Coming to Derby. Advice please folks.

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

It's worth pointing out that Derby's two Wetherspoons, the Babbington and the Standing Order, are two of the best around and serve both Real Ale and the other stuff. They also open early for the classic Spoons breakfast, for which many regulars dress appropriately.

I can recommend the fish and chips in both establishments, along with Doombar at less than  £2 a pint 

Whats not to like

14 minutes ago, silverback said:

I can recommend the fish and chips in both establishments, along with Doombar at less than  £2 a pint 

Whats not to like

Doombar is what not to like - how Coors can be allowed to change the recipe and percentage and take it from a lovely beer to the slop it is now without being made to change its name should be against the trade descriptions act - think I'd rather pay £2 not to have it to be honest - carry on everyone, rant over 😂

19 hours ago, Blackpoolmad said:

My second trip this season to your great club, but this time I'm treating my Mrs to a couple of nights in Derby.

We are staying in a hotel 5 minutes walk from the ground, but we will be doing the tourist bit and was wondering if any of you good Derby folks could give us some good places to visit and any welcoming pubs too. We are late 50's, so no skate board parks or teeny bopper boozers please. 

Thanks in advance and see you Friday 😄 

If you like history/architecture may I suggest that you have a look at the houses that make up Railway Terrace adjacent to the Brunswick Inn just along from Derby Railway Station. They were built by Stevenson and designed by Francis Thompson in 1840’s; the whole chebang only survived the wrecking ball with 20 minutes to spare - the Council wanted to flatten the whole lot and build a flyover - but were saved by Derby Civic Society taking out listed status and turned up to stop the demolition with literally 20 minutes before it was due to start. In fact Derby Station and the Midland Hotel opposite were also Stevenson and Thompson creations. Derby Station is a tri-junct where 3 mainlines meet. It made Derby the centre of the railway world; and notably the original plan was for Notts to be the centre but those Nimbies turned it down feeling it would besmirch their fair city - 🤷‍♂️ I know. Anyway, enjoy your time. I’ve had 2 great away days in Blackpool in the last 2 seasons so hope you do too - apart from the result of course. 
https://www.brunswickderby.co.uk/history/

Edited by Ellafella

32 minutes ago, Ilkestonian said:

Doombar is what not to like - how Coors can be allowed to change the recipe and percentage and take it from a lovely beer to the slop it is now without being made to change its name should be against the trade descriptions act - think I'd rather pay £2 not to have it to be honest - carry on everyone, rant over 😂

Maybe because Coors is all about lager, which thinks it is a beer but isn’t.

I suspect that we donate the next match’s  lager when we point Percy at the steel wall prior to the match and at half-time! 🤪

3 minutes ago, Ilkestonian said:

I'd have to agree with you. Both Doom Bar and Pedigree are not the beers they used to be. It's still possible to get tolerable pints of either, but if they're anything less than immaculately kept, they're rank. Bass is similarly prone to being badly kept.

4 hours ago, NOTSA74 said:

I went to Anoki last weekend and they're really pushing a limited menu for March which I didn't think was good value. I think the Viceroy is on a par with Anoki but I'd also mention Mount Everest on London Road for a good Nepalese and Gurkha beer.

The Pepperpot restaurant has just opened on London Road https://www.pepperpotderby.co.uk/

Was thinking about trying Mount Everest so I'm interested in what you're saying on that.

Anoki is hugely overpriced for what you get imo. Lots of better Indian restaurants out there.

7 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Was thinking about trying Mount Everest so I'm interested in what you're saying on that.

Anoki is hugely overpriced for what you get imo. Lots of better Indian restaurants out there.

It's a while since I've been to Mount Everest but I've always had a good meal there. The Nepalese dishes are very good though you can get a Madras or Korma etc. if you want.

1 hour ago, silverback said:

Whats not to like

Careful now, too many comments like that and @Eddie will be setting his trappist monks on you.

39 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Come to Matlock Bath it’s a bit like Blackpool without the sea. You’ll have the added bonus if the weathers good of sitting in traffic for a few hours and no where to park. 

When I was a kid, a trip to Matlock Bath was as good as a trip to the seaside, for all those reasons.

7 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I always like to visit the assembly rooms, the eagle centre, duckworth square and the pink coconut....

But then I don't think I've actually been out and about in Derby for about 25 years....😉

All in here i'd imagine, even if it's only the pink coconut sign from a distance .  Probably about the right time frame as well.

50 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I went to Mount Everest a few weeks and loved it, food and staff were excellent and I enjoyed it much more than when I've been to the more expensive restaurants nearby - I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.

2 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Come to Matlock Bath it’s a bit like Blackpool without the sea. You’ll have the added bonus if the weathers good of sitting in traffic for a few hours and no where to park. 

And stay for the dancing in the pavilion, and greasy rat burger from the arcade over the road after as you gently walk you new soon be STD along the river.

Also, if you're both 7 years old there's Gullivers kingdom.

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

1 hour ago, Ilkestonian said:

I went to Mount Everest a few weeks and loved it, food and staff were excellent and I enjoyed it much more than when I've been to the more expensive restaurants nearby - I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.

I haven't been recently, but it's never disappointed me. The chicken liver puree starter was always my favourite.

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

All in here i'd imagine, even if it's only the pink coconut sign from a distance .  Probably about the right time frame as well.

My mates and I used to buy Fun Snaps from Alfs joke shop, round the corner from Duckworth Square. 

Then we'd lean over the car park level wall, and throw them down at people on the ground floor below, hoping to hit them on the head and duck back down. 

Hours of fun, until I hit a skinhead full on the bonce, and he and his mates immediately pelted for the stairs up. 

We had to take the stairs down, just beating them to the exit, then they proceeded to chase us halfway back to Spondon before they eventually gave up.

Easily in our top 3 chases, alongside the fuzz chasing us through Stoney Cross for lighting a fire under the ropeswing and swinging through it, and the mad bugger who lived in the flats, and would ask us to wait while he put his trainers to chase us for door knocking.