UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

England can definitely still go all the way though. Playing well isn't necessary to win a tournament. 

It was pretty toss today. Southgate is infuriating that he thinks two defensive midfielders are needed to protect CB's against the super power of Denmark where it's not unreasonable to expect you will have more of the ball than against Spain or Germany. 

But even in 2 games littered with errors and what England fans would call poor they still have 4 points. They can get better. I'm not sure you could ever rule out a team containing such good players. Even if that time is managed by someone you don't rate. 

England's problems are glaringly obvious and in some ways that's a blessing. It's not like the defence is shocking or they have a striker that's a donkey. 

France get the same criticisms in France, I'm sure? The French feel they don't play as well as they should. But they're not a team you particularly want to meet. They have match winners and so do England. 

It seems unlikely that England will win it. A couple of top sides have come in good shape. You'd hope Southgate and Co reflect on the two games and have open conversations about this just not being good enough. But in reality it's going to be good enough to get through. Probably get through with 7 points! It's not over just yet!

17 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

If Southgate was the manager of Man City they would finish about 10th in the league.

Couldn't argue with that. Safety first. I like him as a person, he does tend to put his players at ease - and for the most part that ease manifests itself in playing unfazed and unpressured against lesser sides in qualifying for major tournaments. But to WIN a major tournament takes tactical nouse.  He hasn't got that, sadly.

6 minutes ago, Alph said:

England can definitely still go all the way though. Playing well isn't necessary to win a tournament. 

It was pretty toss today. Southgate is infuriating that he thinks two defensive midfielders are needed to protect CB's against the super power of Denmark where it's not unreasonable to expect you will have more of the ball than against Spain or Germany. 

But even in 2 games littered with errors and what England fans would call poor they still have 4 points. They can get better. I'm not sure you could ever rule out a team containing such good players. Even if that time is managed by someone you don't rate. 

England's problems are glaringly obvious and in some ways that's a blessing. It's not like the defence is shocking or they have a striker that's a donkey. 

France get the same criticisms in France, I'm sure? The French feel they don't play as well as they should. But they're not a team you particularly want to meet. They have match winners and so do England. 

It seems unlikely that England will win it. A couple of top sides have come in good shape. You'd hope Southgate and Co reflect on the two games and have open conversations about this just not being good enough. But in reality it's going to be good enough to It's not overget through. Probably get through with 7 points! It's not over just yet!

It's not over certainly and our squad would perform well against most top sides in the world. It seems as though our standard of player will get us so far, but to kick on from that seems to be above his tactical ability.

Could only watch 30min highlights of the England game but it seemed like a lot of errors..

Was surprised that Southgate went with the same starting 11 but despite criticism of Trent some of the balls he played (at least in the highlights) seemed to show in part why he was there.

Denmark's goal comes from a thoughtless ball played to nowhere. The triple sub seemed to come from desperation.

It's all about getting through the groups then we can worry about the quality of play.

Watkins did well when came on I know not the in tactic to play 2 strikers but maybe try it might work kane and Watkins foden Bellingham and saka doesn't work surely he can see that at least if england are shocking again tues the unveiling of new derby shirt Wednesday will heal all 

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Denmark do have players in their team from Spurs, Man Utd, Barcelona, Sporting Lisbon, AC Milan and Roma.   Perhaps their just not as crap as people assumed. 

In isolation a point against Denmark is fair. But take in to consideration the Serbia match and the 4/5 matches before the tournament and it’s a bleak picture. 

The players have always been 100% behind Southgate. But they don’t look to be playing for him IMO. Either that or tactically we’re so shot they don’t have a clue what to do.

England look like a team frightened to express themselves.

There’s so little movement, especially compared to their club performances. Rice was awful, and he and TAA were static in midfield. That, and Stones’ failure to step forward meant England had no momentum. 

Watkins for Kane at least put pressure on their defence, but Kane (if he’s fit) should start for us. We just need to gamble and get more players around him. The blend isn’t right. Foden and Bellingham like to give and go and play nice football with the midfield but ours is too far back. Saka likes to beat his man but with only Kane for company, struggles to find an outlet for his skills.

