Match Thread: vs Bolton Wanderers (H)

I don’t think Bolton were miles better than us. The football they play is a lot easier on the eye and is nice to watch as they move it around waiting for space to exploit but I think we were solid and had it not been for the odd poor touch here and there we’d have done a lot more on the counter attack. 

Anyway players need to forget it and focus straight on to the next match. Only Derby playing on Saturday out of the mini league of 5 at the top. Psychologically could be massive heading into the busy Easter period 7 points ahead of second and 2 points off top with superior goal difference. It turns the heat up on everybody around us when they’re cramming more games into a shorter time frame. We have to back yesterday up with a result at Northampton. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

No doubt our Bolton friend will be back to let us know we cheated and conned the ref for another goal this week.

GI0szdqXYAA9tzM.jpeg.7317efb6fd474ccb6be22132fff4bf12.jpeg

Cracking Up Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

OK just for you, it was handball.

But the reality is we created the better chances and didn't take them, and a lot of credit has to go to your goalie. Equally, the responsibility lies with our strikers who are simply not as ruthless as our usual starters, especially Dion Charles.

As I mentioned during the match when we were battering you but couldn't score in a brothel, it was obvious that you'd get a scabby goal to win it which you did, but that's football folks - you don't always get what you deserve, and we didn't deserve to lose that, not that you care.

The irony is that it was Kane Wilson who was credited with the goal - a player we'd agreed a fee with Brizzle to sign, but didn't in the end as his personal terms and wage demands were too high for us, so he came to you instead.

Anyhoo, onwards and sideways.....

4 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

But the reality is we created the better chances and didn't take them, and a lot of credit has to go to your goalie. Equally, the responsibility lies with our strikers who are simply not as ruthless as our usual starters, especially Dion Charles.

As I mentioned during the match when we were battering you but couldn't score in a brothel, it was obvious that you'd get a scabby goal to win it which you did, but that's football folks - you don't always get what you deserve, and we didn't deserve to lose that, not that you care.

The irony is that it was Kane Wilson who was credited with the goal - a player we'd agreed a fee with Brizzle to sign, but didn't in the end as his personal terms and wage demands were too high for us, so he came to you instead.

If only we’d have had our first, second, or third choice striker available or our only fit free transfer striker hadn’t gone off injured I’m sure we’d have scored more, s*** happens suck it up.

17 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

You’re the best side in the division and we’ve restricted you to 6 shots, only 3 of which are on target. That’s a solid performance.

Sounds like you only saw the stats, I'll sum it up for you but if you watched the game or the extended ignore it. We had one chance in the entire second half -you read that right- plus two half-chances in the first, nothing else of note; the other way keeper pulled two worldies, they hit the bar and came close at least a couple more times (50'-64'). Now I would agree the above against a tough opponent is "solid" if we were mid-table or lower, for an aspiring top 2/3 side at home I would call it "a stinker".

So be humble, accept we got the rub of the green (as has been the case numerous times this season, I make it win #9 where we haven't been the better side - 18 points right there for those who like their points and ppgs), be grateful for the result and move on, no need to get all snidey. Spare the gloating and glorifying for when we are actually decent and worthy winners, not after smash-and-grabs on our own turf. My tuppence anyway.

Edited by ap04

13 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Credit to our Goalie? 

Maybe if he wasn't sent off incorrectly at your place the points gap between us would be even greater.

18 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

If it was that much of a travesty that Waghorn scored with his hand then why did hardly any of your players appeal? 

I didn’t watch yesterday and by all accounts it sounded like you were the more menacing in attack. 

But ultimately you’ve played both ourselves and Barnsley in the last couple of weeks and taken a point. So only got yourselves to blame. 

FYI I had your squad down as the best in the league and Evatt as the best manager before the start of the season. Could all change again but as things stand you’ve fumbled this big time.

10 minutes ago, ap04 said:

Sounds like you only saw the stats, I'll sum it up for you but if you watched the game or the extended ignore it. We had one chance in the entire second half -you read that right- plus two half-chances in the first, nothing else of note; the other way keeper pulled two worldies, they hit the bar and came close at least a couple more times (50'-64'). Now I would agree the above against a tough opponent is "solid" if we were mid-table or lower, for an aspiring top 2/3 side at home I would call it "a stinker".

So be humble, accept we got the rub of the green (as has been the case numerous times this season, I make it win #9 where we haven't been the better side - 18 points right there for those who like their points and ppgs), be grateful for the result and move on, no need to get all snidey. Spare the gloating and glorifying for when we are actually decent and worthy winners, not after smash-and-grabs on our own turf. My tuppence anyway.

Your teem couldn’t even beat Luton 😂

I’d be embarrassed about being a Bolton fan coming on here talking about how they battered us: xG was 0.46 to 0.49. 

They were unlucky not to get a draw, but sideways passing between the centre backs, occasionally rotating into midfield and back to the centre backs, isn’t exactly the ‘battering’ you think it might be. 

9 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

This is brilliant!

