Paul Warne

Day

My concern is if we lose to Boro everyone will be on his back when in reality we are well outgunned in that match. Reality is this season there will be games where we are big underdogs up against squads that have had tens of millions spent on them. People need to be realistic in expectations. Boro spent 10m this window alone and signed Ayling on a free, I am not expecting a win but only hope is we can overperform at home and get some results.

4 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Yeah, it must be frustrating for PW that he has got us into the promised land of the championship and yet our squad isn’t much stronger than last season.

The keeper is potentially exciting, Goudmijn is like Princess Kate at a car boot sale. 

Ozoh has potential but needs to build his confidence so he’s bossing games, not reacting all the time.

We’re no closer to finding the goal scorer(s) we need and are a bit boring to watch but these things take time.

If we could get Wiredu, Maghoma and Woodrow as speculated, that would certainly help. Still think we need an attacking LB and a clever midfield player to bolster our options.

We shouldn’t be starting with any of Collins, Brown, Washington or Barkhuisen at this level.

Management is tricky! You have to try to bed in new players and sometimes you’ll realise they aren’t as good as you’d hoped. Also, it’s hard to get back the feel good factor of last season when you are leaving out players who have been at the club for a while.

I hope he gets it right. He deserves to.

Wiredu and Maghoma would be excellent additions

On 12/08/2024 at 19:44, DCFC Kicks said:

And the massive caveat that the promotion was from League One isn't important at all?

In the same vein as 'you can only beat what's in front of you'; 'you can only get promoted from the division you currently find yourself in'.

He got us promoted in the 2nd season after the club was in administration- I'd argue that's a positive caveat? There's a lot of variables both positive and negative, why can't we just recognise it was a decent achievement? 

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

In the same vein as 'you can only beat what's in front of you'; 'you can only get promoted from the division you currently find yourself in'.

He got us promoted in the 2nd season after the club was in administration- I'd argue that's a positive caveat? There's a lot of variables both positive and negative, why can't we just recognise it was a decent achievement? 

By that logic Arteta's achievement of finishing second is equal to Warne's?

I've never said it wasn't a decent achievement. But if he hadn't got promoted wouldn't you class it as a failure?

18 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

By that logic Arteta's achievement of finishing second is equal to Warne's?

I've never said it wasn't a decent achievement. But if he hadn't got promoted wouldn't you class it as a failure?

It came across as though you tried to undermine the achievement by diminishing the challenge of the league. Getting promoted at any level is hard. We've had single-figure managers in our history that have ever achieved it. Warne technically joins quite an illustrious list of names in this regard.

The goal for last season in most fan's eyes was go up by hook or by crook. Warne did that, and he deserves praise for it. Completely different set of challenges now and the relative success of last season is already close to being forgotten about as the new season gets properly underway. But Warne was the manager that led us out of the worst period competitively in the club's history, I'm personally quite thankful for that.

Edited by YorkshireRam

40 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

It came across as though you tried to undermine the achievement by diminishing the challenge of the league. Getting promoted at any level is hard. We've had single-figure managers in our history that have ever achieved it. Warne technically joins quite an illustrious list of names in this regard.

The goal for last season in most fan's eyes was go up by hook or by crook. Warne did that, and he deserves praise for it. Completely different set of challenges now and the relative success of last season is already close to being forgotten about as the new season gets properly underway. But Warne was the manager that led us out of the worst period competitively in the club's history, I'm personally quite thankful for that.

I don't think it was necessary for it to be by hook or crook. If we'd stuck with Rosenior it might have taken an extra season to get promoted but it would've been better in the long term with what he was developing.

40 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I don't think it was necessary for it to be by hook or crook. If we'd stuck with Rosenior it might have taken an extra season to get promoted but it would've been better in the long term with what he was developing.

There is no way of telling if it would have taken longer under LR (and if so, if it was only a year) in the same way that it’s impossible to know if it would’ve been better.

6 hours ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

I would walk away if I was Warne if it gets to this stage and we are relying on 18 year old loans and old journey men that nobody wants on a poundland budget. I am not a big fan of his really but he did a good job getting us up but we may as well have stayed down if Collins ,Barkheuizen and Forsyth will be playing week in week out. Forsyth played well last night but will get rinsed at LB this season if he is playing week in week out at his age.

I remember Clough "having to rely upon" loans like Ryan Noble, Priskin, Bryan Hughes, and Dickov, and frees like James O'Connor and Ben Pringle

2 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

You'd honestly be happier right now if we were still in League 1 under Rosenior, than our current position in the Championship under Warne? 

Fair play if so, but I'd rather have a crack at the Champ. I was also under no illusion that pretty football doesn't really work at League 1 level- if it did, Bolton would have finished above us. Warne did what was needed to get us out of that league, and I respect that. I think some people underestimate how hard it is to get out of League 1. 

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

There is no way of telling if it would have taken longer under LR (and if so, if it was only a year) in the same way that it’s impossible to know if it would’ve been better.

Of course. Seeing what he did at Hull I'm confident it would've been better. Just my opinion

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I remember Clough "having to rely upon" loans like Ryan Noble, Priskin, Bryan Hughes, and Dickov, and frees like James O'Connor and Ben Pringle

I would hope we are funded alot better than those dark days especially after Clowes's talk about a decent budget.

32 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

You'd honestly be happier right now if we were still in League 1 under Rosenior, than our current position in the Championship under Warne? 

Fair play if so, but I'd rather have a crack at the Champ. I was also under no illusion that pretty football doesn't really work at League 1 level- if it did, Bolton would have finished above us. Warne did what was needed to get us out of that league, and I respect that. I think some people underestimate how hard it is to get out of League 1. 

I don't think we would still be in L1 if Rosenior was still here. But even if we were, we would be in a better position in the long run in 2/3 seasons time.

I didnt agree with Rosenoir being sacked, still think he would have done a decent job here.

However, Warne has not actually done anything wrong yet.

Missed out on play offs by several poor refereeing decisions after joining us two months into the season.

Took us to automatic promotion in his first full season.

I'm more than happy to see how this season pans out, how the new players settle. I'm hoping for a boring season of mid table without a relegation battle.

Just watched Warne’s ramstv pre match interview. He does not seem v happy and his usual spark seemed missing. Won’t have helped his mood watching Boro put 3 past Leeds last night. Is he being messed around by agents and selling clubs as he strives to build a competitive team?? A home win on Sat would going in to the last week of the window work wonders so time for B4 to work his magic as he looks down

Edited by Poynton ram

23 hours ago, Poynton ram said:

Just watched Warne’s ramstv pre match interview. He does not seem v happy and his usual spark seemed missing. Won’t have helped his mood watching Boro put 3 past Leeds last night. Is he being messed around by agents and selling clubs as he strives to build a competitive team?? A home win on Sat would going in to the last week of the window work wonders so time for B4 to work his magic as he looks down

The crowd will make a difference “if” we get behind the team.

#relegationseason