Walker has been disappointing and Trippier is out of position, which doesn’t help Foden at all.

The players are good enough, but it looks like Southgate is still trying to work his team out mid-tournament. What the hell are friendlies for? Oh yeah,money.

11 hours ago, WharfedaleRam said:

Is it really just me who can't give a toss whether England win, lose or draw?!

I'm never going to dress up as a crusader Knight, paint my face with the cross of Saint George or have a tattoo of a bulldog on my arm but I am unashamedly quite patriotic. I want every England team, regardless of gender or age group, to win every game they play whether that's in football, rugby, hockey, cricket or tiddlywinks. 

The thing is though that when it comes to the men's football team I've resigned myself to the fact that, generally speaking and despite all the hype, they're not very good, they're not particularly entertaining and they usually seem to lose as soon as they come against one of the "good" teams.

I look forward to every tournament, more in hope than expectation, that this time it will be different even if we start badly. 

I'm saddened to say that, for most games (obviously it's different for the later stages of a tournament), I don't get too upset if I can't watch the game for any reason. In my younger days, I've attended a handful of England games but I doubt I ever would again. ☹️

25 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

England look like a team frightened to express themselves.

There’s so little movement, especially compared to their club performances. Rice was awful, and he and TAA were static in midfield. That, and Stones’ failure to step forward meant England had no momentum. 

Watkins for Kane at least put pressure on their defence, but Kane (if he’s fit) should start for us. We just need to gamble and get more players around him. The blend isn’t right. Foden and Bellingham like to give and go and play nice football with the midfield but ours is too far back. Saka likes to beat his man but with only Kane for company, struggles to find an outlet for his skills.

Walker has been disappointing and Trippier is out of position, which doesn’t help Foden at all.

The players are good enough, but it looks like Southgate is still trying to work his team out mid-tournament. What the hell are friendlies for? Oh yeah,money.

I agree with pretty much all you have said. The midfield was atrocious, especially Rice.

As good as Bellingham is, unfortunately he needs to try and play more, last night he spent most of his time sat on his ar$e with his hands in the air protesting that someone had the audacity to be within 2 meters of him and made him fall over.

8 hours ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

Couldn't argue with that. Safety first. I like him as a person, he does tend to put his players at ease - and for the most part that ease manifests itself in playing unfazed and unpressured against lesser sides in qualifying for major tournaments. But to WIN a major tournament takes tactical nouse.  He hasn't got that, sadly.

He very nearly won a major tournament. Had we won the penalty shootout would that mean that he did actually have tactical nouse? How does losing a penalty shootout prove that he doesn't have it?

2 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I agree with pretty much all you have said. The midfield was atrocious, especially Rice.

As good as Bellingham is, unfortunately he needs to try and play more, last night he spent most of his time sat on his ar$e with his hands in the air protesting that someone had the audacity to be within 2 meters of him and made him fall over.

Bloody hell, don't start criticising the players! Billingham falling over was Southgates fault. Apparently it's what he has told him to do so he doesn't get injured. Typical Safegate.

9 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

I posted on Facebook that I’d rather watch early season Derby County!

Talking of Facebook, there was a meme explaining betting odds. So, say you get odds of 12 - 1 for England to win the Euros: if you put a £10 bet on, you will lose £10!

The good thing is that if we do turn it around, then just like with Derby, you'll be able to claim the credit by saying Southgate listened to your concerns and only changed the team because of you 😂

9 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

You are clearly not happy with Southgate's record then and mock it, when it's vastly better than nearly all other managers. You have nothing else to offer. There are hardly any other options. You will never be satisfied. 

Would be if Rooney was in charge probably 

13 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

I suppose it could be worse. You could live in a country where men wear skirts and think strangling a cat is a good noise. Then only qualify every 20 years.

Have you not been to Brighton🤷🏻‍♂️