Match Thread: Wycombe (a)

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Interested to know what changes you think he should have made?

Bringing Hourihane on and trying to gain control in midfield makes sense, but still should have come sooner and you could argue we'd have been better with Thompson.

Washington was poor through the middle and even worse out wide, should have made the switch for Barkhuizen then.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Agree with this that it was the touch before the cross that was poor.

Don't agree with this, he had all the time in the world. Just a complete lack of concentration. 

He had enough time to strike the ball better but not take a touch and then side foot it in.

55 minutes ago, S8TY said:

FWIW I thought Wycombe actually tried to play and were not as industrial as we've seen them under Ainsworth, played some neat football at times and could've won.

That miss from CBT was really quite poor, we now move on to the O's who whenever I've seen them this season have played some nice football so won't be easy, we need PP rocking on Saturday I still think 3 wins will get us over the line 

Yes, Wycombe played much better stuff than I'd expected...some of their passges of plays were quite neat & opened us up easily. Also didnt think they resorted much to dark arts, it was a fair contest throughout. Their lad up top (Kone) looked a handful, add a bit of end product & he'll be playing at a much higher level.

It would have been difficult for a neutral to work out who was the team in 2nd & who was the team in 15th. Particularly galling given the difference in rest since last game & what was on the line for us. Was very disappointed with our approach, the ball seemed to be a hot potato at times, sensed a lack of urgency (Wildsmith taking ages over restarts) & the decision making was poor. Corners for instance...I get their keeper had a howler on Sunday but did every corner taker have to try & score directly!? Washington also seemed very ponderous on the break, the only exception being his ball to CBT who could have taken a touch & should have scored.

The side looked disjointed with Washingtoj & Collins up top..the latter was anonymous throughout and think we'd have been better served putting in Thompson as an extra midfielder to dominate territory & inject some creativity. Credit to Adams & Korey Smith who played well all night & stopped us being overrun.

Onto Orient & now needing favours from others. If I see Sonny Bradley in that starting line up, Im going to go spare. Dont even think about it Warne.

1 minute ago, Shuff264 said:

Bringing Hourihane on and trying to gain control in midfield makes sense, but still should have come sooner and you could argue we'd have been better with Thompson.

Washington was poor through the middle and even worse out wide, should have made the switch for Barkhuizen then.

I think bringing Hourihane on was to try and get Wilson further forward, which we did. 

Can't disagree about taking Washington off earlier.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

He had enough time to strike the ball better but not take a touch and then side foot it in.

He really did, if he's anything like a competent footballer. 

The keeper was a good 6 feet away from him when the ball arrived at his feet

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Not sure how adding Bradley helps in any logical way.

Our problems are in attack. We have a selection of forwards who either aren’t fully fit or otherwise just aren’t good enough.

Smith and Adams battled manfully in midfield but they desperately need a third player they can rely upon. Ward provided that briefly. Bird’s return would help massively.

We have the version of James Collins who runs around a lot without being creative and Washington who gets behind defences and then….nothing.

NML looks cursed. I have never seen a player kick the ball into touch as often.

We know CBT can be good, but does he?

What surprised me last night was our willingness to pump the ball in the air again, letting Wildsmith take long free kicks when creativity was needed. I hope that they will practice in training the slick first time passing which can produce the three wins we need.

I'm not a fan but if Barkhuizen isn't fit to start, then maybe wing backs may be the answer 

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

He really did, if he's anything like a competent footballer. 

The keeper was a good 6 feet away from him when the ball arrived at his feet

Well we’ll have to agree to disagree. In my opinion he really didn’t. Regardless of where the keeper was, if he’d tried to take a touch and then side foot it in, it would have narrowed his angle. He would probably have had to control it with his left foot and then side footed it in with his left foot. I don’t think that would have been easy and, IMO, he made the right decision (as I believe pretty much every other player would have) to try and direct it into the goal with his first touch. He got it wrong though.

The game. Ref let a lot go from both sides and that meant it was the most free flowing of our 6 meetings with the Chairboys. Very little of the stop/start game of the previous 5 meetings. Despite the result, the neutral in me liked the game a lot more than the fan or the coach.

Decent moves from both sides, very few of which ended in real chances. NML put 2 over and CBT tripped over his laces, or something similar, a yard out with the keeper nowhere to be seen. They had 1 blazed over and forced a very good save from Wildsmith late on. We will be disappointed at not making more of our superior 1st half. They will feel the same about the 2nd half. There were more occasions where either side should have done better with a shot. Kone twice and then Washington who should have hit the ball first time instead of taking a touch... 

All in all, a draw was the right result. We no longer have things in our hands but neither Posh nor the Trotters will win all of their remaining games as they play each other on the last day and Trotters play Pompey this weekend. 2nd spot is still wide open and will not, IMO, be decided until the last day. Still all to play for and, surely, we'll play better in the final third in the last 3 games, won't we?

38 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

Completely exposed our one dimensional way of playing, if getting it wide and chucking it in the box doesn't work we really have no clue.

NML, CBT, Collins were all poor, Washington looks like he won a competition to be a footballer.

Smith had a good game, as did Sibley and Wildsmith.

Warnes in game management poor as well, too slow to make changes in the second half and even when they did come he didnt do enough. Looked too scared to lose the point to actually go for it.

Its another game in this season thats a missed opportunity, and another game they bored me to tears.

NML, CBT, Collins were all poor, Washington looks like he won a competition to be a footballer.

If Washington won, CBT must've come 2nd.

9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Well we’ll have to agree to disagree. In my opinion he really didn’t. Regardless of where the keeper was, if he’d tried to take a touch and then side foot it in, it would have narrowed his angle. He would probably have had to control it with his left foot and then side footed it in with his left foot. I don’t think that would have been easy and, IMO, he made the right decision (as I believe pretty much every other player would have) to try and direct it into the goal with his first touch. He got it wrong though.

Really?!

image.png

8 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Why would any footballer want to control the ball with the goal only a couple of feet away and empty? CBT just fluffed a great opportunity, I fear that miss will hang heavy on the player 😉

3 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Why would any footballer want to control the ball with the goal only a couple of feet away and empty? CBT just fluffed a great opportunity, I fear that miss will hang heavy on the player 😉

If the pass had been as good as it should have been he wouldn't have even needed to think about it.

However, as the pic above shows he had enough time to do whatever he wanted if he was worried he might not get a good connection. 

Just a complete lapse of concentration or lack of confidence.