Coming to Derby. Advice please folks.

My second trip this season to your great club, but this time I'm treating my Mrs to a couple of nights in Derby.

We are staying in a hotel 5 minutes walk from the ground, but we will be doing the tourist bit and was wondering if any of you good Derby folks could give us some good places to visit and any welcoming pubs too. We are late 50's, so no skate board parks or teeny bopper boozers please. 

Thanks in advance and see you Friday 😄 

3 minutes ago, WharfedaleRam said:

Hope you have a good weekend my friend (apart from the result of course!). Being a similar age, we enjoy the Silk Mill when in town (does some good pub grub), the Dolphin usually has a decent pint (oldest pub in Derby) and the Exeter Arms. 

There's loads of choice if you walk into the town centre. Enjoy.

I've been to Derby a few times (non football) and yes, the oldest pub in Derby, I've been in there. Is it also the most haunted pub in Derby too? As for the result, we are the most unpredictable team in the division. We still have an outside chance, but we will have a great time regardless win or lose.

Hello and welcome to Derby on Friday. Only giving you advice if you agree to give us the 3 points!

We know what happened on your last visit.

Head for the Cathedral which is worth a look and Irongate & Sadlergate are pleasant enough for a browse round the shops.

Just a few hundred yards beyond the Cathedral is a lovely pub called The Olde Dolphin, said to be the oldest pub in Derby. 

So having stopped for refreshments then why not try the Museum of Making just down to the right of the pub.

To further impress your good lady, a trip to Derby Theatre to see 'The School for Scandal' may be in order.

Enjoy your stay, but not too much!!

9 minutes ago, et arietem said:

Hello and welcome to Derby on Friday. Only giving you advice if you agree to give us the 3 points!

We know what happened on your last visit.

Head for the Cathedral which is worth a look and Irongate & Sadlergate are pleasant enough for a browse round the shops.

Just a few hundred yards beyond the Cathedral is a lovely pub called The Olde Dolphin, said to be the oldest pub in Derby. 

So having stopped for refreshments then why not try the Museum of Making just down to the right of the pub.

To further impress your good lady, a trip to Derby Theatre to see 'The School for Scandal' may be in order.

Enjoy your stay, but not too much!!

Thanks for that advice. Hope we are still welcomed if we win 🙂 We still have a chance of that 6th spot.

If you're staying near to the ground and want somewhere close to eat I'd recommend Niccos if you like curry www.niccorestaurant.com/ or Seven www.sevenrestaurant.co.uk/ otherwise.

These might be worth a visit:

Museum of Making - https://derbymuseums.org/museum-of-making/visit/
Great Northern Classics - www.greatnorthernclassics.co.uk/

1 hour ago, Blackpoolmad said:

I've been to Derby a few times (non football) and yes, the oldest pub in Derby, I've been in there. Is it also the most haunted pub in Derby too? As for the result, we are the most unpredictable team in the division. We still have an outside chance, but we will have a great time regardless win or lose.

A lot of grave resurrection and dissection went on their as the surgeons used to undertake training in Amen Alley just next door a few hundred years back.  Runs by the side of the Cathedral.  Jorrocks down the road at the bottom of Irongate is very haunted.  They had a skull behind the bar for years that was dug up in the cellar.  It was a regular for the Jacobites just before it went tits up as they headed out of Derby and I believe someone broke their standard just outside in a bit of drunken revelry which was deemed a bad omen.  Most definitely a Derby pub however, so probably not the best choice before or after match.

Cathedral is actually quite nice and is the second largest church tower in England, but not quite York Minster.  Bess of Hardwicks tomb is in there.  St Marys church just up the road was Pugin designed, the only church he ever designed  and it does actually look like the Houses of Parliament. 

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

A lot of grave resurrection and dissection went on their as the surgeons used to undertake training in Amen Alley just next door a few hundred years back.  Runs by the side of the Cathedral.  Jorrocks down the road at the bottom of Irongate is very haunted.  They had a skull behind the bar for years that was dug up in the cellar.  It was a regular for the Jacobites just before it went tits up as they headed out of Derby and I believe someone broke their standard just outside in a bit of drunken revelry which was deemed a bad omen.  Most definitely a Derby pub however, so probably not the best choice before or after match.

