Pre season

Posted (edited)

Even before the celebrations had started the management team would have been preparing for the next season. Along with the retention list and any new signings, it also means pre-season friendlies. I'm assuming some of these games may have already pencilled in. But who would people like to see us play.

I always hope for a couple of Scottish teams so I can watch the Rams while visiting relatives.

But as I'm down around Dorset and Hampshire area just before the season kicks off this year.  I'd be happy for the club to have a mini tour of two or three clubs in that area. A lower league team along with one or two decent non-league teams would make for some good warm-up games.

Edited by 1of4

They'll no doubt be another Matlock game with the Clowes links between both clubs as shown with the reserves now playing there.

Warne seemed highly impressed with the Spain camp last summer so perhaps a return to familiar grounds? 

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

Even before the celebrations had started the management team would have been preparing for the next season. Along with the retention list and any new signings, it also means pre-season friendlies. I'm assuming some of these games may have already pencilled in. But who would people like to see us play.

I always hope for a couple of Scottish teams so I can watch the Rams while visiting relatives.

But as I'm down around Dorset and Hampshire area just before the season kicks off this year.  I'd be happy for the club to have a mini tour of two or three clubs in that area. A lower league team along with one or two decent non-league teams would make for some good warm-up games.

Winchester City, Eastleigh and then Southampton would be mighty convenient for this couchie....

6 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I doubt we'll be playing other Championship teams in friendlies.

Only chance of that would be some really early friendly abroad as part of a camp. Haven't we done something similar to that before?

31 minutes ago, eccles the ram said:

Rotherham 

In all seriousness, playing a team relegated from the Championship might not be a bad idea for both clubs given we’ve got a manager who is an expert at getting promoted from League 1 (I know our team is likely to be very different to the one from last season but, it might give our opponents some idea of what it might take) and we’d be playing a team possibly still set up as a Championship team. Having said that, Rotherham were so far adrift they barely count as a Championship team and Birmingham would be a nightmare (especially at home - no thank you) so I’d say Huddersfield.

48 minutes ago, Srg said:

Only chance of that would be some really early friendly abroad as part of a camp. Haven't we done something similar to that before?

Oh yeah, it looks like we did under Coco in 2019, playing Bristol City in Florida as arranged by Lampard, then again in 2020 when we played Brentford at Burton for some reason. I just thought it unlikely that Warne would do that, but perhaps we will just to test the water?

Truro City have their new ground opening ahead of the new season. I personally think we would be excellent opponents to play in the first game.