would of had with us. 

Also, if Brown is so good, why aren't champ teams trying to loan him not a few league 1 or 2 teams?

No I understood the core of your point completely. You're whole argument can be boiled down to "just because they are good at youth levels doesn't mean they will cut it, therefore it's not a big deal if they are getting game time" and you used Whittaker as an example of that. 

Whittaker who we messed around, mistreated and bombed out. Who with game time at this level with a manager who trusted him developed into a player who could show what he did last season. 

Nobody is saying that Brown should be a first team starter for a championship side but neither is Collins and only one of them has a chance to be in the future if we actually invest in developing them.

1 minute ago, CocuBarmyArmy said:

Would actually take Ravel Morrison controversially, has the technical ability that we lack so badly at that end of the pitch and is only 31, would be a useful squad player

Fits the age bracket but I don’t see him running a lot. 

10 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

No I understood the core of your point completely. You're whole argument can be boiled down to "just because they are good at youth levels doesn't mean they will cut it, therefore it's not a big deal if they are getting game time" and you used Whittaker as an example of that. 

Whittaker who we messed around, mistreated and bombed out. Who with game time at this level with a manager who trusted him developed into a player who could show what he did last season. 

Nobody is saying that Brown should be a first team starter for a championship side but neither is Collins and only one of them has a chance to be in the future if we actually invest in developing them.

We're getting bogged down with discussing potential academy graduates rather than transfer rumours, so I'll make this my last comment.

Yates is clearly ahead of Collins atm and we all know PW would like another striker - which would put Collins as 3rd choice.  IMHO its better to have someone with a bit of knowhow nearing the end of their career as a backup striker than someone at the beginning of their career.

I personally think we extended Collins contract so Brown could go out on loan.  A full season playing every week will do far more for his development than being 3rd choice here.  That imo is actually being invested in developing him.

Edited by maxjam

11 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Or do what we did with Morgan Whittaker and play him too early. Brown isn’t ready IMO but Whittaker is proof that we should take our time and not blood too soon. 

Sadly a major problem with Morgan Whitaker is that we only gave him bit parts out of position. Giving him “bit parts” is fine to introduce him slowly is fine, but playing him out of position and then dumping him for not performing is ridiculous, but it’s what Derby County do. 

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

It was odd though that Russell Martin at Swansea let Whittaker go to Plymouth for the equivalent of a very small profit, even after he'd performed so well on loan there. 

So it wasn't just Rooney who saw things he didn't like, however misguidedly.

He went on loan to Plymouth and did really well and enjoyed the football there and wanted to sign for them and that’s why Swansea ended up selling him. Yesterday it is being reported that Plymouth have turned down a bid from Burnley for him but if he ends up signing for them it’s highly likely that he will be a premiership player next season. You have to give players genuine chances to develop but warne only does that for young players from other clubs that we don’t own.

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

He went on loan to Plymouth and did really well and enjoyed the football there and wanted to sign for them and that’s why Swansea ended up selling him. Yesterday it is being reported that Plymouth have turned down a bid from Burnley for him but if he ends up signing for them it’s highly likely that he will be a premiership player next season. You have to give players genuine chances to develop but warne only does that for young players from other clubs that we don’t own.

Do you think if he had a player as good as Ozoh in the academy he would play Ozoh over him?

1 hour ago, crutch18 said:

Youve completely missed what I was saying. When Whittaker made his debut he was the same age as Brown is now. He was Raw and imo didn't look ready the same as Brown doesn't. Not 100% but I'm sure Whittakers youth Team record was superior too that of Browns aswell.

There's absolutely no guarantee that he could make the step up now, the same way we couldn't guarantee Whittaker would step up. That's my point 

Whittaker left over 3 years ago and had one successful since then. Nobody could say what kind of career he would of had with us. 

Also, if Brown is so good, why aren't champ teams trying to loan him not a few league 1 or 2 teams?

There's NO guarantee. You could have stopped there.

But what did we really have to lose, compared to what we might have gained, by playing him more? By giving him more responsibility? (Of course there's very little service from midfield so I doubt we'd have found out much. 😄 )

11 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Agree you have to give young players a chance to develop for sure but only when they reach a certian level of ability. That is always subjective unless the player is truely outstanding for their age, like Wayne Rooney for a standout example. I would argue that Brown is not yet at the required level to enter championship football. He needs a loan in league 1 or 2 and needs to shine at that level.

3 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Reality is, we’re not going to create hat fulls of chances this season.  Therefore, he need to be really ruthless, every miss becomes more crucial and may affect his confidence.  Go on loan to a team that will be challenging at the top end of L1/L2 where he’ll get more chances, more likely to score, the misses don’t become important, he doesn’t linger on them as they become a distant memory and his confidence grows.

1 hour ago, crutch18 said:

There's absolutely no guarantee that he could make the step up now, 

If this is attitude you take toward integrating your academy players into the first team, you will never integrate your academy.players into the first team.

7 minutes ago, Thameram said:

Can we get back to transfer rumours not youth players past or present who might be the next Messi 

Yep, any more news on that chappie that league 2 Bradford don’t play and don’t want….

22 minutes ago, Topram said:

Think our business will be done right on 11pm tomorrow when other clubs get there business done, as likely we’ll be picking from bottom of the pile 

I think we are down to signing bodies rather than signing quality.

I can see Paul ringing anyone and everyone tomorrow and asking "what you got available" and 2 nights in Bognor is about all he will get.

47 minutes ago, maxjam said:

We're getting bogged down with discussing potential academy graduates rather than transfer rumours, so I'll make this my last comment.

Yates is clearly ahead of Collins atm and we all know PW would like another striker - which would put Collins as 3rd choice.  IMHO its better to have someone with a bit of knowhow nearing the end of their career as a backup striker than someone at the beginning of their career.

I personally think we extended Collins contract so Brown could go out on loan.  A full season playing every week will do far more for his development than being 3rd choice here.  That imo is actually being invested in developing him.

Or a club could have their two main CFs (let's call them Rooney and Berbatov). As 3rd choice, you can then have a talented youngster making a step up in the league for the first time (Javier Hernandez). Then the experienced pro coming on late in games to give something different (Owen).

For us, that would be a new signings and Yates, Brown, then Collins.