Cathedral is actually quite nice and is the second largest church tower in England, but not quite York Minster.  Bess of Hardwicks tomb is in there.  St Marys church just up the road was Pugin designed, the only church he ever designed  and it does actually look like the Houses of Parliament. 

Sorry to correct @Gee SCREAMER !! but Pugin designed loads of churches, both in Britain and in Ireland, but he's right to point out St Mary's as a fine example.

It would be remiss not to mention the Joseph Wright of Derby paintings which have a room to themselves at Derby Museum on the Wardwick, as he was one of England's greatest painters and is particularly associated with the Lunar Society and the English Enlightenment. It's also a short walk from there to the Old Bell Hotel, another of Derby's "oldest pub" contestants.

If you are really into real ale then the Smithfield, Alex, Victoria, Brunswick, Flowerpot and Five Lamps have the best choice.

After the game the Anoki has a bogof early evening offer which makes a top class Indian restaurant have curry house prices.

As others have said the making it museum and cathedral Quarter are the nicest areas.

You can walk along the river from there to the ground, passing several good pubs.

If the weather is nice and you want a walk, you cam can up the river to Darley Park, which is pleasant.

Not on match day (Away fans not allowed) but a trip to the Neptune is recommended. 3 Indian restaurants close to each other. Anoki on London Road which is excellent but expensive. Round the corner on Midland Road you have two, the Viceroy which is cheapish, good but comes in 3rd place. Middling for price and very good food you have Shalimar Gold. Wagamama in the Derbion (mall) is good.

4 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Not on match day (Away fans not allowed) but a trip to the Neptune is recommended. 3 Indian restaurants close to each other. Anoki on London Road which is excellent but expensive. Round the corner on Midland Road you have two, the Viceroy which is cheapish, good but comes in 3rd place. Middling for price and very good food you have Shalimar Gold. Wagamama in the Derbion (mall) is good.

Viceroy cheap?! money bags over here

Well, I wouldn't be going to the Neptune if I wanted to sample the best Ale in town and my time was limited, that's for sure, but it does have character as a former Bass house and DCFC fan favourite.

12 hours ago, Blackpoolmad said:

My second trip this season to your great club, but this time I'm treating my Mrs to a couple of nights in Derby.

We are staying in a hotel 5 minutes walk from the ground, but we will be doing the tourist bit and was wondering if any of you good Derby folks could give us some good places to visit and any welcoming pubs too. We are late 50's, so no skate board parks or teeny bopper boozers please. 

Thanks in advance and see you Friday 😄 

Has she been particularly naughty, because that's some punishment.

Anyway, just on the off chance that she doesn't have a beard, a beer belly and open toed sandals (though its fine if she does), there are other non real ale pubs available which might add a bit of life or glamour to your stay. (The Neptune and Jorrocks are not among them, by the way, imho). Most of the restaurants around Derby are on Friar Gate, and the Distillery or Orange Tree (George St) are popular. Lorentes is a great tapas bar on Friar Gate but its tiny and gets very booked up. Pierre's is always decent.

The shopping centre is ok for a wander around but its just like every other shopping centre, it has a cinema, a bowling alley and a crazy golf thing. Plenty of food choices from Wagamamas to Nandos.

Other than that if you really want to walk through the town centre, which is much like any other town centre in that its a bit miserable and run down, as others have said the Cathedral area is the nicest bit. The Cathedral itself is lovely, and if the weather is ok a walk by the river is nice. Dolphin is a decent pub, the Museum of Making is ok if you're interested in that kind of thing.

On Pride Park, as others have said, Niccos and Seven are the best pick, but a bit pricey in the evening. Harvester, Frankie and Benny's, Merlin are the others, food ok but only ok. You may wish to treat Mrs Blackpoolmad to a game of padel; there's a really good setup there on the old JJB complex next to the stadium. 

Enjoy your stay and enjoy the game!