Coming to Derby. Advice please folks.

4 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Come to Matlock Bath it’s a bit like Blackpool without the sea. You’ll have the added bonus if the weathers good of sitting in traffic for a few hours and no where to park. 

I was there today for an hour as it turns out, it was empty and raining, so I managed to park on the main road (that’s a first) outside a very nice cafe. I must go there more often when it’s cold and wet.

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

And stay for the dancing in the pavilion, and greasy rat burger from the arcade over the road after as you gently walk you new soon be STD along the river.

Also, if you're both 7 years old there's Gullivers kingdom.

You’ve brought back some memories there. Especially the Rat Burger. 

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

I haven't been recently, but it's never disappointed me. The chicken liver puree starter was always my favourite.

I've not tried that but might give it a go now when I'm next there in a couple of weeks.

5 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Come to Matlock Bath it’s a bit like Blackpool without the sea. You’ll have the added bonus if the weathers good of sitting in traffic for a few hours and no where to park. 

The joy of sitting at those traffic lights at the turn for Crich and Cromford  at weekends and even more so at bank holidays.  As you sit waiting you get surrounded by revving bikes full of 60yr old blokes who turn into Mad Max for the afternoon and screech off as soon as the light turns Green and leave you sat there as one car makes it through.  Lovely day out spending an hour travelling 1/2 mile. 

9 hours ago, Rev said:

My mates and I used to buy Fun Snaps from Alfs joke shop, round the corner from Duckworth Square. 

Then we'd lean over the car park level wall, and throw them down at people on the ground floor below, hoping to hit them on the head and duck back down. 

Hours of fun, until I hit a skinhead full on the bonce, and he and his mates immediately pelted for the stairs up. 

We had to take the stairs down, just beating them to the exit, then they proceeded to chase us halfway back to Spondon before they eventually gave up.

Easily in our top 3 chases, alongside the fuzz chasing us through Stoney Cross for lighting a fire under the ropeswing and swinging through it, and the mad bugger who lived in the flats, and would ask us to wait while he put his trainers to chase us for door knocking.

Today’s kids miss out of all that juvenile high jinx in favour of Tik-Tok & discussing their mental health breakdowns online with total strangers 😲

On 27/03/2024 at 23:40, Crewton said:

Sorry to correct @Gee SCREAMER !! but Pugin designed loads of churches, both in Britain and in Ireland, but he's right to point out St Mary's as a fine example.

It would be remiss not to mention the Joseph Wright of Derby paintings which have a room to themselves at Derby Museum on the Wardwick, as he was one of England's greatest painters and is particularly associated with the Lunar Society and the English Enlightenment. It's also a short walk from there to the Old Bell Hotel, another of Derby's "oldest pub" contestants.

Ahh…the Old Bell Hotel is the actual birthplace of Derby County FC…back in Sept 1883 Derbyshire CC Club held their meetings there…

Cricket Treasurer: “We’re forked gentlemen…Racecourse people want to alter the back-straight so we’ve got to move the cricket pavilion. It’ll cost £2000 …and as thee knows we’re already £2000 Guineas in the red at the bank…”

<gasps all around>

William Morley <checks his pocket watch…it’s 20:24> “The answer is quite simple gentlemen …Let’s start a football team…Notts County charge 1d entry & regularly pull in crowds of over 800…”. 

23 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The joy of sitting at those traffic lights at the turn for Crich and Cromford  at weekends and even more so at bank holidays.  As you sit waiting you get surrounded by revving bikes full of 60yr old blokes who turn into Mad Max for the afternoon and screech off as soon as the light turns Green and leave you sat there as one car makes it through.  Lovely day out spending an hour travelling 1/2 mile. 

Just as bad coming from the Bakewell side. I often get caught out when I’ve just got out of Matlock and hit the traffic and I always say ffs 🤦‍♂️.

8 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

Credit to the Derbyshire motorcycle police - that's a slick operation

Love the comments from the supporters on the bus! 

This explains why nobody can get off Pride Park for ages after the game.

45 minutes ago, angieram said:

Love the comments from the supporters on the bus! 

This explains why nobody can get off Pride Park for ages after the game.

Brilliant! Was enjoying that footage so much , i  was disappointed when it ended 😂