Coming to Derby. Advice please folks.

13 hours ago, Blackpoolmad said:

My second trip this season to your great club, but this time I'm treating my Mrs to a couple of nights in Derby.

We are staying in a hotel 5 minutes walk from the ground, but we will be doing the tourist bit and was wondering if any of you good Derby folks could give us some good places to visit and any welcoming pubs too. We are late 50's, so no skate board parks or teeny bopper boozers please. 

Thanks in advance and see you Friday 😄 

I'm born and bred in Derby almost 68 years, It has it's good and bad just like Blackpool, You've been given some great advice here, There's plenty to see and do, Lots of boozers and eateries, A couple of good museums, A good shopping centre...the Derbion with a decent choice of foods, There's a picture house too in there if you fancy a movie in the back row 😉 failing that your missus can get her hand on a ball or 2 at the bowling alley 😁...also in the shopping centre.

Our history is in the books, Our buildings were destroyed by the town planners decades ago, The market place with the streets off...ie Irongate, Sadlergate, Saint Marys Gate are names given by the Saxons when they came to visit, The River Gardens are nice ish.

The Exeter Pub is a good choice as posters have said, Food and ale there is top notch, Both of you enjoy your stay...well almost your stay 😉

7 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I always like to visit the assembly rooms, the eagle centre, duckworth square and the pink coconut....

But then I don't think I've actually been out and about in Derby for about 25 years....😉

Topped off with the mile, starting at The Derbyshire Yeoman!  

127 pubs in 249 yards.  What's not to love!  Hic! 🍻

13 hours ago, Blackpoolmad said:

... We are late 50's, so no skate board parks...

Shame that, as it's mid-way 'twixt hotel* and city centre!

*Assuming hotel is also on Pride Park? 🤷‍♂️
If not, simply substitute the word "Hotel" for "Pride Park Stadium.  The Home of Football.  etc".

It's worth pointing out that Derby's two Wetherspoons, the Babbington and the Standing Order, are two of the best around and serve both Real Ale and the other stuff. They also open early for the classic Spoons breakfast, for which many regulars dress appropriately.

11 hours ago, Crewton said:

Sorry to correct @Gee SCREAMER !! but Pugin designed loads of churches, both in Britain and in Ireland, but he's right to point out St Mary's as a fine example.

It would be remiss not to mention the Joseph Wright of Derby paintings which have a room to themselves at Derby Museum on the Wardwick, as he was one of England's greatest painters and is particularly associated with the Lunar Society and the English Enlightenment. It's also a short walk from there to the Old Bell Hotel, another of Derby's "oldest pub" contestants.

Probably confused.  I think it may have been first gothic revival building

If you like it a bit livelier than standing around discussing hops and real ale, pop into the White Horse opposite the bus station and enjoy the music. They usually have live bands on Friday,  Saturday and Sunday and it's usually aimed at the more mature folk that enjoy Ska or Northern soul.

If you like a bit of Northern Soul, it's a busy weekend in Derby with at least 3 different events taking place.

I'll be at the 102 club on Friargate on Saturday night, £5 entry 7:30 till midnight, but there is also one at the Bluenote on Saddlergate that is free and runs from 4 pm till 10pm and another on Sunday at The Venue that runs from 3pm till 1:30 am and has a all female DJ line up and costs £7.

5 minutes ago, ossieram said:

If you like it a bit livelier than standing around discussing hops and real ale, pop into the White Horse opposite the bus station and enjoy the music. They usually have live bands on Friday,  Saturday and Sunday and it's usually aimed at the more mature folk that enjoy Ska or Northern soul.

If you like a bit of Northern Soul, it's a busy weekend in Derby with at least 3 different events taking place.

I'll be at the 102 club on Friargate on Saturday night, £5 entry 7:30 till midnight, but there is also one at the Bluenote on Saddlergate that is free and runs from 4 pm till 10pm and another on Sunday at The Venue that runs from 3pm till 1:30 am and has a all female DJ line up and costs £7.

Please don't stray as far as The Noahs Ark next door though.  I've been in hundreds of different pubs round the UK and in terms of being close to someone ready to jam a pot glass in your face for no reason, it's in my Top 1. 

4 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Not on match day (Away fans not allowed) but a trip to the Neptune is recommended. 3 Indian restaurants close to each other. Anoki on London Road which is excellent but expensive. Round the corner on Midland Road you have two, the Viceroy which is cheapish, good but comes in 3rd place. Middling for price and very good food you have Shalimar Gold. Wagamama in the Derbion (mall) is good.

I went to Anoki last weekend and they're really pushing a limited menu for March which I didn't think was good value. I think the Viceroy is on a par with Anoki but I'd also mention Mount Everest on London Road for a good Nepalese and Gurkha beer.

The Pepperpot restaurant has just opened on London Road https://www.pepperpotderby.co.uk/

4 minutes ago, NOTSA74 said:

I went to Anoki last weekend and they're really pushing a limited menu for March which I didn't think was good value. I think the Viceroy is on a par with Anoki but I'd also mention Mount Everest on London Road for a good Nepalese and Gurkha beer.

The Pepperpot restaurant has just opened on London Road https://www.pepperpotderby.co.uk/

We were over for the Stevenage game, mid February. Ate in the Anoki. Pretty expensive but well worth it as the service and food was excellent.

24 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Please don't stray as far as The Noahs Ark next door though.  I've been in hundreds of different pubs round the UK and in terms of being close to someone ready to jam a pot glass in your face for no reason, it's in my Top 1. 

Been in loads of times, normally after a skinfull and because it's between the White Horse and Mcturks kebab house, but never had any trouble. 

6 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Been in loads of times, normally after a skinfull and because it's between the White Horse and Mcturks kebab house, but never had any trouble. 

I hate that little outdoor bit at the back.  The angriest people in the world are in it.  That being said I've only been in their 2 pints in .  Perhaps the ambiance is better when the terror isn't apparent. 😃

58 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

32 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I think @Gee SCREAMER !! was talking about you!  😲

#just japes
#no offence intended m8
#hiding behind a keyboard
#Someone hacked my account
#stop hunting me down
#one day this big gob of mine will be the death of me
#please don't bulleh meh
#waaaaah
#etc

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Not been in the Noah's for years, It was like a zoo in there a mix n match of Derby folk...rammed to the rafters too, The nearest to blood you got was the meat raffle on Friday teatime 😁