Paul Warne

Day

12 minutes ago, Archied said:

Controversial 😂😂😂,, it’s everything that’s wrong with football now🤷🏻‍♂️

It's "everything that's wrong with football" that I could be of the opinion that the manager isn't right? Slightly reactionary. 

55 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

It’s nowhere near the first time this has been suggested and it’s not the first time I, and some others, have said it’s incredibly unlikely to happen. Nor should it. IF we do go up, none of us really know what it will be like next season and PW will deserved the chance to have a crack at it. 

I never said I felt it was likely. It's just the opinion I'm of really. None of us know what it'll be like, I just personally haven't enjoyed the football very much this year which I can appreciate is down to personal taste. I just have a feeling it isn't going to translate well to being in the division above when we don't have such advantages. 

I don't think Clowes would do what I'm suggesting for a second.

54 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I certainly feel this way sometimes - but could it be that the quality of the football this season has been determined more by:

- the quality of the players available to Warne (loads of injuries, especially to those with better ability)

- His restrictions regarding recruitment

- The reality of the league and the way the opposition force you into playing at times 

I’ve seen us play some horrible hoofball this season but I don’t think we can say for sure that this is all on Warne and, if we go up, he’s going to have earned the right to have a go next season with (hopefully) better players 

It could well have been determined by all of the above. And ultimately, if we see the job out it will be a success. I could be and would like to be wrong, I just have a feeling it won't be much fun for us next year. 

1 hour ago, r_wilcockson said:

IF he gets us up, Warne's only goal next season is to keep us in the championship. If that takes playing turgid football, but finishing in mid table that's job done in my eyes. Last thing we need IF we go up, us to be looking relegation in the eyes like Wednesday and Plymouth. 

Everyone would take a mid table Championship season next year, and if Warne achieved that it would be a job well done. I'm slightly twitchy however that it'll be a real scrap at the bottom. Wednesday have awful recruitment of both the manager and players to blame and Plymouth are going to stay up from here. 

I must say I've gone off Warne the more the seasons gone on, his comedy interviews has a wiff of Holloway about them. Even when we're winning I have to say the football has been pretty average, certainly not easy on the eye.

But if we do achieve promotion I feel he does deserve a crack at the championship. If however it becomes quickly apparent that we're only going one way and floating around the relegation zone He'll need to go imo.

I really do hope he does well though if we go up as generally he comes across a decent guy.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

I'm sure this is a controversial take, but if we see out the job and secure promotion I think we should give Warne our sincere thanks, a good bonus and a full pay out of his contract and then we should part ways. 

Nothing against him personally, but I don't think the way we play football is sustainable for Derby in the long run, and I'm not sure Warne is the right man to take us any further. 

I'm sure that's not the way it will go, I just have a strong feeling that next year will be rough if we stay the same course.

I'm assuming that you are expecting Clowes to fund this pay off of his employee that will have just met his goal?

Hopefully, Clowes will realise the money will be better spent on funding the squad for next season.

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm assuming that you are expecting Clowes to fund this pay off of his employee that will have just met his goal?

Hopefully, Clowes will realise the money will be better spent on funding the squad for next season.

Naturally. But meeting a short term goal isn't the be all and end all. 

10 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Naturally. But meeting a short term goal isn't the be all and end all. 

I'd say we'd have to reign our next goal in if we are blowing money on paying off Warne and his coaching team with 2 years left on their contracts. 

Doubt we would be much of a pull for any potential managers if we'd just sacked one that got us promoted.

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

I'm sure this is a controversial take, but if we see out the job and secure promotion I think we should give Warne our sincere thanks, a good bonus and a full pay out of his contract and then we should part ways. 

Nothing against him personally, but I don't think the way we play football is sustainable for Derby in the long run, and I'm not sure Warne is the right man to take us any further. 

I'm sure that's not the way it will go, I just have a strong feeling that next year will be rough if we stay the same course.

Thank Warne, give him a bonus, and give him a pay-off before a ball has been kicked? All based on a feeling? 

What sense would there be in that?

I don’t dispute we will be operating a bigger budget if we go up. However surely we will still need to spend and use our resources wisely? 

If we are looking to improve the squad and ensure we are competitive, surely every penny counts? Surely it would make more sense to invest everything we can in the team? Bear in mind, we’d not just be paying off Warne but also any staff that came in to be part of his team.

Why would you advocate for a change upon promotion? The only way it would make sense to me is if working relationships behind the scenes were irreparably damaged and there is no evidence of that, to my knowledge.

I don’t understand why you assume the style of play is destined to be terrible. Maybe I am wrong but I figure it will be determined by the players Warne and the club can attract. Surely Warne will be trying to get better players who can do what he wants more effectively. Perhaps these better players will be more well rounded and able to play in more than one way.

We have played good football at times under Warne and usually it has been built around the better players we have had. If we sign 3-4 players with the ability of a Bird or the flair and vision of a McGoldrick, why can’t we go up and play a brand of football that is pleasing to the manager and the fans?

Edited by Jourdan

7 minutes ago, richinspain said:

But surely you need to meet the short term goals to be able to meet the longer term ones? 🤔

Never claimed anything to the contrary. 

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'd say we'd have to reign our next goal in if we are blowing money on paying off Warne and his coaching team with 2 years left on their contracts. 