Everyone knows we’re more of an away team. A record equalling 12 wins (so far) attests to that. 
it’s about time we had some good fortune. I wouldn’t agree Waghorn ‘handled’ the ball. It brushed between his hand and his leg. Hardly intentional! 
If we think back to the Sheffield Wednesday match, last game of the season; a really soft penalty given against Curtis Davies, yet at the same end Fozzy was literally thrown to the ground at a corner. No pen, obviously. 
Then the refs blunder at Bolton. 
Yes, it is time some things went our way. 

Edited by Rambam

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

I’d be embarrassed about being a Bolton fan coming on here talking about how they battered us: xG was 0.46 to 0.49. 

They were unlucky not to get a draw, but sideways passing between the centre backs, occasionally rotating into midfield and back to the centre backs, isn’t exactly the ‘battering’ you think it might be. 

I just checked possession stats too, expecting it to be about 90%. Was 56% to Bolton. Weird.

8 minutes ago, ap04 said:

Sounds like you only saw the stats, I'll sum it up for you but if you watched the game or the extended ignore it. We had one chance in the entire second half -you read that right- plus two half-chances in the first, nothing else ofubbing note; the other way keeper pulled two worldies, they hit the bar and came close at least a couple more times (50'-64'). Now I would agree the above against a tough opponent is "solid" if we were mid-table or lower, for an aspiring top 2/3 side at home I would call it "a stinker".

I am humble and can accept we may have had the rub of the green on 9 occasions but then again as they say you make your own luck, especially over 46 games, anyway I am loving it and feel very good and content this morning., probably not as good as when Craig Bryson scored a hatrick against notts forrist in the 5-0 thrashing.

Let's hope this lucky streak continues. Up the mighty Rams.

Their fans really are a bunch of salty bar-stewards aren't they...  Edged the possession, but other than the first 15, and stoppage time, it was evens.  We scored, they didn't now piss off back to hovels!!!

To be fair though, if/when we go up, Sheehan would be an ideal replacement of Hourihanne

If you watch the goal in real time, you can't even tell whether or not it touched Waghorn's arm. The ball didn't slow down or deviate and there was no Bolton player behind Waghorn being prevented from blocking the header. I suspect that Still has either been doctored or is an optical trick caused by the Still being taken just before Waghorn moved his arm slightly. No Bolton player appealed, so they clearly didn't see it hit Waghorn's arm either. A slow- motion replay would be more trustworthy.

Regardless, the ball was going in the net.

29 minutes ago, ap04 said:

Unsure if florist troll, or an extreme case of neurodiversity. 🤔

33 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

I knew as soon as you mentioned “deserved” that @ap04 would give you a clapping hand. 😀

Seriously though, yes you created the better chances and, on the whole, played the better football. BUT, you failed to score (as you say, either due to some poor finishing or great goal keeping) whereas we did. Therefore, you “deserved” to lose. Maybe our goal would have been ruled out if we had VAR (maybe not though given his arm wasn’t in an unnatural position and the ball was heading into the empty net anyway I’m not sure you could say he “scored” the goal) But, if that is your only case for not deserving to lose, would you concede that we didn’t deserve to lose at your place given the foul for your penalty was outside the box (just) and Wildsmith shouldn’t have been sent off?

12 hours ago, S6 boy said:

I thought he looked like a beast in the first half and was thinking he'd slot in nicely between Cash and Nelson in a back three.  However it was obvious he is not great on the ball as our staff had devised a press which completely ignored him.  Some of the fans were not happy we were letting him have the ball with zero pressure, but to me it must have been deliberate.  It seemed to work too, as I don't remember him doing anything with the ball at his feet all match.

This is how I saw it to. Akin to how teams used to mark Keogh and let Curtis Davies have the ball, or whoever it was next to him. We saw it stifle us playing it forward often. Clever plan really. 

4 minutes ago, Crewton said:

If you watch the goal in real time, you can't even tell whether or not it touched Waghorn's arm. The ball didn't slow down or deviate and there was no Bolton player behind Waghorn being prevented from blocking the header. I suspect that Still has either been doctored or is an optical trick caused by the Still being taken just before Waghorn moved his arm slightly. No Bolton player appealed, so they clearly didn't see it hit Waghorn's arm either. A slow- motion replay would be more trustworthy.

Regardless, the ball was going in the net.

On the RTV Twitter post of the goal two of their defenders on the left hand edge of the 6yd box are clearly tapping their arms and appealing to the ref/assistant.

https://x.com/dcfcofficial/status/1769091267068153961?s=46

26 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

xG was 0.46 to 0.49.

xG is quite unreliable for one-off matches. For instance it doesn't register at all them hitting the bar from a corner (as close as you can get to a goal), or Wildsmith flapping at an earlier corner with the goal gaping.

Edited by ap04

37 minutes ago, ap04 said:

Whilst technically correct, to say they hit the bar is a tad deceptive. If I remember correctly, it bounced on the top of the cross bar.

Yes Bolton played the better football on the whole, yes they created the best chances and we created very few of note but to describe it as “a stinker” is just beyond belief.