Congrats from a Wanderer

Good luck with the play-offs @BWFCNick. The game at Pride Park was a massive pivotal moment in the race for the automatic places and personally I thought you were a bit  unlucky not to come away from that game with at least a share of the spoils.

Our keeper made two crucial saves, one of which was world class. We managed to be more clinical with our chance and that was the difference. 

Really hope you do it because like us and Pompey you've stared down the barrel of the abyss. After being in such a place your fanbase deserve a taste of the good times again. Once again, good luck, I'll be rooting for you. 🤞

3 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

Walter Roulstone (1866–1953) was an English footballer who played for Derby County.[2]

William Roulstone was signed in 1886 by Sawley Rangers F.C. Very little is known about Sawley Rangers except they were founder members of the Derbyshire Football Association. Albert Williamson was only at Sawley Rangers for one season, 1886–87. Albert Williamson was on Derby County's books for the one season prior to the start of the Football League, 1887–88.[2][3][4]

Walter Roulstone made his League debut on 8 September 1888, playing at wing–half, at Pike's Lane, the then home of Bolton Wanderers. Derby County defeated the home team 6–3. Walter Roulstone appeared in 21 of the 22 League matches played by Derby County in season 1888–89. As a wing-half (20 appearances) he played in a midfield that achieved big (three–League–goals–or–more) wins on three separate occasions.[3]

He was the first player to make 100 league appearances with Derby County. His brother Frank was also a footballer. Although Derby County had had a poor season (1888–89), Roulstone was retained to play alongside the more experienced professionals being brought in during the close season in 1889. Roulstone stayed with Derby County for seven seasons leaving in 1894. He played 118 games becoming the First Derby County player to play 100 games for the club. He went to local non-league club Heanor Town in 1895.[5]

Some clubs' records are incomplete from the early days, or aren't readily available. It just might be that Walter was the first person anywhere to ever play 100 league games.

Thanks Wanderer @BWFCNick. I will be fully supporting you in the play-offs. My grandfather was from Bolton so of course a Wanderers fan, hence I grew up as a dual supporter of DCFC and BWFC (I know, but it is possible). His older brother was at the Burnden Park tragedy back in 1946, and he took me to some of my earliest matches, the PNE promotion game in 92 (??), the FA Cup replay (RIP) at Liverpool in 93, the 5th Round tie that year at the BBG, plus the 95 League Cup final and that amazing play-off final against Reading… I also was there for the European games at Lokomotiv Plovdiv, Red Star Belgrade, and the incredible night when Bolton knocked Atletico Madrid out of Europe. I’m certainly a Derby County fan first and foremost these days, but Bolton are in my heart for sure. My grandfather would have hated this season, he’d have been the sole (low key) Bolton supporter in a family of Derby County fans. I hope we will meet in the Championship next season.

A sensible Trotter @BWFCNick you are. I thought you were unlucky not to have left Pride Park with a point as I'm still convinced the ball and Waggy's arm came into contact. He was the last player to touch the ball so, even if it was accidental, the goal should have been disallowed. Conversely, I think we should have left yours with at least a point. We had a goal disallowed so we could have a penalty (in fairness the ref had blown before the ball went in but he ought to have waited before pointing to the spot and allowed the goal, IMO) two other nailed on penalties refused and our keeper sent off for chesting the ball outside his area. Then you got a penalty for a foul, and a foul it was, outside the area. A win each gave us 3 points apiece. A draw in both and we'd both have had a point less so in the end the mistakes helped us both out.

With regard to the playoffs, I hope you win them. Two clubs put in jeopardy by previous owners have managed to escape L1 through the right door. BWFC is another club almost extinct thanks to an owner. You can complete the hattrick and some sort of poetic justice will have been served.

Good luck.

35 minutes ago, LN747 said:

Surely Barnsley should give Wanderers more than 2000 tickets , they struggle to get 13500 to Oakwell 

They gave us just over 5000, yes Bolton are a good old football town, who have been shafted by there previous owner, hope Bolton come up as well. 

44 minutes ago, LN747 said:

Surely Barnsley should give Wanderers more than 2000 tickets , they struggle to get 13500 to Oakwell 

I guess it depends on whether they think they would be handing Bolton an advantage if they were backed by a larger following. Maybe Barnsley are thinking they’d rather take the hit on income.

It looks like they are giving them the same number of tickets as last season when the attendance was just over 16,000.

Good luck to you @BWFCNick & Bolton in the playoffs. You’ve played some cultured football this year, maybe a tad too cultured for League One but you should be playing in the Championship and if you don’t go through this season, keep the faith for next. 

I think a lot of the animosity was the fault of the referee when we played you at your place. Some massive c*** ups by him that made us feel aggrieved. 

Good luck in the play offs. Hopefully Oxford don’t go up so we can pinch Brannigan off them 🤣

23 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I think a lot of the animosity was the fault of the referee when we played you at your place. Some massive c*** ups by him that made us feel aggrieved. 

Good luck in the play offs. Hopefully Oxford don’t go up so we can pinch Brannigan off them 🤣

It also didn't help when certain Trotters fans used to come on here dissing how we play when the greatest manager in their recent history was SAM ALLARDYCE

On 28/04/2024 at 13:40, BWFCNick said:

Hi all,

I just wanted to pop on and say congrats on a successful season and well deserved promotion. I know there's been some ill feeling between fans, mostly on the toxic social media platforms (not helped by a large number of idiots of which we at Bolton have f****** loads). I've scanned through your forum and a few others to regularly to check in on the thoughts of some of our promotion rivals over the season and as forums go, this one is generally positive and full of good and honest opinions. We have another fan called Wanderlust who often peruses the various forums and I feel he is a good fan for honest opinions too. I hope we can join you, I'm sure there's plenty of you hoping we stumble and end up stuck in L1 for at least another year, mainly for the fans who've been making stupid excuses for us not winning points this season. Reality is, you and Pompey were the most consistent teams over the season and thoroughly deserve your promotion, so well done and good luck in the championship next year. With your stadium and fanbase and what your fans have been through (trust me, I know what it feels like too), you deserve some good times now!

All the best gents (and ladies)

Not me! My grandad was a massive Bolton Wanderers fan, I still remember him shouting "BOLTON WANDERERS!" At the top of his voice when the scores came in. Scared my poor grandma to death! 😆

So the last two seasons I've wanted a the Rams and Bolton for top two.

I'll be rooting for you in the playoffs (good result last night 👍). Good luck!

Big step towards Wembley for Bolton last night. Fair play to them. I'm happy to see Barn-se-leh missing out and it'd take something pretty unlikely from here for them to overturn things in the 2nd leg. That 94th minute 3rd goal is probably the clincher but in all honesty they've been in shocking form recently - 2 points from the last 6 games and another defeat last night., so their season has really gone into a tailspin.