Derby v Stevenage FC - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

2 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

He was forced to was he ?

I suppose he was forced to play 8 defensive minded outfielders too ?

2 shots on goal all game, playing stevenage, at pride park, in the 3rd division. And your crediting warne ?

Four wins in five and could have been five in five if we hadn’t lost concentration late on v Shrewsbury.

A fantastic response since Reading away, especially with injuries mounting up. It also means it’s 14 wins in 19 games since the end of October.

Yes, we’re giving Warne and the players credit for keeping their heads, digging in and finding different ways to win, which is what we struggled with last season.

We know that you won’t say anything positive until we are top of the Championship in 12 months’ time. But why should that stop everyone else?

Just back from a game that I actually really enjoyed....the team really grafted that victory against a horrible bunch of players with a even more horrible manager.

Bradley was outstanding today I thought but there was no one I could really criticise a great deal.

Warne,overall,picked the right team and played the right tactics with this one and in doing so,nullified Stevenage.

Another 3 points well earned,spot on.

Oh,I forgot to mention the crowd today,we were outstanding 😁

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

7 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

He was forced to was he ?

I suppose he was forced to play 8 defensive minded outfielders too ?

2 shots on goal all game, playing stevenage, at pride park, in the 3rd division. And your crediting warne ?

Can’t you give it a rest just for once? 

We’re in league 1 with a good deal of league 1 players. Stevenage may not be Man City but they’re in the fight for the play offs. When you add in the number of injuries we have at the moment, especially up front, then I think the whole team (including the coaching staff) deserve some credit for grinding out a win against a team with one of the best away records.

36 minutes ago, silverback said:

The game play was dull up to the hour mark, they took the dark arts to a new level on and off the ball, thankfully Adams fought /blocked/cheated and generally was a thorn in their side also, then Smith came on,which seemed to signal far more attacking intent, culminating in a fine save by their keeper from Bird 

Once the crowd joined in as well, we proper got our tails up and that sublime pass from Smith set NML on his way, and Sibley scored a peach of a goal.

MOTM was definitely Adams, though all the back four should get a shout out too.

Apart from the occasional, and understandable, lapses I thought the supporters were excellent from the start.

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Four wins in five and could have been five in five if we hadn’t lost concentration late on v Shrewsbury.

A fantastic response since Reading away, especially with injuries mounting up. It also means it’s 14 wins in 19 games since the end of October.

Yes, we’re giving Warne and the players credit for keeping their heads, digging in and finding different ways to win, which is what we struggled with last season.

We know that you won’t say anything positive until we are top of the Championship in 12 months’ time. But why should that stop everyone else?

I'm aware of the results thanks.

My problem is why do we play so negative. Why when we have the best players in the league are we always playing as though we're the underdogs?

Job done, no number 9, and 3 points in the bag, great atmosphere at PP today, fans backimg the club from start to finish, Well taken goal from Sibbo, great performances from the back 3, Adams worked his wot sits off, NML second half caused them problems, Bird good again Barks also good and a big well done to Corey Smith when he came on, a very happy Ram tonight, we never give in, looking forward to Barnsley away now. 

30 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Put it this way, even my mate who sits next to me and challenges my opinions about Warne who questions everything I say about our tactics and play, said he didn't understand what we were aiming for for the first hour and a bit, want sure that the subs were right  and fully expected Sibley to come on to replace Elder and was of the opinion Hourihane should have come on before  Smith.

FFS it's gone red again.

ie... even someone very positive thought we got it wrong for the most part.

I even asked him (even after Sibley came on) would he attribute a potential victory to Warne's changes? He said no not really.

...but the way Warne has some people so wrapped around his little finger I struggle to view their opinions objectively.

See my earlier post which was laughed at... despite being pretty well balanced - by one of the regular 'absolvers' who think they can bully people into sharing their opinion of Warne.

As always I hope you don't think I'm counting you in this rant! I just think there are certain posters on this forum who are absolute w******.

It’s days like today where I think I’m perceived as being militantly Pro-Warne. I’m not saying he’s the messiah, and today was ugly as Steve Evans arris crack after a night on the medium strengths. BUT I can see what Warne did and why. No fit first team striker, CBT injured too, playing a side that has bullied us before, and a need to keep momentum while not losing.

So he picks a solid but uninspiring side and shape, which at least allows us to keep some of the limited attacking resource we have on the pitch (NML and Barks) whilst keeping one option in reserve (Sibley, don’t get why Weston wasn’t on the bench as I mentioned pre match but that’s one of the bigger Warne conversation points isn’t it?). They were a very narrow side as evidenced by Elder and Nyambe finding space out wide repeatedly, another thing I observed during the game and said Wilson to rwb would be a good shout with Sibley coming on in the attacking positions (🔮 or am I in fact Paul Warne as suggested the other day? I’m not 😉).

We kept it tight aside from needing a couple of good stops from Wildsmith (glad he’s back in whatever the situation) and then Warne made the change to free Bird further up the pitch, got Wilson to rwb and brought Sibley on and we instantly had more threat and intent about us which resulted in our first shots (questionably late as they were but the players were guilty of overplaying first half at times) and eventually the winning goal.

I believe you make your own luck, Warne made substitutions today that resulted in a home win, the match was dire but it worked in our favour by the full time whistle. 

You’re right there are people quick to hush any sense of anti-Warne rhetoric, and there are also people relentless in only pushing an anti-Warne rhetoric. I am, and always have been, advocating for a little balance. Some of today was w@nk, some of it was circumstantial, some of that circumstance is Warne’s doing and some of it isn’t. We’re challenging for promotion despite all his flaws partly due to some of his strengths. It should be possible to discuss both without the extreme stances on either side….in my simple minded view 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

37 minutes ago, Archied said:

Perhaps we just went for the old rope a dope trick ,,,, worked a treat 😀😀😀😀

Perhaps, if you want to take Warne's place and present a vainglorious attitude toward today's game and wish to expel any doubt whatsoever that there were any faults in our initial lineup.

Unfortunately it seems you're the sort who would read Warne pointing out why it went right/wrong and congratulate him for acknowledging it, while reading the same reasons it went right/wrong from 'anti-warne' posters and castigating them for their opinion.

Edited by May Contain Nuts