Doubt we would be much of a pull for any potential managers if we'd just sacked one that got us promoted.

We'd be even less of a pull for managers if we for example hit November and decide to fire Warne in a panic if we weren't doing well. 

4 hours ago, Oldben said:

Just assuming we will not have a decent budget in the Championship compared to many other teams.

The best available players there might look at us and say they've only just been promoted and they might be relegated, there are better championship teams we could play for.

Money counts, will we have that.

Will our budget be significantly more than warne had at Rotherham.

A number of the players we've signed barely got a place on the substitutes bench at the championship teams they came from.

Equally there will be players who want to be with a club that can attract 30,000 fans every week and the potential that brings. I know it’s a money game, a lot of life is, but I’ll bet my cotton socks there are still dreamers out there who think beyond the pay cheque at the end of the month despite what their agents tell them. 

6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Thank Warne, give him a bonus, and give him a pay-off before a ball has been kicked? All based on a feeling? 

What sense would there be in that?

I don’t dispute we will be operating a bigger budget if we go up. However surely we will still need to spend and use our resources wisely? 

If we are looking to improve the squad and ensure we are competitive, surely every penny counts? Surely it would make more sense to invest everything we can in the team? Bear in mind, we’d not just be paying off Warne but also any staff that came in to be part of his team.

Why would you advocate for a change upon promotion? The only way it would make sense to me is if working relationships behind the scenes were irreparably damaged and there is no evidence of that, to my knowledge.

I don’t understand why you assume the style of play is destined to be terrible. Maybe I am wrong but I figure it will be determined by the players Warne and the club can attract. Surely Warne will be trying to get better players who can do what he wants more effectively. Perhaps these better players will be more well rounded and able to play in more than one way.

We have played good football at times under Warne and usually it has been built around the better players we have had. If we sign 3-4 players with the ability of a Bird or the flair and vision of a McGoldrick, why can’t we go up and play a brand of football that is pleasing to the manager and the fans?

Not saying what I think Clowes will do, this is all of course just my opinion.

The sense is that it gives us the opportunity to build a squad for a new manager with a new direction and a clean slate. 

I would argue that it could well be a wise use of resources as the alternative could be far more costly. 

Say if we are to invest everything into the team Warne wants, and things don't work in the Championship, aren't we then entrenched into the Warne style by having players purchased to play that way? 

My opinion on the style of play is based from what we've seen so far. Maybe it'll change with better players, I imagine that fundamentally it will be the same as we've seen. Personally, I don't really enjoy that. Some people probably do which is fair enough, but you have to admit that at the very least the style is polarising amongst the fans which is never a positive. 

Anyway, If Warne gets us back he has my backing unless we look like relegation fodder. If we are mid table in mid season, scoring a decent number of goals then I’m onside and happy to see us rebuild the structure and finances of the club. We have to be competing but the prem can wait a season or two ! 

It’s results .. end of story 

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Not saying what I think Clowes will do, this is all of course just my opinion.

The sense is that it gives us the opportunity to build a squad for a new manager with a new direction and a clean slate. 

I would argue that it could well be a wise use of resources as the alternative could be far more costly. 

Say if we are to invest everything into the team Warne wants, and things don't work in the Championship, aren't we then entrenched into the Warne style by having players purchased to play that way? 

My opinion on the style of play is based from what we've seen so far. Maybe it'll change with better players, I imagine that fundamentally it will be the same as we've seen. Personally, I don't really enjoy that. Some people probably do which is fair enough, but you have to admit that at the very least the style is polarising amongst the fans which is never a positive. 

Say if we sack and pay off Warne, hire a new manager and his way of playing does not come off and he has us hovering around the relegation zone, will it still have been a wise use of resources?

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Say if we sack and pay off Warne, hire a new manager and his way of playing does not come off and he has us hovering around the relegation zone, will it still have been a wise use of resources?

Evidently not. It's a gamble one way or another, probably more risky to fire Warne. It would be my preference to roll the dice personally as I think the potential upside could be higher.

We would have stayed up comfortably 2 years ago with a defence that was 117 years old, two blokes who are playing for Aberdeen, 6 youngsters who'd never kicked a first team ball, two constantly injured strikers with a combined of nearly 70 and Lawrence who loved a red card when we looked like making an escape.  We'll be fine with some tinkering.  Best get there first.  Start by not lumping the ball into the box all day Saturday.  At our place they ate it all day without breaking sweat. 

34 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We would have stayed up comfortably 2 years ago with a defence that was 117 years old, two blokes who are playing for Aberdeen, 6 youngsters who'd never kicked a first team ball, two constantly injured strikers with a combined of nearly 70 and Lawrence who loved a red card when we looked like making an escape.  We'll be fine with some tinkering.  Best get there first.  Start by not lumping the ball into the box all day Saturday.  At our place they ate it all day without breaking sweat. 

And we had paid £10 mill for Lawrence & Waghorn who both walked at the end of their contracts . A lesson to be learned there .

3 hours ago, r_wilcockson said:

IF he gets us up, Warne's only goal next season is to keep us in the championship. If that takes playing turgid football, but finishing in mid table that's job done in my eyes. Last thing we need IF we go up, us to be looking relegation in the eyes like Wednesday and Plymouth. 

Something to really look forward to then. 😐